Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 07:16 AM

2,767 posts, read 2,667,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
....God does not have hands,...
They made not a just estimate of Allah such as is due to Him.
And on the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be grasped by His Hand
and the heavens will be rolled up in His Right Hand
Glorified be He, and High be He above all that they associate as partners with Him! The Holy Quran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 10:00 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Does this mean that all are god? And if so, anything that is an attribute of what exists is by definition also an attribute of god?
Yes. I would just replace the word God with Brhman. All is Brhman. All that exists also possess the same attributes of Brhman in equal measure.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:41 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Sure, gut how do you handle the cookies when many say ALL is god, the entire universe including the cookies? Or do you believe something different?
i agree with Kathryn. everything that exists is continent on God.
but God is not contingent on anything existing.

God exists whether anything else does. it is not the sum of everything. it is the Source of everything.
big difference

when all the universes and multiverses and everything in them cease to exist, the Source from which they came still exists.

i can bake lots of cookies. but when the cookies are gone, i still exist. just like i existed before any cookies were baked. cookies are contingent on me. but i am not contingent on cookies. that's the difference.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

God exists whether anything else does. it is not the sum of everything. it is the Source of everything.
big difference

when all the universes and multiverses and everything in them cease to exist, the Source from which they came still exists.

i can bake lots of cookies. but when the cookies are gone, i still exist. just like i existed before any cookies were baked. cookies are contingent on me. but i am not contingent on cookies. that's the difference.
I can't rep you again so soon, but I can go for this!

Old 11-14-2021, 06:02 PM

895 posts, read 475,373 times
Quote:

big difference

So in your view, unlike many other religious posters here, The universe and God are not synonymous?

Old 11-15-2021, 07:11 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
So in your view, unlike many other religious posters here, The universe and God are not synonymous?
The universe is a creation of God. God is distinct from His creation.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:32 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
a universe has a beginning and has an end. every universe does.
anything that has a beginning has an end.

The Source of the universe does not have a beginning and does not have an end.
always was always will be. that is not an attribute of the universe.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:33 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

always was and always will be. that is not an attribute of the universe.
I'll the same question I ask you countless times that you almost always never answer: How do you know that?

Old 11-15-2021, 07:43 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Well, according to many of the Near Death Experience reports, God is a giant ball of loving light.

I've never been into theism, but there have been so many reports at this point, by people who went to "the other side" and back, and lived to tell the tale, all (of those who got through "the tunnel"--not everyone did) describing a Light with extraordinary qualities, that .... well, let's just say they've got my attention. I'm re-thinking my non-theistic position.

And no, in case anyone's wondering, I don't need a Book to help me rethink my position.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-15-2021 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-15-2021, 07:46 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:

always was always will be. that is not an attribute of the universe.
I don't think that's what the cosmologists say. I think the current research points to a universe that's serially and infinitely expanding and contracting. IOW, before the Big Bang, there were cycles of expansion and contraction, and there will be others, eons after our time.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-15-2021 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality