Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 03:31 PM

13,683 posts, read 7,996,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The Catholic church was wrong about the earth being the center of the solar system and now admits that it was wrong. So where does that leave your claim that it's not possible for the Catholic church to be wrong?
1) Has the Catholic Church ever taught dogmatically, de fide, that the earth is the center of the solar system?

2) With our current capabilities, is it even possible to prove that the earth is not the center of the solar system?

If the answer to either of these questions is "no" (and to my understanding it is), then my claim stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
You are trying to change the discussion out of the context. Let’s recap. You said you had to give up some independent thinking . I said it is sad that you have to give up part of your thinking process . You asked me what part . I replied that was for you to answer since you are the one admitting to having to give up part of your independent thinking,
Okay, thank you.

Where you used the term "thinking process" is where I got thrown off.

While I am not permitted to think "independently" outside of what I believe are certain divinely-revealed presumptions, I don't see that as any part of my "thinking process" being given up.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:39 PM

1,799 posts, read 564,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
1) Has the Catholic Church ever taught dogmatically, de fide, that the earth is the center of the solar system?

2) With our current abilities, is it even possible to prove that the earth is not the center of the solar system?

If the answer to either of these questions is "no" (and to my understanding it is), then my claim stands.
Oh, the ways one must twist their minds to be religious . Sad really, that one cannot admit to what the church even admits , that they were wrong on Galileo .

And yes, we can see that the Earth is not the center of the solar system . That you would even question this boggles the mind . I have to ask, did you doubt the solar system model before becoming a Catholic, or have you had to willingly regress in knowledge since becoming one ?

It was a Catholic who solidified the Big Bang theory , BTW. You can bet he had no issues accepting the current model . And I doubt science profs at Notre Dame have any issues with it .

Old 11-18-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:

While I am not permitted to think "independently" outside of what I believe are certain divinely-revealed presumptions, I don't see that as any part of my "thinking process" being given up.
And yet here we are debating the conclusions of 6th grade science with an adult who presumably has at least a high school education .

Old 11-18-2021, 03:43 PM

10,537 posts, read 6,181,429 times
Quote:
So can it be questioned or not? Because you used the word "incontrovertible", implying that it's an exception to the rule that "you can question anything in science".

If we're 99.99999999999999999% certain that the earth is not the center of our solar system, that's still not 100%.
You're arguing about nothing now.
Yes some things are exceptions.
The sun is the center of our solar system. It's self evident. There's no way it can not have that configuration.
When you look further out and study the milky way, we are all revolving around a supermassive black hole. But our solar systems planets are still orbiting our sun.

This kind of discussion is pretty pointless honestly.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:46 PM

50,943 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
You did, if you are implying that whatever is taught in elementary school science is a dogma that may not be questioned.

If whatever is taught in elementary school science is fair game for being questioned, then why do you bring it up as though it were somehow dogmatic?
So you are questioning Galileo's findings?

Old 11-18-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you are questioning Galileo's findings?
No. I'm asking if they can be questioned.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So why is this discussion over the catholic church’s inquisition? Isn’t it a closed issue? It has admitted it was wrong, made a bad mistake. End pf story. Its members still see value in its teaching.
What is the point in opening up a closed story? I am reading an athiest-mystical masturbation..
You can continue to be as obsessed with masturbation as you wish , but we are debating it because a Catholic questioned whether Galileo was mistreated. Simple as that . If that bothers you, the last time I checked no one was required to read any thread they didn’t wish to .

Old 11-18-2021, 03:52 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
I have neither the competency nor the desire to personally challenge the veracity of any particular model of the solar system.

Here's what I was getting at...

Whatever they teach a 6th grader about the solar system (or any subject for that matter); is it a dogma that cannot be challenged or questioned? You seem to have taken offense that anything taught in 6th grade science might be questioned.
In some grade school science classes, they teach things like magnetism, and the kids learn by applying magnets to things. One friend of mine said, she learned about levers and pulleys. Maybe in some schools, they learn some basic astronomy.

I'm not understanding your proposition, that that kind of thing could be dogma that should be challenged or questioned. The hands-on part of science classes, which in some cases involves lab work, IS the testing of the hypothesis. Science isn't something you memorize; science is a practice. You learn how to DO science, not just sit back and absorb whatever the teacher says. You're constantly testing the principles being taught. Science is a method of investigation and learning.

Therefore, it can't be dogma. Kids learn about gravity through observation, not through memorizing a book. They learn about magnets by watching magnets attract or repel things.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
No. I'm asking if they can be questioned.
They can, they have been , and all efforts to question them have shown them to be true. That’s why the Catholic Church admitted it was wrong . The evidence is too overwhelming for even them to question .

You may also questioned whether 2+2=4 if you have doubts about it . No one insists you accept any scientific findings if you can disprove them .

BTW, the fact that you ask this question shows that either you have little understanding of how science works and operate from some weird religious framework on how science goes about it’s business, or you simply can’t stand to admit you are wrong or misspoke and keep up this little game instead . Not sure which, but neither is admirable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality