Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2021, 07:41 PM

10,510 posts, read 6,130,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i don't.

prayers extended for all of humanity (for instance for peace, well being, blessings, safety, etc) include everyone.
basically whatever i pray for myself, i pray for everyone.

that is one of the most powerful prayers there is, to extend prayers for myself to include everyone including yes those who have done me harm.

i remember when i was living in the Southwest in the heart of the Pueblo nations how stunned someone was when they found out that the indigenous do this. prayers for rain, food, blessings not just for their own families, their own people, but for all people all nations. every single prayer.

Well that's nice.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I believe that those who do not pray are missing out on the Comfort and Counsel of God's Holy Spirit of agape love that Jesus died to make available to us. Of course, if you do not believe any of that, you would hardly be receptive to it anyway. If I hadn't encountered it, I certainly would not believe it existed.
Fair enough.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:22 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Doesn't wisdom and grace and strength come from yourself though?

I mean, if you didn't pray, wouldn't you have exactly the same wisdom and grace and strength?

I haven't attempted to pray for well over 40 years. It just wouldn't occur to me.
I'm an atheist of course, so of course I wouldn't pray.

But then they say you shouldn't ask god for anything.
If there's one person that's definitely not asking god for anything around here, it's me LOL. So if praying is not asking for anything, I get a gold star.

I don't have anything against praying. It's kind of like wishing people well I suppose. No harm in that.

I'm curious though, for those of you who do pray, what do you think about those of us that don't?
For starters, your relationship or lack of one with God doesn't cross my mind, honestly. I hate to tell you that but I just don't think about it unless you bring it up, and then...I don't consider it my business. Now - if you ASK me about my life or my beliefs, I will share them with you, but what you do with that information is your business unless you actually hurt me with it, which is unlikely. Basically the way I witness to anyone is this - I live my life and I will fearlessly answer any question anyone directs at me - and I will even volunteer information in some circumstances, but not generally. In other words, I won't come knocking at your door or beating you over the head with information.

Now to answer your first question - yes, I have a certain amount of wisdom and grace and strength but I believe God has a lot more than I do. So I ask Him for additional wisdom/grace/strength, which I believe He gives me.

I'm curious though, for those of you who do not pray, what do you think about those of us who do?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-13-2021 at 06:30 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 07:43 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,941,952 times
For me praying is an act to stabilize my inner self, dig deep and find the courage, strength, and patience to get through trying time, sadness, and helplessness. I pray for all that, and that act seems to guide me to the very direction I need to go. It brings peace and reconciliation to the fact of life that not everything is in my control and to let it go.
If I think of anyone it is those near and dear to me, whose sadness I feel, and feel it with them, and I pray for courage for them as well. I feel as though I connect with them, we are one, and we will both get through this together.
I don’t always pray. I meditate and I think of nothing.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
For starters, your relationship or lack of one with God doesn't cross my mind, honestly. I hate to tell you that but I just don't think about it unless you bring it up, and then...I don't consider it my business. Now - if you ASK me about my life or my beliefs, I will share them with you, but what you do with that information is your business unless you actually hurt me with it, which is unlikely. Basically the way I witness to anyone is this - I live my life and I will fearlessly answer any question anyone directs at me - and I will even volunteer information in some circumstances, but not generally. In other words, I won't come knocking at your door or beating you over the head with information.

Now to answer your first question - yes, I have a certain amount of wisdom and grace and strength but I believe God has a lot more than I do. So I ask Him for additional wisdom/grace/strength, which I believe He gives me.

I'm curious though, for those of you who do not pray, what do you think about those of us who do?
Why so snarky?

"I hate to tell you but I just don't think about it unless you bring it up.." and so on.

Right, I didn't think you did think about it. That's why I brought it up - as food for thought. If you hate to tell me, then don't tell me, just scroll past - there are no obligations here, we're just having a conversation.
I thought this thread was about praying so thought I'd ask something from a different angle.

I'm also not here to upset anyone but you did ask this so I will answer your question.
You will probably already guess that since I'm an atheist, I think everyone is praying into the air and talking to themselves.
Not that I don't think that it's a valuable thing for those who do it. There's probably a certain placebo effect going on in that if you ask for strength, you'll probably get strength, - from yourself, because you believe it.
That you believe it came from god is fine with me. Whatever gets you through is the important part.
Also as I said before, I think it's no bad thing when you pray for others. It's like wishing them well in a sense and there's nothing wrong with that.
I'm grateful when people say they pray for me because I know it's coming from a good place.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:27 AM

I have been taught, and taught well, in THIS forum, that questions atheists ask theists are always loaded. There are no innocent questions with only intention to know, because the answers are already in the question. That is where the snark begins.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have been taught, and taught well, in THIS forum, that questions atheists ask theists are always loaded. There are no innocent questions with only intention to know, because the answers are already in the question. That is where the snark begins.
Can you do me a favor and put me on ignore?

I'm really tired of your negative insinuations about me.

And yes this post was directed at me. Don't pretend it wasn't.

I sit on my hands everytime you post and haven't responded to any of your posts for a good long while because of your constant sniping and negativity.

I told you a few months ago I was done talking to you.
Since then I haven't mentioned you or talked about you. I am asking you the courtesy to do the same for me.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:56 AM

50,467 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:

And yes this post was directed at me. Don't pretend it wasn't.

I sit on my hands everytime you post and haven't responded to any of your posts for a good long while because of your constant sniping and negativity.

Since then I haven't mentioned you or talked about you. I am asking you the courtesy to do the same for me.
Good luck with that suggestion!

Old 11-13-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:

And yes this post was directed at me.

If the shoe fits welcome to it. We both know you assume many things. As another poster likes to point out, you know what happens when you assume.
I choose who I put on ignore. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Old 11-13-2021, 09:08 AM

16,632 posts, read 4,916,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Your constant need to lie about atheists is not spiritual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.