Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2021, 10:57 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"That's the spirit!"

It’s the cheerleader….AND atheist….in me! I’m high-spirited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 12:47 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
That's how I see it.

I am an atheist so I talk about this stuff from that perspective. I don't say to myself "spiritual woo type people say [this] and since I am an atheist so I have to say [that]". I just don't answer to them or religion.

I say mind, body, and spirit. As an atheist, its not a supernatural deity spirit. Its just like a "mood" or "state of mind", or "emotion", or whatever that "synergetic" summation means to a person.

"Human Love" is a subroutine in humans. It is being express via a series of state changes. Those state changes, depending on what one knows, happens in chemistry or the 17 fields and 4 forces. Or whatever the total set of events taking place around us that forms us is.

"Human love", I do not think exists outside of the volume of the universe that is us tho. "Caring for another volume of space-time (we call objects)", can that happen outside of "human"?

The only thing I can say for sure is that this region of space-time is clearly acting more like a unit than isolated pieces. It is my opinion that people getting "discombobulated" over that kind of statement are more attached to their beliefs or they are trying to convince themselves or they really just don't know any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your mind's ability to encompass these kinds of thoughts and conceptualizations is somehow more than the result of your science training, Arach. Far too many with science training do NOT have the same ability!
People like Pelroo, MQ, RONY, L8, and eylnn that can process it without any training are far more impressive to me.

"religion" is like shackles for some. They are either shackled to having to just focus on bad religion or they are shackled to only their religion. They can't think for themselves without having "religion" as the primary focus.

Old 10-10-2021, 12:47 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
When I was in high school, we talked about “school spirit” on the cheerleading squad…so I don’t think I’m used to taking “spirit” so literally as you to mean supernatural.
When I think of the word spirit or spiritual in the context of belief I think of those feelings of interconnectedness and awe. The feeling that you are part of something larger.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:15 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
People like Pleroo, MQ, RONY, L8, and eylnn that can process it without any training are far more impressive to me.

"religion" is like shackles for some. They are either shackled to having to just focus on bad religion or they are shackled to only their religion. They can't think for themselves without having "religion" as the primary focus.
I have to concur!

Old 10-10-2021, 01:38 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
When I think of the word spirit or spiritual in the context of belief I think of those feelings of interconnectedness and awe.

Because you’re thinking of the word in the context of belief & that’s Ok. BUT..I’m not. IMO the human spirit….our passions, enthusiasm, feelings & love are awe inspiring without a belief in god. It’s within all of us & it doesn’t take a belief in any religion to have it. It’s human^^…not godly.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Because you’re thinking of the word in the context of belief & that’s Ok. BUT..I’m not. IMO the human spirit….our passions, enthusiasm, feelings & love are awe inspiring without a belief in god. It’s within all of us & it doesn’t take a belief in any religion to have it. It’s human^^…not godly.
That's why we need a new word. That context is the only way we have to communicate such types of experiences.

I can't take credit for this as I agreed with Sam Harris.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:50 PM

We also have to be honest with ourselves. Are we more worried about what we "mean" and "how the claim is consistent with observation" or are we worried about "baggage" and "practical for me".

Old 10-10-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
We also have to be honest with ourselves. Are we more worried about what we "mean" and "how the claim is consistent with observation" or are we worried about "baggage" and "practical for me".
I think those are two different things. If my model of reality is based on what works for me then it will be useless when trying to do things where prediction and accuracy are important. The universe doesn't care what I think. If I believe I can live off sunlight I will die.

If I aim for accuracy in matters of a creative nature or that inner world I will end up limiting myself.

Either way, I think you nailed it with the term consistency. Both worlds need to have fidelity to themselves and inconsistency is a red flag something is off.

Old 10-10-2021, 05:53 PM

When we are talking about beliefs in a belief forum, are we talking about beliefs and seeing where they are consistent with observations and trying to help people form beliefs that work for them and us as a group, or are we worried about stopping specific peoples beliefs first.

How would the two approaches express themselves up in a belief forum. What would we see people posting that have to tow a line that's meets an personal goal.

Does refusing to connect any dots end up with the same unreliability as drawling anything we want between dots.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
When we are talking about beliefs in a belief forum, are we talking about beliefs and seeing where they are consistent with observations and trying to help people form beliefs that work for them and us as a group, or are we worried about stopping specific peoples beliefs first.

How would the two approaches express themselves up in a belief forum. What would we see people posting that have to tow a line that's meets an personal goal.

Does refusing to connect any dots end up with the same unreliability as drawling anything we want between dots.
I'm concerned with helping myself free myself from the damage caused to me. I like seeing the different viewpoints. I especially like the atheists who teach me logical reasoning over the emotional reasoning I grew up in. I especially like the humanist theists who prove the Watchtower lied about what it means to be a Christain.

I'm no teacher of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality