Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,357 times

Advertisements

I am currently developing a video game that features the players as trained members of a religious order. This is a multiplayer game, but with a prewritten story, so there will be many protagonists working through the story seperately. Each player commands a group of characters that travel with them throughout the game. Fairly typical RPG stuff.

My question is this. What real-world equivilant, beyong missionary work and religious crusades, would a religious order have that would explain why it constantly trains and sends out religious groups, as new players will constantly be joining the game and sent out on quests when they start the game? I'm just looking for plausible explainations for why the curch would be so... productive in constantly creating these adepts, and why it would feel the need to have multiple, rather seperate but also possibly competative groups running around the world.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 10:01 AM

299 posts, read 103,946 times
The Mormons spent much effort, resources and capital trying to establish a large and powerful state. Maybe your order has a similar goal.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:05 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odexxo View Post
I am currently developing a video game that features the players as trained members of a religious order. This is a multiplayer game, but with a prewritten story, so there will be many protagonists working through the story seperately. Each player commands a group of characters that travel with them throughout the game. Fairly typical RPG stuff.

My question is this. What real-world equivilant, beyong missionary work and religious crusades, would a religious order have that would explain why it constantly trains and sends out religious groups, as new players will constantly be joining the game and sent out on quests when they start the game? I'm just looking for plausible explainations for why the curch would be so... productive in constantly creating these adepts, and why it would feel the need to have multiple, rather seperate but also possibly competative groups running around the world.

There is always a need for new clergy and church workers.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:05 AM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
1. they are heretics
2. they worship devil
3. they offended our god
4. they are al;lies to those in 1, 2, 3.
5. they threaten to come, conquer us and turn us into their false religion
6. they do human sacrifices, what is against our high moral principles
7. they sacrifice children
8. they use black magic and wizardry
9. their scouts ransack our border states
10. they took over our sacred sites and will murder peaceful pilgrims to them (or, they have our sacred ...... and will not return them to us)

Old 11-06-2021, 11:19 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. they are heretics
2. they worship devil
3. they offended our god
4. they are al;lies to those in 1, 2, 3.
5. they threaten to come, conquer us and turn us into their false religion
6. they do human sacrifices, what is against our high moral principles
7. they sacrifice children
8. they use black magic and wizardry
9. their scouts ransack our border states
10. they took over our sacred sites and will murder peaceful pilgrims to them (or, they have our sacred ...... and will not return them to us)
...you mean the Jesuits?....

Old 11-06-2021, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
The Mormons spent much effort, resources and capital trying to establish a large and powerful state. Maybe your order has a similar goal.
That fits in with the themes of the game rather well, actually. Budding community. I like it.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:05 AM

9,687 posts, read 10,006,521 times
There are two mission which the church where I go, have missions in Africa and India, and both there is no food, and people die very easily, and both these missions have been successful in helping these people

Old 11-24-2021, 08:38 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odexxo View Post
I am currently developing a video game that features the players as trained members of a religious order. This is a multiplayer game, but with a prewritten story, so there will be many protagonists working through the story seperately. Each player commands a group of characters that travel with them throughout the game. Fairly typical RPG stuff.My question is this. What real-world equivilant, beyong missionary work and religious crusades, would a religious order have that would explain why it constantly trains and sends out religious groups, as new players will constantly be joining the game and sent out on quests when they start the game? I'm just looking for plausible explainations for why the curch would be so... productive in constantly creating these adepts, and why it would feel the need to have multiple, rather seperate but also possibly competative groups running around the world.

a desire to help humanity improve their quality of life, individually and collectively.
by providing tools that produce practical positive benefical results.

there would be many groups going to different areas, to reach many people.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:16 AM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Missionaries, huh..
Dear Tzaphkiel, you ever read the history of Conquista? You should.

Out of several "imaginary" truths, there is one, that stands out of them all, as the most true of them all, though, being only poet's imagination:

ROADS IN HELL ARE PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS.

Dante Alighieri

Look outta window and check, on what's going on in the country. It is ALL with good intentions and for the best of the children and saving the planet.

Missionaries... aight....

Old 11-25-2021, 09:18 AM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
i'm not talking about missionaries.
the opening post specifically says OTHER THAN "missionary work and religious crusades."

there are many who walk the planet without revealing themselves, who do great work behind the scenes, helping people, for instance not just working in healing professions, but modeling, demonstrating, living, and through just daily interactions with others offering tools for healing and improved quality of life. how to live peacefully, alternatives to fighting, how to let go of greed and harming others. things like that.

that's what i'm talking about.
they look like regular people and move through the world without anyone knowing who they are are what they are doing other than going through their ordinary life.

those who do the most, say the least.
those who are effecting the greatest change, are the most hidden.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-25-2021 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality