Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 03:21 PM

427 posts, read 127,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Love this.
And what to make of those, the family of the victim, who want to watch a man being electrocuted? And what do we do with the people involved who executed an innocent man, which happens a lot.

Those involved in such situations are driven by emotion. They can be excused "for they know not what they do". Rationalism is a different matter. It is the cold and heartlessness of pure reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The 6th commandment did not say you will not kill. It said that you will not murder. The Mosaic law included the death penalty for certain crimes. Even Jesus stated it was a commandment of God that 'He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death.'' - Mark 7:10. A rather severe, and silly, reason to put someone to death, but that was the Mosaic law for you.

I have no problem with the death penalty quite apart from the Bible and would in fact volunteer to perform the execution for certain criminals. Now what kind of beast am I? Hmmm . . .oh, I know . . .I'm a great ape. But then, so are you right along with the Chimpanzees, Gorilla's, Orangutans, and Bonobos, (and humans). Of course that's not what you meant but I thought I'd throw I'd it in anyway.

You are argue well. I feel like Jesus in the desert tempted by the devil.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:37 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
You are argue well. I feel like Jesus in the desert tempted by the devil.
And yet you will still deny that the 6th commandment is a reference to not murdering, not to not 'killing' even though the ten commandments were part of the Mosaic law which contained the death penalty for certain offensives.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
And yet you will still deny that the 6th commandment is a reference to not murdering, not to not 'killing' even though the ten commandments were part of the Mosaic law which contained the death penalty for certain offensives.

You may not have followed my conversations with others relating to my spiritual convictions. I am in the "mind of Christ" and not into Christian fundamentalism.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:38 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
You may not have followed my conversations with others relating to my spiritual convictions. I am in the "mind of Christ" and not into Christian fundamentalism.
Mind of Christ? Jesus - ''He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death.'' - Mark 7:10. According to Jesus that was the command of God.

By the way, I am not a fundamentalist.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:

Ancient Chinese thought is inaccessible in the English language.
What does this mean? So if Ancient Chinese thought is inaccessible in the English language, is it accessible in an English Brain via thought

Old 01-11-2023, 04:48 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I have consistently objected to the death sentence when questioned by defense lawyers and prosecution attorneys in the presence of judges presiding on murder trials. The only discomfort I felt was the presence of the accused who looked guilty as hell to me in every case. Even that did not budge me into breaking the 6th Commandment: Thou shall not kill. It disqualified me from jury duty every time.

Only beasts could bring themselves to vote for the execution of the accused. Rational thinking robs us of our humanity. Of this I have no doubt. My only unresolved inner conflict is eating meat because it involved killing sentient animals. I have gone vegetarian before, and even felt it was a healthy dietary practice. Why I don't go back to it is not a mystery. It's my western culinary culture.
And yet the bible suggests the death penalty.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Love this.
And what to make of those, the family of the victim, who want to watch a man being electrocuted? And what do we do with the people involved who executed an innocent man, which happens a lot.
I will give India, essentially a Hindu nation, credit for having one of the lowest (if not the lowest) rates of capital punishment in the world. Good for Hinduism!

Old 01-11-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Do you think that christian fundamentalists also feel they are in "the mind of christ"?

Old 01-11-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Mind of Christ? Jesus - ''He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death.'' - Mark 7:10. According to Jesus that was the command of God.

By the way, I am not a fundamentalist.

You are still quoting the Bible, Michael.

The "mind of Christ". What is that?

Last edited by myuen2; 01-11-2023 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality