Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2021, 04:48 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are also views, opinions, beliefs.
and every path of religion and spirituality contains within it a philosophy.
So?

I have this feeling that you are just in the mood to argue today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 09:52 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think this thread is a pretty good analysis of LearnMe’s manifesto. Maybe we can all understand what Universal Truths are a little better now on its own without being inserted into unrelated threads.
I had not noticed this thread resurrected, and I'm always curious why the preference to address my Ten Truths here rather than in the thread I originally started about this, but clearly my Ten Truths remain stuck in your craw for some reason. I kind of like that fact...

"Manifesto." What a hoot!

So what you want to suggest here is the best way to understand universal truths is by way of Irkle Berserkle perspective rather than mine? Of course. Why am I in the least bit surprised?

Old 12-13-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
keeping a thread on topic is a rational reasonable mature behavior.
True, but I'd like to add that in my threads I have never fretted over deviations from topic. I don't in any threads actually. One never really knows from where the best "nuggets of truth" might come from...

Old 12-13-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just a heads up. There are over 3900 references to Jesus in The Book of Mormon. There are zero references to Joseph Smith.
Good point. Funny how here too, you quote Irk's comment, but those are my words...

It might have been better if I had mentioned in my third truth the Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith. What I actually wrote is that "many books also stem from these beliefs." The Book of Mormon certainly one of the many.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Oops. There goes Truth #3.
Another look at how "objective" and fair one can be when considering these truths...

Old 12-13-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
do you apply that to sacred texts as well? "Just because there is a possible error does not mean the rest of it is invalid"
there is no scientific evidence or scientific proof that any of the items listed as "Ten Truths" are facts.

certainly anyone is free to invent and imagine their own opinions, views, and beliefs, and post it in the religion and spirituality forum, as an expression of their own personal path of religion and spirituality.

otherwise if their interest was science, they would post it in the science section.
if their interest was philosophy, they would post it in the philosophy section.
if their interest was improving the world it could be posted in Relationships or Psychology.
but the pronounced proselytizing in the list labeled "Ten Truths" places it squarely in the camp of a tract summarizing their own personal path of religion and spirituality.
I hate to think how many times I've addressed your comments in my original Ten Truths thread and many others. In particular with people who simply can't accept the obvious about what I tried to explain. In the process the truth most obviously proven is that confirmation bias rules this forum like no supreme being could do better!

Old 12-13-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
back to basics: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
simple logic: it is impossible for science to "know what can not be."

just like when you were an atheist you used the same argument "we know from science it can not be."
you're still using the same dogmatic argument which by your own experience you now know is flawed.

glossary: dogmatic, "inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true."
Absence of evidence is absence of evidence.

Evidence has value and meaning. Lack of evidence has value and meaning. The trick is to properly recognize the value and meaning of each.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:08 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So?

I have this feeling that you are just in the mood to argue today.
Today?

Old 12-13-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
the question stands, for anyone to respond:
Your question is something like the one asking how many times a man beats his wife...

There is what we can prove "beyond a reasonable doubt," and there is what we can't. How we judge the truth about any claims of truth that cannot be proven as such is an individual matter or choice. Some of us will choose one way and others will choose another. Some will talk "apples." Others will talk "oranges."

Nothing too complicated or difficult to understand here I don't think...

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-13-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would remind you that the original post in this thread was not written by the same poster who wrote the Ten Truths essay.
I think the goal is to make sure my Ten Truths are given no more attention than possible, other than in a negative light by those who seem to have such heartburn accepting the obvious. Yet another amusing dynamic forever alive and well in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality