Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 10:42 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And far too many are too judgmental and way too intolerant of intelligent criticism that somehow seems too effortful to digest and comprehend.
Oddly enough, we've often not seen eye to eye on religious matters - though we can agree on certain esoteric avenues like the collective consciousness.

There was a time when posting here was a riot and I enjoyed it. I even enjoyed the fact that people in those days read what I wrote and would often try to dispute me line by line by line.

Back then there was a sense of community and comaraderie between the posters here - even between those of us on different sides of an opinion.

But it's not like that anymore.

For as rough and tumble things could get back then, the people who post here NOW are the meanest, nastiest people I've had the displeasure of talking to. Mainly because of their flagrant hypocrisy on how they try SO hard to be mean in a ... nice sort of way. And to me that's being both dishonest AND mean.

Anyway, it was nice knowing you Mystic. Perhaps if you ever become a mod, you can delete all of my more recent posts. I have very little time left. If this is the kind of treatment I can expect to receive for not conforming to some unwritten rulebook on how to post - or I'm just too much work ...

To tell you the honest truth - I have no more desire to be in this world.

Take care, Mystic.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:44 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm deleting every post that I can delete. In fact, I'd like for someone to delete my entire account.

Apparenly only a few read them anyway.

So why should I bother? I'm on borrowed time anyway.

I figure I have other things to do than be here and be insulted and ignored because I don't tip-toe around religion.

I do not insult people, only ideas. I wish I could say the same for others.

Anyway ... I'm pretty much done. And I mean really done. With ... everything.

So if a mod or admin could please delete my account, I'd appreciate it. I plan to leave as little trace of myself in this world as I possibly can. Thanks.
Shirina, I'm sorry that you're in so much pain from your neurological disorder. You sound so dejected. Please don't do anything rash.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:46 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Things have gotten all too personal around here of late.

In a forum about spirituality, people REALLY need to take stock and think about what they say to and about other people.

People behind the typewriter and screen are real people with real lives and and real feelings.

Let's all be nicer to one another huh?

Old 11-14-2021, 10:48 PM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:
I'm deleting every post that I can delete. In fact, I'd like for someone to delete my entire account.

I figure I have other things to do than be here and be insulted and ignored because I don't tip-toe around religion.

So if a mod or admin could please delete my account, I'd appreciate it. I plan to leave as little trace of myself in this world as I possibly can. Thanks.
Please get through this. I wish I could help you feel better. I feel weak and don't know how to help.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:50 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Shirina, I'm sorry that you're in so much pain from your neurological disorder. You sound so dejected. Please don't do anything rash.
You're right ... I can't delete any of my posts that I wrote since I came back a few days ago. I was hoping I could at least edit them and just write "deleted" in place of the post. But no.

I JUST WANT THEM GONE, DAMMIT!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Dear Shirina,

Here's why you should bother. There are lots of people that appreciate you. You have a talent and intelligence that is precious and rare and should not be wasted.
Please continue what you are doing, if not here, then somewhere you will he appreciated. There's a place on this planet for everyone - you maybe just haven't found your niche yet and I know it's there for you.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:09 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
And this is the second reason why I left this forum.

I got tired of someone leaning on the "report" button.

I happened to be friends with one of the mods at the time and he/she showed me the reports people were making about me. They were literally trying to get my posts deleted or heavily edited for using invidual words that didn't pertain directly to religion - indivudal words taken so far out of context that my post may as well have consisted of that one word alone.

It reached a point where I really couldn't post anymore.

So this isn't a new problem. Reporting a post should only be used if someone is advocating racism, threatening other posters with violence, using excessive profanity, being overly vulgar or sexual, and similar things like that.

But SOME people think the report button should be used whenever someone has an opinion they don't agree with. They use the button to silence and censor people they happen not to like - or as a means of getting around having to answer difficult questions.

As someone who was victimized by this reporting frenzy herself - it probably does have to do with the way he posts. BUT ... that doesn't mean the person doing the reporting is justified, much less being at all fair.
The forum does have rules, where are there for all to see.

But I do agree that the report button shouldn't be used just because someone disagrees with a POV.

The ignore button I use in an imaginary one in my head. There are posters I just choose to skip over most of the time.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:14 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Oddly enough, we've often not seen eye to eye on religious matters - though we can agree on certain esoteric avenues like the collective consciousness.

There was a time when posting here was a riot and I enjoyed it. I even enjoyed the fact that people in those days read what I wrote and would often try to dispute me line by line by line.

Back then there was a sense of community and comaraderie between the posters here - even between those of us on different sides of an opinion.

But it's not like that anymore.

For as rough and tumble things could get back then, the people who post here NOW are the meanest, nastiest people I've had the displeasure of talking to. Mainly because of their flagrant hypocrisy on how they try SO hard to be mean in a ... nice sort of way. And to me that's being both dishonest AND mean.

Anyway, it was nice knowing you Mystic. Perhaps if you ever become a mod, you can delete all of my more recent posts. I have very little time left. If this is the kind of treatment I can expect to receive for not conforming to some unwritten rulebook on how to post - or I'm just too much work ...

To tell you the honest truth - I have no more desire to be in this world.

Take care, Mystic.
You have something to offer. I don't think you should delete your account. You may come back to it. If it's best for you, just take a vacation from the forum.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:24 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
You pray to give credence to a corrupt church which then gets you to pay their property taxes. You pray so you won't use your head and wonder why so many wars have been fought over religion. You pray because politicians tell you too You pray so you can tell yourself you're a good person while not taking a stand against pedophile priests.. You pray because you're a sheep and that's what sheep do.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I said it's fine to apply to ourselves - other people who are hurting don't generally want to hear us pontificate about it though. At least it hasn't been well received when I've heard people say it. See above example of the woman at the funeral who told a GRIEVING MOTHER WHO HAD LOST A CHILD IN A HOUSE FIRE that she shouldn't feel so bad - she knew someone who had lost FOUR children in a house fire!

Yep, things can always be worse I guess but I don't generally point that out to someone who is grieving or hurting. I commiserate with them. It could be me next time - in fact, it HAS been me.

You know - I just thought losing my husband and my job and my life as a woman married to a vibrant, funny, intelligent, good looking man was bad enough. But no, things can get worse -ask me how I know! Of course things can get worse, and sometimes they DO get worse. And still - I could have been even worse off, though I think I was bad enough off as it was and then some. But I didn't want to hear from other people about how it could be worse. Of course it could be worse. I mean, I could have had no insurance. I could have had to go back to work after a few days and then after I broke my dominant arm I could have had to take unpaid leave. I could have had complications from the surgery. All sorts of terrible things could have happened to me but didn't. Still...things were bad enough as it was. I was able to be thankful they weren't worse on my own, without someone telling me that (especially from a comfort zone). I mean, they were bad enough, and then they got a lot worse. And things still aren't comfortable for me and maybe they never will be again, who knows? But hey, they could be worse!

I actually know this and that's why I am thankful every single day of my life for what I have, and even for what I've been through. But it still doesn't make it easy to go through.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband and everything else you've been through Kathryn.

I thought I would just relate a pretty tough time we went through as a family, which I have shared before but not from this angle.

My son had leukemia at 18 months old. From there on we spent basically 3 and a half years in and out of hospital. I had a newborn as well, 6 days old when he was diagnosed. It was a nightmare time.

In the beginning I was full of the 'why my son, why us' question.
That was until we spent so much time on pediatric oncology wards. One day there was a kid in the playroom in the hospital laughing and playing but dragging an IV drip around at all times. I asked what he was being treated for. This kid had a rare form of leukemia that was treatable but not curable. He would always have to live with chemo for the rest of his life.
Then another kid that had a rare form of solid cancer that lived in her veins. Then another kid that had a tumor removed from his brain and whose head was encased in a cage. We saw and heard it all. It became clear that no matter how bad you thought it was, there was always someone in worse shape.
Then I had friends that would have a bad day at work and I'd see them and they'd complain about their day. Then they'd stop and feel guilty about complaining because my son had just had his weekly dose of chemo.
But I'd laugh and tell them they had every right to complain about having a bad day. Because early on I learned that everything has it's own perspective. My son having cancer doesn't mean that your day wasn't crappy and you have every right to feel crappy about it.

I'm also grateful for every day. Going through these tough times changes your entire perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality