Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 10:14 AM

63,570 posts, read 39,862,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
How about explaining why you describe yourself as an atheist at age 8? Why not agnostic?
You know..., as in the topic of this thread?
Really. I'd like to know, and maybe it would be helpful to those who can't seem to make such a distinction. This is the primary question I had in mind when I started this thread after all...
Even at a very very young age, my intellect simply could not accept ANY of the supposed explanations for God. That equates to atheism. IMO the waffling and weasel words of agnosticism or mere "lack of belief" reflect an unwillingness to acknowledge the true status of their beliefs probably for social reasons (or that stupid burden of proof nonsense to demand the default).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, once again I demand evidence. Why do you insist on getting that wrong?
News Flash: You cannot demand evidence without rejecting all existing evidence as evidence of God!!! You have no basis for that rejection because you do NOT KNOW what it is actually evidence OF. Assuming your preferred labels for the evidence is part and parcel of your unconscious and unwarranted arrogance of assuming the default.
Quote:
No, I have the education, I want evidence you do.
The shallowness of your thinking suggests you need a lot more, especially coming from a Greek background. You shame your philosophical forefathers.
Quote:
No evidence for the supernatural, but a large, old universe full of natural forces, atheism comes out on top, period!
There is no such thing as the supernatural because we don't even know what the "natural" or "universe" or "multiverse" or ??? actually IS, let alone what those "natural forces" actually are.
Quote:
Then stop arguing about it, because no one else is.
See, you don't even realize what you assume as given in your thinking. Your education needs a lot of work.
Quote:
Once again you ignore over 8 billion KNOWN data points, conscious people with brains.
I ignore nothing. I point out that whatever the hell our existence is it undeniably includes consciousness because of that evidence.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:33 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,539,757 times
IMO it doesn’t matter what you call yourself @ the top of the thread^^…….3 things are necessary to consider with an open mind:

Science
Love
Humanity

Ppl have a way of getting lost when they forget about any one of them.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:23 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,074,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Even at a very very young age, my intellect simply could not accept ANY of the supposed explanations for God. That equates to atheism. IMO the waffling and weasel words of agnosticism or mere "lack of belief" reflect an unwillingness to acknowledge the true status of their beliefs probably for social reasons (or that stupid burden of proof nonsense to demand the default).
This is me 100%.
I was raised in a Baptist family, and when I was old enough to comprehend what was being taught, I felt uneasy, even as a young child. Even then, none of it made sense to me.
Fortunately, our family didn't attend church on a regular basis by the time I was a preteen.

I'm an Atheist and have been for 45 years.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:16 AM

29,435 posts, read 9,617,720 times
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks...

Seems this "burden of proof" issue is yet another sticking point of many that is not quite the issue for me as it is for you and others, but otherwise I mostly agree with how you distinguish those who claim to be agnostic versus atheist.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO it doesn’t matter what you call yourself @ the top of the thread^^…….3 things are necessary to consider with an open mind:

Science
Love
Humanity

Ppl have a way of getting lost when they forget about any one of them.
IMO, none of this really matters, but if the idea is to understand and address what different people think about these sorts of distinctions, what you call yourself often helps the understanding along. Especially if complimented with an explanation. I better understand Mystic's thinking about this now, for example. Better than I understand yours I think...

Old 10-26-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
This is me 100%.
I was raised in a Baptist family, and when I was old enough to comprehend what was being taught, I felt uneasy, even as a young child. Even then, none of it made sense to me.
Fortunately, our family didn't attend church on a regular basis by the time I was a preteen.

I'm an Atheist and have been for 45 years.
Not 100% then, because Mystic is not an atheist like you and I...

Old 10-26-2021, 12:24 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,539,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I better understand Mystic's thinking about this now, for example. Better than I understand yours I think...

Well… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ love isn’t religious, it’s human. So…I don’t know why you have such a super hard time putting all 3 together….atheism (science), love & humanity.

(*IMO) We live in a world without any god ofc…but who wants to live in a cold world without any love, compassion & kindness? Not moi.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 10-26-2021 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 12:03 AM

16,633 posts, read 4,916,196 times
Quote:
News Flash: You cannot demand evidence without rejecting all existing evidence as evidence of God!!! You have no basis for that rejection because you do NOT KNOW what it is actually evidence OF. Assuming your preferred labels for the evidence is part and parcel of your unconscious and unwarranted arrogance of assuming the default. The shallowness of your thinking suggests you need a lot more, especially coming from a Greek background. You shame your philosophical forefathers. There is no such thing as the supernatural because we don't even know what the "natural" or "universe" or "multiverse" or ??? actually IS, let alone what those "natural forces" actually are. See, you don't even realize what you assume as given in your thinking. Your education needs a lot of work. I ignore nothing. I point out that whatever the hell our existence is it undeniably includes consciousness because of that evidence.
Please, must we hear your lame excuses and fallacies every day?

Post 95

Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Please, must we hear your lame excuses and fallacies every day?
Post 95
Because your ignorance and hubris offend my intellect.
Quote:
There is no confusion or discord over those facts. They play no role in the controversies raised in the R&S fora. It is those things that cannot BE validated as fact but are assumed to be that cause the discord such as the "fact" that God does not exist and has to somehow be proven to exist. That is NOT a fact of our Reality because our Reality itself could BE God. To assume it is fact until proven otherwise is completely unwarranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality