Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 01:24 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Challenge: "an objection or query as to the truth of something".

Doesn't seem very offensive to me. Doesn't bother me when I am challenged. It can be done in a crude and unintelligent way...perhaps like you challenging my posts...as you OFTEN have done.
Then it must be a pleasurable activity to be challenged. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 04:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Challenge: "an objection or query as to the truth of something".

Doesn't seem very offensive to me. Doesn't bother me when I am challenged. It can be done in a crude and unintelligent way...perhaps like you challenging my posts...as you OFTEN have done.
That's a flat out intellectually dishonest statement by you.

Some of us are only here to discuss beliefs and how they comport to what we see. You are here to "fight" religion (you over react to billboards for no ba jesus sake) and will use any, no matter how nonferrous, tactic to do it.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 09-25-2021 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-25-2021, 11:55 PM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Does anyone LIKE. to be challenged? That is a rude, crude and unintelligent way to invite anyone to “explore” with you. Where did you get that idea?
Yes, I like to be challenged. It is not rude unless done in a rude way. Give me new evidence and make a rational argument why that evidence fits better, and I will evaluate that with what I currently believe. Unfortunately I usually get the same repeated flawed arguments, or an arrogant false superiority from fools pretending to be wise.

You sound like 'explore' means agreeing with what you say, especially as you refuse to explore ideas I have presented from my background knowledge.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:57 PM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
I think the whole atheist position and their arguments look foolish. Actually they seem pathetic to me the way they preach their religion.
Now does this matter to you?
If you could present rational arguments for this, it would still be challenging but not rude.

All you are doing here is being rude, not challenging atheism.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:01 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
I think the whole atheist position and their arguments look foolish. Actually they seem pathetic to me the way they preach their religion.
Now does this matter to you?
re·li·gion
/rəˈlijən/
noun
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
https://www.google.com/search?q=reli...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Since atheism is specifically defined as being without/sans (a) a belief in a superhuman controlling power (theism), atheism is specifically not a religion. Atheism is in fact the polar opposite of religion. The ongoing effort by the religious to re-define atheism as a type of religion serves to underscore just how confused and ignorant the religious actually are.

If "the whole atheist position and their arguments look foolish" to you, then it is incumbent upon you to provide the solid argument that serves to effectively illustrate to everyone here just how and why your religious beliefs are true. If you could provide an effective argument for your beliefs the atheists here would quietly slip away. If the facts and the logic are on your side, you should prevail easily.

So the ball is, as it has been for some time, in your court. What exactly is it that you have been waiting for all this time? Decimate us with the undeniable efficacy of your argument.

If you can not, then you can reasonably expect to continue to be dismissed as just another confused and ignorant religious crank.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
re·li·gion
/rəˈlijən/
noun
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
https://www.google.com/search?q=reli...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Since atheism is specifically defined as being without/sans (a) a belief in a superhuman controlling power (theism), atheism is specifically not a religion. Atheism is in fact the polar opposite of religion. The ongoing effort by the religious to re-define atheism as a type of religion serves to underscore just how confused and ignorant the religious actually are.

If "the whole atheist position and their arguments look foolish" to you, then it is incumbent upon you to provide the solid argument that serves to effectively illustrate to everyone here just how and why your religious beliefs are true. If you could provide an effective argument for your beliefs the atheists here would quietly slip away. If the facts and the logic are on your side, you should prevail easily.

So the ball is, as it has been for some time, in your court. What exactly is it that you have been waiting for all this time? Decimate us with the undeniable efficacy of your argument.

If you can not, then you can reasonably expect to continue to be dismissed as just another confused and ignorant religious crank.
. Sometimes when you pull a quote out of context and argue with it, you look foolish.
Find something else to entertain yourself.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:40 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Does anyone LIKE. to be challenged? That is a rude, crude and unintelligent way to invite anyone to “explore” with you. Where did you get that idea?
I enjoy being challenged. Invite and promote being challenged. Might be why others feel offended by the likes while for others like me it's no biggie whatsoever.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:46 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Why do they seem tricky to you? Because you really do not understand or see the purpose of poetry and dont want to admit it?
What exactly is poetry expressing creatively? To you. Are you unable to mention even one piece of poetry?
Wish I had the time to get into this today, but I don't. Things to do before I pick up my wife at the airport...

Let me just say with what time I do have before signing off this morning, first, asking whether yours are trick questions was/is another way for me to imply I don't get the point of your questions. Secondly, I think I do understand the purpose of poetry and have no problem admitting it, but I'm not sure there is only one purpose for poetry. I'm certainly not sure what it has to do with separating fact from fiction. Poetry, like music, art, is creative and can express any number of different things. Communicate any number of emotions. Conjure up all manner of mental and emotional imagery.

I'm not all that big a fan of poetry as a general rule, but if lyrics in songs that I appreciate is anything close FAR AS YOU ARE CONCERNED, then maybe I'm not so far from understanding you and/or poetry as you want to suggest. This too is fact and not fiction I might add.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wish I had the time to get into this today, but I don't. Things to do before I pick up my wife at the airport...

Let me just say with what time I do have before signing off this morning, first, asking whether yours are trick questions was/is another way for me to imply I don't get the point of your questions. Secondly, I think I do understand the purpose of poetry and have no problem admitting it, but I'm not sure there is only one purpose for poetry. I'm certainly not sure what it has to do with separating fact from fiction. Poetry, like music, art, is creative and can express any number of different things. Communicate any number of emotions. Conjure up all manner of mental and emotional imagery.

I'm not all that big a fan of poetry as a general rule, but if lyrics in songs that I appreciate is anything close FAR AS YOU ARE CONCERNED, then maybe I'm not so far from understanding you and/or poetry as you want to suggest. This too is fact and not fiction I might add.
Saying there is more than one purpose for poetry is fudge talk, nonsense. It is clear you are not a fan so i am not sure why you would think it has a purpose. When you understand poetry you will understand that fact and fiction are in a continuum. Both are illusion.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:13 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
. Sometimes when you pull a quote out of context and argue with it, you look foolish.
Find something else to entertain yourself.
Religion is specifically defined as the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. To be an A-THEIST is to be A (without) - THEOS (religious belief). The definition is right in the name.

Do you find that you are unable (or unwilling) to actually express and defend what it is you suppose you believe? Jesus will be unimpressed that you couldn't be bothered when you were offered the chance.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality