Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 01:12 PM

33,239 posts, read 26,455,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Presumably you are implying that Catholics are "required to believe in what isn't true"? Of course, I don't see it that way.
Didn't you say on some other thread that once you converted to Catholicism you were required to believe what it teaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 01:13 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Didn't you say on some other thread that once you converted to Catholicism you were required to believe what it teaches?
Yes.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:22 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,701 times
Quote:
I guess we would have to come to a better understanding of what is meant by "independent thinking".

For starters, I would not call it "independent thinking" to mindlessly assent to whatever one is taught in 6th grade science class.
Who said anything about mindlessly assenting ? Every subject taught in school is available for exploration as deep as any student wishes to go.

I was merely pointing out your issue with elementary school science

Old 11-18-2021, 01:31 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Who said anything about mindlessly assenting ? Every subject taught in school is available for exploration as deep as any student wishes to go.

You did, if you are implying that whatever is taught in elementary school science is a dogma that may not be questioned.

If whatever is taught in elementary school science is fair game for being questioned, then why do you bring it up as though it were somehow dogmatic?

Old 11-18-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Even if what it teaches is wrong?

Old 11-18-2021, 01:39 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
We have sufficient evidence that Mike believes he must mindlessly assent to whatever dogma is issued by the Catholic Church under threat of his immortal soul. There hardly seems any point to further exploring why he seems willing to do so. The Catholic church is his representative of God on earth, period.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Yes.
So you're saying that you don't know whether or not the earth revolves around the sun and you won't accept the scientific evidence that it does?

By the way, the Copernican model which you mentioned in post 160 is not the view of modern science. While that model was correct that the earth revolves around the sun it was incorrect about other things such as the idea that the sun and stars don't move. Everything in the universe is in motion.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:08 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,701 times
Quote:
You did, if you are implying that whatever is taught in elementary school science is a dogma that may not be questioned.

If whatever is taught in elementary school science is fair game for being questioned, then why do you bring it up as though it were somehow dogmatic?
You will need to provide a quote of my post saying that . Please do so. What I said was that you seemed to have trouble assenting to basic science concepts that a 6th grader understands .

If you are choosing to question the veracity of the scientific model of the solar system , then please do so , and point out where it fails . But I never said anything about mindlessly assenting to science . You are moving into the area of making stuff up to defend your failing line of discussion.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:19 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
I guess we would have to come to a better understanding of what is meant by "independent thinking".

For starters, I would not call it "independent thinking" to mindlessly assent to whatever one is taught in 6th grade science class.
Science is constantly being refined, sometimes superceded as better and more accurate technology is built.
We've come a LONG way in the last 30 years, even in the last decade.
There have been a lot advancements since I was in 6th grade. I've learned the vast majority of what I know about science long since leaving school. To tell you the truth, I've been in America for 10 years and it's been a great disappointment to me how little access Americans seem to have to groundbreaking and up to date science. It's not something that seems to be celebrated here. This was a big surprise to me given the space race in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
I wonder how many people even know for example that the US started building a bigger and better particle accelerator that would have discovered the Higgs field in advance of the LRC, but the entire project got shut down?
I don't think you have much to worry about Mike.
Fortunately though, there ARE a lot of great minds out there that continue to advance our understanding, regadless.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:19 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

Not only that, but that was elementary school science when I was in school back in the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality