Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2021, 11:53 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes. True.

You don't perfectly describe all I rely upon to arrive at the truth, but I think what you explain as our fundamental differences are correct enough. Still the question remains as to which approaches are best all considered? True? By what measure or criteria do we judge? Not that this is the end-all test, but I do take some comfort knowing that nothing I know or claim to exist is anything others disagree with generally speaking. Comfort that I'm not prosecuting any beliefs that cause division or violence that results from different beliefs about God and/or religion. This can't be said for much in the way of beliefs that are a result of approaches that CB, you and others are inclined to rely upon.
Are you in some kind of popularity contest? Sadly I am not. Do you know the percentage of people who do a PhD, a research scholarship in, and teach Philosophy? As a life's work? Right. Compare that to Business and Data Science. You go where your interest, inclination, and curiosity, and money leads you. Both require quite a bit of intellect but they arise from different motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 12:01 PM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Are you in some kind of popularity contest? Sadly I am not. Do you know the percentage of people who do a PhD, a research scholarship in, and teach Philosophy? As a life's work? Right. Compare that to Business and Data Science. You go where your interest, inclination, and curiosity, and money leads you. Both require quite a bit of intellect but they arise from different motivation.
"Popularity contest?" Hello?

Are you suggesting I've got something against philosophy now too? Whether out of interest or after a life's work? You think I haven't enjoyed many a philosophy class and discussion as well? In many ways the exchange of opinion in this forum is little more than another philosophy discussion, and as such interesting. This sudden out-of-nowhere comparison to business and data science is somehow appropriate here? Not altogether very philosophical let alone very intelligent. Is it?

You would think any amount of serious study of philosophy would help to build some decent argument skills, but all you seem to do with comments like these is make me wonder what's wrong with you.

I enjoy cooking too. Someone else doesn't, so is it somehow rational, mature or intelligent to suggest because someone doesn't enjoy cooking they must be into NASCAR racing instead? What is that? My word. Please!

You're losing me again in any case and again giving me that needed nudge to move along now. Perhaps to something that makes a bit more sense. Dealing with this sort of twisted logic tends to get a little exhausting if a little too much in one sitting.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
"Popularity contest?" Hello?

Are you suggesting I've got something against philosophy now too? Whether out of interest or after a life's work? You think I haven't enjoyed many a philosophy class and discussion as well? In many ways the exchange of opinion in this forum is little more than another philosophy discussion, and as such interesting. This sudden out-of-nowhere comparison to business and data science is somehow appropriate here? Not altogether very philosophical let alone very intelligent. Is it?

You would think any amount of serious study of philosophy would help to build some decent argument skills, but all you seem to do with comments like these is make me wonder what's wrong with you.

I enjoy cooking too. Someone else doesn't, so is it somehow rational, mature or intelligent to suggest because someone doesn't enjoy cooking they must be into NASCAR racing instead? What is that? My word. Please!

You're losing me again in any case and again giving me that needed nudge to move along now. Perhaps to something that makes a bit more sense. Dealing with this sort of twisted logic tends to get a little exhausting if a little too much in one sitting.
Sorry that you feel lost. Time to give up. You are just in a very comfortable zone of confirmation bias and it takes effort to transcend it. The effort gets harder the more you settle in. You have a good day now, bless your heart.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry that you feel lost. Time to give up. You are just in a very comfortable zone of confirmation bias and it takes effort to transcend it. The effort gets harder the more you settle in. You have a good day now, bless your heart.
If you say so, but of course one of the big issues often touched upon in this forum is the simple say so as if simple say so makes it so...

Like all opinions, beliefs and justifications for them, we've all got to judge who is struggling or suffering the most from confirmation bias and who is the more objective comparatively speaking. Also our respective different styles, temperaments, ability to reason and make an argument.

All duly noted far as you (and the rest of us) are concerned. For all of us to judge as we will of course.

All that aside, I find it interesting and a little humorous that I initially made the effort to point out what a problem confirmation bias truly is, and even how to do something about it. Quite awhile ago...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...america-9.html

Took me awhile to explain to people who didn't even know what it was. In the above thread and many others. Also to point out the problem very commonly demonstrated in this forum. Now only to have people like you attempt this childish effort to deflect the problem you demonstrate in spades back on me.

Not that I don't expect the likes, because that's how confirmation bias works. We get emotional and defensive rather than do a real self-assessment of ourselves to truly recognize who is the more or less objective when it comes to matters of controversy such as these. Who is really suffering from the problem of confirmation bias more or less than others?

Old 11-07-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
If you say so, but of course one of the big issues often touched upon in this forum is the simple say so as if simple say so makes it so...

Like all opinions, beliefs and justifications for them, we've all got to judge who is struggling or suffering the most from confirmation bias and who is the more objective comparatively speaking. Also our respective different styles, temperaments, ability to reason and make an argument.

All duly noted far as you (and the rest of us) are concerned. For all of us to judge as we will of course.

All that aside, I find it interesting and a little humorous that I initially made the effort to point out what a problem confirmation bias truly is, and even how to do something about it. Quite awhile ago...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...america-9.html

Took me awhile to explain to people who didn't even know what it was. In the above thread and many others. Also to point out the problem very commonly demonstrated in this forum. Now only to have people like you attempt this childish effort to deflect the problem you demonstrate in spades back on me.

Not that I don't expect the likes, because that's how confirmation bias works. We get emotional and defensive rather than do a real self-assessment of ourselves to truly recognize who is the more or less objective when it comes to matters of controversy such as these. Who is really suffering from the problem of confirmation bias more or less than others?
LearnMe it is truly odd that you think just because you discovered the concept of confirmation bias that you somehow own it. As you seem to think you own Truth because you made 10 commandments on it.
I agree i am turning the tables on you that i am pinning the same problem that besets your arguments that you complain about in others.
When I express my opinions they are based on what I have spent long time studying, consulting different sources, and what seems right to me. TO me. I dont expect anyone here to agree with it, after all your interest may lead you elsewhere, not towards my obsession with esoteric studies, as Mystic often points to. Unlike him I embrace it, not run away from the esoteric.
I post because there are a few here who do share my interests. I post for them, it makes sense to them. Granted, very few, and I like hearing their thoughts. I am not hear to do any say so, that is in your and a few othes’s thoughts. Not mine. There IS no say so. Everything has already been said, more eloquently than I can manage.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
LearnMe it is truly odd that you think just because you discovered the concept of confirmation bias that you somehow own it. As you seem to think you own Truth because you made 10 commandments on it.
I agree i am turning the tables on you that i am pinning the same problem that besets your arguments that you complain about in others.
When I express my opinions they are based on what I have spent long time studying, consulting different sources, and what seems right to me. TO me. I dont expect anyone here to agree with it, after all your interest may lead you elsewhere, not towards my obsession with esoteric studies, as Mystic often points to. Unlike him I embrace it, not run away from the esoteric.
I post because there are a few here who do share my interests. I post for them, it makes sense to them. Granted, very few, and I like hearing their thoughts. I am not hear to do any say so, that is in your and a few othes’s thoughts. Not mine. There IS no say so. Everything has already been said, more eloquently than I can manage.
Again?

Did I say I "own" the concept of confirmation bias? Obviously I'm not the one who came up with the term. I have also started many a thread, posted many a comment, and offered many an article about the subject, not to "own" it, but because it is a problem many people are not too familiar with. Again as you and others well demonstrate in this forum.

You don't really "turn the tables." You simply make claims that are not justified, because you too are in that defensive emotional mode. Relying on simple say so. To be less a victim of confirmation bias is NOT to say one doesn't have strong opinion about these topics. It is for the most part a matter of objectivity. If you want to make an argument about my Ten Truths, by all means do so as I always invite anyone to do, but do so with other than your simple say so and childish ridicule.

If you want to argue there is a "problem that besets" my arguments, what is the problem? Again your simple say so? No specifics? And please don't give me that simple "business and data science" nonsense. Me wanting to win a "popularity contest" is rich as well and so very typical of your arguments (if you can call them arguments). I am not free of confirmation bias. Of course not, but it's clear to me I don't have the problem like you and a good many others. Objectively speaking. I was formally trained to help others with this problem I might add, and paid to do so!

You?

Despite all you say about why you post and for whom, you like to single me out with all this sort of nonsense, and I continue to make light of it. Not because I'm expecting you to agree or ever come to understand me very well, but because nonsense like this you enjoy spreading like manure should not go unchecked.

Obviously you don't see it, but almost all you and Mystic post is simple say so, and this is evident by the extreme lack of supporting information you provide that addresses these thoughts and opinions that you two simply want to chastise because you've got nothing better to offer than your simple -- heavily biased -- say so opinions and beliefs.

"More eloquently than you can manage?"

Thanks for another good chuckle as perhaps it is now best we part company after we've had this chance to clearly express our thoughts about well enough by now. Again for others to judge as they will. Oh, and "bless your heart too."

Old 11-07-2021, 11:59 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The primary divide between you, CB, and I resides in the "different approaches and applications that not all people pursue in equal or proper fashion." The only approach you rely on and credit is the use of science, our sensory system, and its extensions. CB and I along with others use an approach that sidelines our sensory system and accesses other modes of experiencing Reality which, unlike an orgasm, you do not use, try, or have any desire to credit.
Quote:
Yes. True.

You don't perfectly describe all I rely upon to arrive at the truth, but I think what you explain as our fundamental differences are correct enough. Still the question remains as to which approaches are best all considered? True? By what measure or criteria do we judge? Not that this is the end-all test, but I do take some comfort knowing that nothing I know or claim to exist is anything others disagree with generally speaking. Comfort that I'm not prosecuting any beliefs that cause division or violence that results from different beliefs about God and/or religion. This can't be said for much in the way of beliefs that are a result of approaches that CB, you, and others are inclined to rely upon.
The best approach is to use BOTH approaches otherwise one half (or more) of our Reality is sidelined. I use both and the fact that I know some of the science you do not even seem to know exists does NOT make my use of the science mere say so. A little more education on your part would lead you to see it is not merely my say so. My extrapolations from the science are unique, I will give you that, but they are legitimately and solidly derived.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Yes. True.

You don't perfectly describe all I rely upon to arrive at the truth, but I think what you explain as our fundamental differences are correct enough. Still the question remains as to which approaches are best all considered? True? By what measure or criteria do we judge? Not that this is the end-all test, but I do take some comfort knowing 1)that nothing I know or claim to exist is anything others disagree with generally speaking. 2)Comfort that I'm not prosecuting any beliefs that cause division or violence that results from different beliefs about God and/or religion. This can't be said for much in the way of beliefs that are a result of approaches that CB, you and others are inclined to rely upon.
1) by the bolded if you mean scientific evidence, believers dont disagree with it either. So you are in good company. They just see a higher level of existence.

2) My belief does not cause any of that. In fact, as evidenced in another thread in the AA, my beliefs are being wrapped up as secular and are being marketed as mental health tools. This is a strawman but you cannot see it as such because Confirmation Bias.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:08 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
1) by the bolded if you mean scientific evidence, believers dont disagree with it either. So you are in good company. They just see a higher level of existence.

2) My belief does not cause any of that. In fact, as evidenced in another thread in the AA, my beliefs are being wrapped up as secular and are being marketed as mental health tools. This is a strawman but you cannot see it as such because Confirmation Bias.
They think they see a higher level of existence.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The best approach is to use BOTH approaches otherwise one half (or more) of our Reality is sidelined. I use both and the fact that I know some of the science you do not even seem to know exists does NOT make my use of the science mere say so. A little more education on your part would lead you to see it is not merely my say so. My extrapolations from the science are unique, I will give you that, but they are legitimately and solidly derived.
You always underestimate the degree to which others have applied not only BOTH but all else we have to work with and consider to arrive at the conclusions we do. Big difference between what you believe and your arguments as compared to mine is that I don't make claims or promote beliefs that anyone can't pretty readily and easily agree with. What has been "legitimately and solidly derived" is also common knowledge for the most part. Not subject to personal opinion that varies from person to person, like yours.

If what you want to claim as fact were actually "legitimately and solidly derived," you and I would have no difference of opinion about it. Consider that simple fact for a bit if you will...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality