Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2021, 03:04 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The difference is, Shrina (and the rest of us) KNOW her parents are real, can see them, touch them, have pictures of them, can hear them, can talk to them, and they can actually respond in ways anyone can understand.

A god or gods can never be shown to be real, no matter how much an individual thinks or hopes they are. Many people in Ireland, to this day, think Leprechauns are real. Yet, no one has ever seen one. Are Leprechauns real though? Why or why not? Same for any god that can be postulated.
You can be forgiven for overlooking the one God whose existence is built into His description - the panentheist God who is immanent and transcendent with our Reality itself. Besides, it is deemed off-topic outside its dedicated thread.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:06 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
The difference is, Shrina (and the rest of us) KNOW her parents are real, can see them, touch them, have pictures of them, can hear them, can talk to them, and they can actually respond in ways anyone can understand.

A god or gods can never be shown to be real, no matter how much an individual thinks or hopes they are.
That's absurd. God's existence has been unambiguously revealed to all of us. Why some people don't believe in God, I can't explain except to say that they are under strong delusion.

Quote:
Many people in Ireland, to this day, think Leprechauns are real. Yet, no one has ever seen one. Are Leprechauns real though? Why or why not? Same for any god that can be postulated.
You believe that the evidence for God's existence is equal to the evidence for the existence of leprechauns?

I guess it's possible to dismiss the evidence and then claim you have none

Remember what I said about "strong delusion"?

To stay on topic though, we absolutely can experience God through our physical senses.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Presumably Christians" - OK.

Anyway, if I were to attend a yoga class which involved chanting as part of the relaxation exercises, I probably wouldn't chant words I didn't know, because what's the point saying words I don't know over and over again? But I've been to numerous yoga classes of all types over the years and never heard chanting as part of the relaxation exercises, so I haven't had to make that determination or stand.

I can't speak for the "fallen for" aspects because I've never heard the chanting so there was no conversation - from "presumably Christians" or anyone else about falling for anything.
Yeah...many yoga classes are "agnostic", especially if they have non-Hindu/non-Indian instructors. I don't know why those words or syllables would be any different than Latin or French...or nonsense syllables that just sound harmonious. Does "om" count?

Old 11-09-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't know why those words or syllables would be any different than Latin or French...or nonsense syllables that just sound harmonious.
It's because words have meaning and can be very powerful.

Nonsense syllables is different; though nonsense can express a meaning in itself.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:

A god or gods can never be shown to be real, no matter how much an individual thinks or hopes they are. Many people in Ireland, to this day, think Leprechauns are real. Yet, no one has ever seen one. Are Leprechauns real though? Why or why not? Same for any god that can be postulated.
Shirina's parents, like my parents and everyone else's, are imperfect - and that's fine I guess. I mean, we all are. I'm assuming Shirina had parents, and though to be totally honest, I'm not particularly interested in seeing photos of them, let alone touching them or hearing them, I'll take her word for it that they exist.

Here's a pretty interesting article on the differences between God and leprechauns by the way:

http://www.eskimo.com/~msharlow/scra...eprechauns.pdf

There are other articles as well, if you do a search on God and leprechauns. It's an old argument that atheists have been kicking around for awhile now.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yeah...many yoga classes are "agnostic", especially if they have non-Hindu/non-Indian instructors. I don't know why those words or syllables would be any different than Latin or French...or nonsense syllables that just sound harmonious. Does "om" count?
I don't know - I don't personally say "om" when I'm practicing yoga. I say "namaste" but I know what that means.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You can be forgiven for overlooking the one God whose existence is built into His description - the panentheist God who is immanent and transcendent with our Reality itself. Besides, it is deemed off-topic outside its dedicated thread.
Claiming a god or gods are greater than the universe is a non falsifiable proposition, and therefore, can not be stated as being true. So why pray to that god or gods?

"Faith is believin' what you know ain't true" - Mark Twain

Old 11-09-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
That's absurd. God's existence has been unambiguously revealed to all of us. Why some people don't believe in God, I can't explain except to say that they are under strong delusion.

You believe that the evidence for God's existence is equal to the evidence for the existence of leprechauns?

I guess it's possible to dismiss the evidence and then claim you have none

Remember what I said about "strong delusion"?

To stay on topic though, we absolutely can experience God through our physical senses.
What evidence that you have, can be replicated and understood by those that do not see that evidence? Remember, if you point to the bible, it is only the claim, not the proof. I welcome evidence of that you believe is true, but it needs to be evidence that all others can actually test. Not a "revelation".

Old 11-09-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
What evidence that you have, can be replicated and understood by those that do not see that evidence? Remember, if you point to the bible, it is only the claim, not the proof. I welcome evidence of that you believe is true, but it needs to be evidence that all others can actually test. Not a "revelation".
Existence is proof of God, obviously. If you can perceive and discern reality, then God's existence has been proven to you.

The burden lies with you to search out who/what/where God is.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Shirina's parents, like my parents and everyone else's, are imperfect - and that's fine I guess. I mean, we all are. I'm assuming Shirina had parents, and though to be totally honest, I'm not particularly interested in seeing photos of them, let alone touching them or hearing them, I'll take her word for it that they exist.

Here's a pretty interesting article on the differences between God and leprechauns by the way:

http://www.eskimo.com/~msharlow/scra...eprechauns.pdf

There are other articles as well, if you do a search on God and leprechauns. It's an old argument that atheists have been kicking around for awhile now.
If you have read the article, like I did, you will see that it does not claim a god or gods actually exist, but they were used to explain natural phenomena. Which, if you know Irish that believe in Leprechauns, is not any different.

However, faeries are believed more seriously as being what impacts natural phenomena, mostly bad. People still to this day have a real fear of them.

In all cases, it's a belief, and not matter how hard or firm that belief a person has, a god or gods cannot be demonstrated to actually exist. So why pray to them? Just because of belief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality