Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 10:56 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
The possibility of being murdered?
I presume you mean "executed". "Murder" implies that the killing was done extra-judiciously.

For what crime would you face the possibility of execution? Are you even a Catholic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 10:57 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Galileo was a practicing Catholic, and not a "non-believer".
You're missing the point.

I guess what you're saying is that catholics don't have the right to be independent thinkers.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:59 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I cannot conceive how anyone would get to such a position of complete submission to the authority of flawed and fallible self-appointed human representatives of God. It is unfathomable.
Something we agree on.

I remember very well a priest who told us during a mass that he would stop giving communion to anyone who voted for Nelson Rockefeller for governor (due Rocky's stance on the unmentionable).

And all I could think of was who the heck (not what I wanted to say) does he think he is.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're missing the point.

I guess what you're saying is that catholics don't have the right to be independent thinkers.
On certain matters, yes that's true.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:00 AM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Well of course that's your perspective, because you have no supernatural faith.

Your faith is first and foremost in science, so everything else must be put aside for it and bow the knee to it.

Of course, that's not how I view the world, ontologically speaking.
What does the Catholic Church believe today about Galileo and his theory?

Old 11-18-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What does the Catholic Church believe today about Galileo and his theory?
I'm not sure the Church has an official stance. I don't know that it can, as astronomical controversies would generally be considered outside the Church's competency.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:10 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Oh, did that strike a nerve with you? No one claimed it did. We're not talking about you, we're talking about Galileo who actually was a practicing Catholic.
The Roman Catholic church presumes too much to claim it has authority over those who are Catholic and that their souls are in danger if they don't accept that claim of authority.

Quote:
If you are unsure of this, I would advise you to consult an astronomer.
Don't be dense. I'm asking you if YOU believe the earth orbits the sun or not. The Roman Catholic church stubbornly resisted the fact that Galileo was right until it had no choice to finally concede the fact.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:14 AM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
I'm not sure the Church has an official stance. I don't know that it can, as astronomical controversies would generally be considered outside the Church's competency.
Quote:
Last week, 359 years later, the Church finally agreed. At a ceremony in Rome, before the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, Pope John Paul II officially declared that Galileo was right. The formal rehabilitation was based on the findings of a committee of the Academy the Pope set up in 1979, soon after taking office. The committee decided the Inquisition had acted in good faith, but was wrong.
November 1992

https://www.newscientist.com/article...leo-was-right/

It admitted it was wrong. How do you feel about that, personally?

Old 11-18-2021, 11:16 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
What controversy? Where is the controversy today concerning the fact that the earth orbits the sun?

Old 11-18-2021, 11:25 AM

1,799 posts, read 562,701 times
Quote:

If you are unsure of this, I would advise you to consult an astronomer.

What is your reason for continuing to avoid giving a direct answer to what you think about the Sun and Earth and which revolves around which? Have you reached a point that you truly cannot give an honest answer to an honest question because it might disprove your claims here?

Seriously, it does not reflect well on the RCC that a Catholic in the 21 century cannot admit that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality