Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 06:57 AM

21,922 posts, read 19,049,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I was thinking about this part of the post as I took Mr Yap for his walk, not because the use of 'scientism' is a sign of a false 'teacher' who simply dismisses what they do not like, but also because it is a typical example of those pretending to be spiritual and wise because they have a superficial knowledge because they have casually read a book. The first thing to understand is the misrepresentation and misuse of the Daoist concept of the ten thousand things.The second is that genuine Daoists would laugh at the above, because one of the core ideas of Daoism is to question your beliefs and experiences, as the story of Zhuang Zhou who dreamed he was a butterfly* shows. Rational inquiry is a major part of Daoism, which is why things like Daoist medicine is used, because it has been tested and proven to work.* or was he a butterfly who dreamed he was a man?
what's funny is the post above claiming to (a) know and speak for what "genuine Daosists" would do.
and (b) setting itself up as an arbiter to determine who or what is a "genuine Daoist"
and (c) entertaining the notion that there even is such a thing as a "genuine Daoist."

neither a nor b nor c listed above are rational.

it would make for a good thread on its own, to address these follow up questions raised by the post above: So tell us how do you decide what or who is a "genuine Daoist." And where in Taoist scripture, sacred text, teachings are you finding that this is taught. And what for you distinguishes "genuine Daoist" from "non-genuine Daoist." And why would you feel the need to invent such a label of "genuine Daoist" in the first place?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-11-2023 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 09:23 AM

50,259 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what's funny is the post above claiming to (a) know and speak for what "genuine Daosists" would do.
and (b) setting itself up as an arbiter to determine who or what is a "genuine Daoist"
and (c) entertaining the notion that there even is such a thing as a "genuine Daoist."

it would make for a good thread on its own, to address these follow up questions raised by the post above: So tell us how do you decide what or who is a "genuine Daoist." And where in Taoist scripture, sacred text, teachings are you finding that this is taught. And what for you distinguishes "genuine Daoist" from "non-genuine Daoist." And why would you feel the need to invent such a label of "genuine Daoist" in the first place?
Well, let's ask almost the same questions to christians:

How do you decide what or who is a "real christian"?
What for you distinguishes a "real christian" from "non-real christian."
Why would you feel the need to invent such a label of "real christian" in the first place?

Old 01-11-2023, 09:54 AM

16,596 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Quote:

Your usual, ignorant, irrational, dismissal without evidence.

Quote:
it would make for a good thread on its own, to address these follow up questions raised by the post above: So tell us how do you decide what or who is a "genuine Daoist."
Someone who actually practices and studies Daoism

Quote:
And where in Taoist scripture, sacred text, teachings are you finding that this is taught.
It is not taught in the scripture, it is taught in the history of Daoism, where many fake Daoist priests are known to have existed. My wife's Gung Fu teacher, a Chinese Daoist professor of Chinese religious history and philosophy has some frightening tales about their cures they sold, and the punishments they received when caught.

Or do Chinese Daoist professors of Chinese religious history and philosophy know nothing about Daoism.

And we have people like you once falsely asserting Daoism has a cosmic consciousness as the ultimate source, just as Myuen misrepresented chapter 42 of the Dao De Ching.

Quote:
And what for you distinguishes "genuine Daoist" from "non-genuine Daoist."
A genuine Daoist is someone who actually practices and studies Daoism. A fake is one who does not. That you need this explaining to you is amusing.

Quote:
And why would you feel the need to invent such a label of "genuine Daoist" in the first place?
Because it describes reality. But then I forgot, to you, every spiritual or religious snake oil salesman must be genuine because they are spiritual or religious.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:19 AM

427 posts, read 124,697 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this part of the post as I took Mr Yap for his walk, not because the use of 'scientism' is a sign of a false 'teacher' who simply dismisses what they do not like, but also because it is a typical example of those pretending to be spiritual and wise because they have a superficial knowledge because they have casually read a book.

The first thing to understand is the misrepresentation and misuse of the Daoist concept of the ten thousand things.

The second is that genuine Daoists would laugh at the above, because one of the core ideas of Daoism is to question your beliefs and experiences, as the story of Zhuang Zhou who dreamed he was a butterfly* shows. Rational inquiry is a major part of Daoism, which is why things like Daoist medicine is used, because it has been tested and proven to work.

* or was he a butterfly who dreamed he was a man?

Harry, please don't go there. Even the Chinese today don't understand ancient Chinese thought. Modern China is driven by western technology. A Japanese guy, I met in Tokyo, told me "you can't use a technology if you don't have the philosophy". The Chinese think like you do in the west these days.

Ancient Chinese thought is inaccessible in the English language.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:25 AM

16,596 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Harry, please don't go there. Even the Chinese today don't understand ancient Chinese thought. Modern China is driven by western technology. A Japanese guy, I met in Tokyo, told me "you can't use a technology if you don't have the philosophy". The Chinese think like you do in the west these days.

Ancient Chinese thought is inaccessible in the English language.
No, the arguments are often still rational, especially when you look at other works than the Dao De Ching.

Also, my wife's Gung Fu teacher is a Chinese Daoist professor of Chinese religious history and philosophy.

But why warn me of the alleged dangers when you have no problem posting about Daosim?

Old 01-11-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
No, the arguments are often still rational, especially when you look at other works than the Dao De Ching.

Also, my wife's Gung Fu teacher is a Chinese Daoist professor of Chinese religious history and philosophy.

But why warn me of the alleged dangers when you have no problem posting about Daosim?

I did not invoke the teaching of the Tao Te Ching. I was using the western translation to convey a message that you obviously could grasp.

I hope you are not taking me on to debate classical Chinese thought. Invite your professor to join in. I would love to take him apart.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:06 AM

50,259 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
I did not invoke the teaching of the Tao Te Ching. I was using the western translation to convey a message that you obviously could grasp.

I hope you are not taking me on to debate classical Chinese thought. Invite your professor to join in. I would love to take him apart.
more ego

Old 01-11-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Using rational arguments is absolutely shocking? I suppose you would rather get a spiritualist on the witness stand to get in touch with the victim and ask who did it? Or what about a ducking stool for the alleged murderer?

I have consistently objected to the death sentence when questioned by defense lawyers and prosecution attorneys in the presence of judges presiding on murder trials. The only discomfort I felt was the presence of the accused who looked guilty as hell to me in every case. Even that did not budge me into breaking the 6th Commandment: Thou shall not kill. It disqualified me from jury duty every time.

Only beasts could bring themselves to vote for the execution of the accused. Rational thinking robs us of our humanity. Of this I have no doubt. My only unresolved inner conflict is eating meat because it involved killing sentient animals. I have gone vegetarian before, and even felt it was a healthy dietary practice. Why I don't go back to it is not a mystery. It's my western culinary culture.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:31 PM

15,833 posts, read 6,890,069 times
Quote:
Only beasts could bring themselves to vote for the execution of the accused. Rational thinking robs us of our humanity. Of this I have no doubt.
Love this.
And what to make of those, the family of the victim, who want to watch a man being electrocuted? And what do we do with the people involved who executed an innocent man, which happens a lot.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:11 PM

32,934 posts, read 26,165,604 times
Quote:
I have consistently objected to the death sentence when questioned by defense lawyers and prosecution attorneys in the presence of judges presiding on murder trials. The only discomfort I felt was the presence of the accused who looked guilty as hell to me in every case. Even that did not budge me into breaking the 6th Commandment: Thou shall not kill. It disqualified me from jury duty every time.

Only beasts could bring themselves to vote for the execution of the accused. Rational thinking robs us of our humanity. Of this I have no doubt. My only unresolved inner conflict is eating meat because it involved killing sentient animals. I have gone vegetarian before, and even felt it was a healthy dietary practice. Why I don't go back to it is not a mystery. It's my western culinary culture.
The 6th commandment did not say you will not kill. It said that you will not murder. The Mosaic law included the death penalty for certain crimes. Even Jesus stated it was a commandment of God that 'He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death.'' - Mark 7:10. A rather severe, and silly, reason to put someone to death, but that was the Mosaic law for you.

I have no problem with the death penalty quite apart from the Bible and would in fact volunteer to perform the execution for certain criminals. Now what kind of beast am I? Hmmm . . .oh, I know . . .I'm a great ape. But then, so are you right along with the Chimpanzees, Gorilla's, Orangutans, and Bonobos, (and humans). Of course that's not what you meant but I thought I'd throw I'd it in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality