Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2021, 10:13 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes. The opening post encompasses both as a thread topic, and the thread title reflects that: "Science as a religion: the 'ten truths' revisited. "
Science is not a religion. In fact quite the opposite.

Another fact apparently hard for some to simply accept for reasons that defy the imagination...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So?

I have this feeling that you are just in the mood to argue today.
It is always either to simply argue or state still more obvious truths. What are opinions for example. (As if we all don't know). Interesting to note as well how there is much more about what is opinion and philosophy as opposed to what are facts, truths.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:19 AM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
No.

There is a difference between a "fact" and a statement of philosophy.
Since all scientific facts are repeatable "measurement events," the most that can be said about characterizing them as vibratory aspects of the spacetime field is that they are spherical standing wave manifestations. That does not significantly limit their characterization as "facts" because standing waves are somewhat permanent despite the transience of the waves comprising them.

But it seems inescapable that the vibratory nature of everything provides significant ambiguity about what does or does not exist rendering the "universal truth" characterization somewhat suspect. There has to be some aspect other than the field itself ordering or generating these standing wave manifestations (you know what I call God ).

Old 12-13-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Today?
Funny. I almost posted the exact same question, but I chose otherwise. Only to see here I'm certainly not the only one thinking the same thing.

I really appreciate the hoots along the way, and it's nice to see my Ten Truths are still inspiring the use of brain cells by others. The discussion was and still is more the goal over anything else. What is worth thinking about along these lines. Regardless what we might call these ten points of consideration...

Old 12-13-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think the goal is to make sure my Ten Truths are given no more attention than possible, other than in a negative light by those who seem to have such heartburn accepting the obvious. Yet another amusing dynamic forever alive and well in this forum.
Your sense of persecution here is derivative of your arrogance about what is "obvious" about Reality. That would seem to be rooted in insufficient scientific knowledge about what seems to be the actual status of our Reality.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:27 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your sense of persecution here is derivative of your arrogance about what is "obvious" about Reality. That would seem to be rooted in insufficient scientific knowledge about what seems to be the actual status of our Reality.
Where did he mention "persecution"?

Old 12-13-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Since all scientific facts are repeatable "measurement events," the most that can be said about characterizing them as vibratory aspects of the spacetime field is that they are spherical standing wave manifestations. That does not significantly limit their characterization as "facts" because standing waves are somewhat permanent despite the transience of the waves comprising them.

But it seems inescapable that the vibratory nature of everything provides significant ambiguity about what does or does not exist rendering the "universal truth" characterization somewhat suspect. There has to be some aspect other than the field itself ordering or generating these standing wave manifestations (you know what I call God ).
Time for me to run along now, and again I appreciate the fact this topic has been revisited. If nothing else because it is clear much confusion still remains in the minds of some about the simple facts of these matters I've tried to explain as best I know how. I see CB started still another thread about pretty much the same topic. About science and religion. The beat goes on! I'll sign off now with another simple attempt at getting to the nut of these matters...

Let us not waste time trying to define and redefine what is truth vs opinion. Fact vs fiction and so on. None of us need another dumb lesson about what those terms mean. For me anyway, it's all simply a matter of recognizing what we can distill to be the truth for all concerned versus what we cannot. The matter of judgement about what we can recognize as fact and what we cannot is again a personal matter that will vary significantly from one individual to the next for all variety of reasons.

All of us who have participated in this forum and addressed this topic I call my "Ten Truths" have well demonstrated this fact as well. What we end up concluding about what is what is a very personal matter. Not to be confused with universal truths.

Here's to the truth of these matters!

Old 12-13-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I think the goal is to make sure my Ten Truths are given no more attention than possible, other than in a negative light by those who seem to have such heartburn accepting the obvious. Yet another amusing dynamic forever alive and well in this forum.
Quote:
Quote:
Where did he mention "persecution"?
More unnecessary pedantic bickering. His sentence in bold implies a sense of his Ten Truths being verbally "persecuted" over the "obvious," Phet. Let's not get all nit-picky about it.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:19 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Frankly this just popped up as I scrolled so I could give your 0 Truth its own space, and the thread you sneaked it in its own space.
You do have a persecution complex as Mystic says. You would rather dwell on that than respond to comments that you sought from Irkle whom you asked to read and comment. So you dont like his comments. But you can respond why, cant you? The reason is you cant.

You keep saying you already answered them but nobody is buying it that I can see. All I see is reams of pages excoriating your Truth because they simply do not make sense. Yet, you persevere. Carry on.
There are NO Universal Truths. Not in Science, never in Science. There are only facts as we know for now. That is it.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:24 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
More unnecessary pedantic bickering. His sentence in bold implies a sense of his Ten Truths being verbally "persecuted" over the "obvious," Phet. Let's not get all nit-picky about it.
I don't think that he was expressing an attitude on the forum that reaches the level of 'persecution'. In this case that's hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality