Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I am as unique as my fingerprints are or the sunrise and sunset. I am God's art work and not a xerox copy or a rendition of anyone else. My soul, my spirit is not of the physical universe and makes me unique, not my flesh and bones. That is just a collection of dust to which that part will be returned from where it came.
"I am as unique as my fingerprints are or the sunrise and sunset." - Dave_n_Tenn

We all have fingerprints, and sunrises and sunsets occur every day so predictably that the moment of their occurrence can be predicted to the exact second. So, again, uniqueness is a matter of interpretation.

"I am God's art work and not a xerox copy or a rendition of anyone else." - Dave_n_Tenn

Is this "God's art work" concept of yours simply something that you have conjured up in your imagination and declared to be valid, or does it have some sort of actual physical reality that can be exhibited?

"My soul, my spirit is not of the physical universe and makes me unique, not my flesh and bones." - Dave_n_Tenn

Is this "soul," and "spirit" concept of yours simply something that you have conjured up in your imagination and declared to be valid, or does it have some sort of actual physical reality that can be exhibited?

"That is just a collection of dust to which that part will be returned from where it came." - Dave_n_Tenn

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Reminds me a bit of a thread I started some time ago...

Science and religion is a recognized field of study

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...eld-study.html

Put it this way, there is what we can know and there is what we can't, but not being able to know something is a vacuum that should not be filled with beliefs not supported by the facts. Not as far as some of us are concerned when it comes to understanding all that is going on around us. If we want to speculate or imagine, fine, but call it what it is. No different from how books are classified as fiction or non-fiction.
You do not establish facts before discovery... that's not how it works. If you're stuck within the confines of what we know... then you're stuck. You can teach, do, make things, but you are unable to explore possibilities of what the universe presents. If you're open to what can be imagined' you're unstuck.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Flat earth was once considered a fact and a round earth speculative fiction.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:00 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
While I understand being one in the spirit... the concept of oneness doesn't ring true to me. I'm with God but of God, for I am a lesser being. The Trinity is the Oneness I see as true. In much the same way as I am one with my world or the earth I am not of this earth, but yet part of it.

I am a unique creation. I am self aware of my uniqueness as a creation. I like that. I have an ego, a mind and feel the esteeming from God who created me and loves me. I am of myself yet part of everything like a cell within a larger organism. I have been made one with God but not of God.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it
I like here how at least you call it a "story."

We've all got 'em...

Old 09-24-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I am as unique as my fingerprints are or the sunrise and sunset. I am God's art work and not a xerox copy or a rendition of anyone else. My soul, my spirit is not of the physical universe and makes me unique, not my flesh and bones. That is just a collection of dust to which that part will be returned from where it came.
Being unique does not mean we were created by God...

Your comments are why some people think these notions about how we are so special, created by God, "in his image," are ego driven. We insist we are divinely created and that there is more to us and our existence than "meets the eye." It seems that inclination is driven more by ego and emotion rather than the facts as we know them. Something I like to keep in check when pondering the meaning of it all...

Old 09-24-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I like here how at least you call it a "story."

We've all got 'em...
It's not A story. It's my story... and don't play word games with me.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:08 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I have known people who think even just questioning the existence of god is the work of the devil...

When people come to believe what they do, especially after a certain age, confirmation bias begins to take over and nothing in the way of facts, reason or logic -- new or old -- is going to change what people believe "with all their heart." What they have believed for a long time now.

It has always been a strong interest of mine to develop a test that could measure how "open minded" a person is, or to what extent their thinking is ruled by confirmation bias. Then again, I'm not even sure people would accept what such a test would prove.

I happened upon such a test, kind of a dumb one in my opinion. More of a marketing ploy than a true test, but I took it anyway just for kicks. My results came out "47% Open Minded: You are a relatively open-minded person, even though you also hold some beliefs about the world that might be considered conservative. You're almost always willing to listen to someone else's opinion, and sometimes you may even surprise yourself by doing something totally out of character!"

How Open-Minded Are You?

https://brainfall.com/quizzes/how-open-minded-are-you/
I am 90% open-minded. Surprised, because as I answered I figured I would fall more in the middle. It was easy to see which answers would get you a high or low score, of course, but I was honest.

Of course, we can't put too much stock into Internet pop psychology quizzes. Some questions were interesting, like the one about the misogynistic writer. I've admired actors and other entertainers for their work, even though I was repelled by some of their personal views. The recently-departed Ed Asner, a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, comes to mind. He bought into some bizarro ideas, but I still liked him as an actor.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-24-2021 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-24-2021, 10:09 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
You do not establish facts before discovery... that's not how it works. If you're stuck within the confines of what we know... then you're stuck. You can teach, do, make things, but you are unable to explore possibilities of what the universe presents. If you're open to what can be imagined' you're unstuck.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Flat earth was once considered a fact and a round earth speculative fiction.
I would very much enjoy continuing with this discussion, but at the moment I am away from home on a trip. However, if the good Lord is willing (pun ) and the plane don't crash, I will be home by tonight. So perhaps we can continue with the discussion in further detail tomorrow.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your black/white digital classification refuses to acknowledge the vast middle ground between fiction and nonfiction. There is a vast spectrum of things that run from consistent with KNOWN science versus those things inconsistent or even contradictory to known science.

Your Black/white schema blinds you to the shades of grey between. You act as if there are no differences among highly plausible, probable, and ridiculous. That is what a closed mind by a preferred belief looks like.
Wrong again...

Though I may not be understanding you here. If something is neither fiction nor non-fiction, what is it?

Of course there is a vast spectrum between what we know and what we don't know. If this is the "gray area" you are referring to, I'm quite aware. For me personally, however, I like to properly recognize what is fiction vs non-fiction. Fact from what can't be confirmed a fact. You may see this as binary, and to some extent it is, but I think the commitment to making these distinctions is helpful when considering all the gray area in between.

You seem to have a blind spot when it comes to recognizing the in betweens as I see them...

Old 09-24-2021, 10:14 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Wrong again...

Though I may not be understanding you here. If something is neither fiction nor non-fiction, what is it?

Of course there is a vast spectrum between what we know and what we don't know. If this is the "gray area" you are referring to, I'm quite aware. For me personally, however, I like to properly recognize what is fiction vs non-fiction. Fact from what can't be confirmed a fact. You may see this as binary, and to some extent it is, but I think the commitment to making these distinctions is helpful when considering all the gray area in between.

You seem to have a blind spot when it comes to recognizing the in betweens as I see them...
In the writing world, there is a category called "creative nonfiction". It can be quite the fun pursuit.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
"I am as unique as my fingerprints are or the sunrise and sunset." - Dave_n_Tenn

We all have fingerprints, and sunrises and sunsets occur every day so predictably that the moment of their occurrence can be predicted to the exact second. So, again, uniqueness is a matter of interpretation.

"I am God's art work and not a xerox copy or a rendition of anyone else." - Dave_n_Tenn

Is this "God's art work" concept of yours simply something that you have conjured up in your imagination and declared to be valid, or does it have some sort of actual physical reality that can be exhibited?

"My soul, my spirit is not of the physical universe and makes me unique, not my flesh and bones." - Dave_n_Tenn

Is this "soul," and "spirit" concept of yours simply something that you have conjured up in your imagination and declared to be valid, or does it have some sort of actual physical reality that can be exhibited?

"That is just a collection of dust to which that part will be returned from where it came." - Dave_n_Tenn

I agree.
When I present myself and my thoughts I do it with the expressed understanding of what I believe is true. Can I be wrong ? of course, but I don't believe that I am. We are not here to prove or disprove each other, that's what children do, we are here to explore.

If you choose to disprove me, mock me, try and make me look foolish ... have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality