Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 02:55 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
By what measure do you consider the Catholic Church to be a "failed institution"?

Also, specifically how do you view membership in the Catholic Church as being opposed to following God?
Mike, does a Catholic parish have a Vestry or equivalent as Episcopalians do? A board of lay people elected to oversee finances, etc.?

Old 11-04-2021, 03:30 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mike, does a Catholic parish have a Vestry or equivalent as Episcopalians do? A board of lay people elected to oversee finances, etc.?
Yes, most parishes do have a finance committee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 03:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
everyone needs money,how do they keep the place in order,lights on,lawn mowed,?
if you dont like it,then stay home and pray alone,then it would cost you nothing

Old 11-04-2021, 05:45 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,777 times
This is one of the most unseemly aspects of Christianity, not just the Catholic Church. The Orthodox and Catholic Churches, and some Protestant denominations, have vast accumulations of wealth and unseemly financial dealings that are difficult to square with anything Jesus was talking about.

I listen to a fair amount of Christian talk radio, which is almost entirely evangelical Protestantism. It is a constant parade of competing ministries peddling their wares and pleading for donations. It is impossible - for me, anyway - not to be disgusted and think "There is something very, very wrong with this picture."

Way back in 1977, my wife and I had been active members of a Southern Baptist church. Because I took a job 200 miles away, we stopped attending regularly even though we still lived in the same town. We never heard a word from them until I sent a $1000 donation just because I'd come into some unexpected money. A delegation was at our door the next day to let us know they "hadn't forgotten about us." Uh-huh.

I don't have an answer, except that I try not to contribute to any of it. I do my giving directly to people who need it.

Part of the problem is that Christianity is so fragmented that competition is inevitable, but this isn't the sole explanation. Much of ostensible Christianity really is little more than a business - Christianity, Inc., as I call it. And, of course, human nature (greed and lust) infects churches just as it infects secular organizations.

I said in one of my earliest posts here that I think the spectacle of Christianity has little to do with what Jesus was talking about or what he imagined the Gospel message becoming.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:18 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
This is one of the most unseemly aspects of Christianity, not just the Catholic Church. The Orthodox and Catholic Churches, and some Protestant denominations, have vast accumulations of wealth and unseemly financial dealings that are difficult to square with anything Jesus was talking about.

I listen to a fair amount of Christian talk radio, which is almost entirely evangelical Protestantism. It is a constant parade of competing ministries peddling their wares and pleading for donations. It is impossible - for me, anyway - not to be disgusted and think "There is something very, very wrong with this picture."

Way back in 1977, my wife and I had been active members of a Southern Baptist church. Because I took a job 200 miles away, we stopped attending regularly even though we still lived in the same town. We never heard a word from them until I sent a $1000 donation just because I'd come into some unexpected money. A delegation was at our door the next day to let us know they "hadn't forgotten about us." Uh-huh.

I don't have an answer, except that I try not to contribute to any of it. I do my giving directly to people who need it.

Part of the problem is that Christianity is so fragmented that competition is inevitable, but this isn't the sole explanation. Much of ostensible Christianity really is little more than a business - Christianity, Inc., as I call it. And, of course, human nature (greed and lust) infects churches just as it infects secular organizations.

I said in one of my earliest posts here that I think the spectacle of Christianity has little to do with what Jesus was talking about or what he imagined the Gospel message becoming.
Interesting comments.
And Evangelical churches, who supposedly don’t have any hierarchy or leadership, only Christ Himself, still need donations from their members to exist.
I don’t have any problem with that, compared to Catholics, Orthodox and the bigger Church of England denominations.
It’s only when it becomes coercion, and so-called Biblical tithing of one’s salary or wages, that it’s an issue.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:50 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Jesus' way always worked as far as getting together and having "church"; it was always open and free. People got together outside, or in someone's home, and there were never any reasons for building committees and finances.

That was the intention, to keep it simple, community-based, and free, so the focus could always be on what is above and of the spiritual, and not on the grounded, the material, and the worldly. But many church-goers and religionists can't resist playing games of rules and regulations and committees and moneys and hierarchies and building and walls and agendas. Just forget whatever Jesus simply instructed, and complicate matters all to hell.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-04-2021 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-04-2021, 10:05 PM

35 posts, read 11,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a Catholic and go to church every Sunday, so I'm in no way trying put down the Catholic Church. I'm just trying to get an understanding of all this because I feel like all the church keeps doing is asking for money.

Priests like to preach about not being materialistic and all that, but they are constantly asking for money. Every week, we have two collections every Sunday at my church. And on top of that, we may have a third special collection once a month. And then we have an annual appeal from our diocese, of which we are strongly encouraged to give $150 or more. And on top of that, our pastor said that the church is in dire need to roof repairs and the boiler needs to be replaced. That would cost around $2 million, of which he will begin campaigning for in a few months.

I don't understand. I thought church is about praying and deepening our faith with God and not about money. So why does the church always ask for money?

If the church building is not maintained, would having a church service outside in winter be an option?

Old 11-04-2021, 10:16 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I wouldn't mind ivy its for structural repairs or the like but I would draw the line when I start to see that funds are lining pockets and purchases go to fancy, and/or expensive cars

Old 11-05-2021, 12:18 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Is that a joke?
It is not a joke. It is not easy to be a priest actually. You need to be very strong in your faith, study religion, pray several times daily and most of all, live a celibate life. Many men choose to do that because they have a very strong dedication to their faith. A lot of sacrifices must be made to become a priest. As such, it is highly unlikely that a person would enter priesthood with bad intention and misuse funds. So that is why we trust that all priests are good people and we give money with no questions asked.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:21 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It is not a joke. It is not easy to be a priest actually. You need to be very strong in your faith, study religion, pray several times daily and most of all, live a celibate life. Many men choose to do that because they have a very strong dedication to their faith. A lot of sacrifices must be made to become a priest. As such, it is highly unlikely that a person would enter priesthood with bad intention and misuse funds. So that is why we trust that all priests are good people and we give money with no questions asked.
And the sex scandals? You didn't notice that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality