Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 10:48 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
All your "evidence" is not evidence at all. It ALL--I mean All as in EVERYTHING comes straight from the gospels. You haven't got a nickel's worth of evidence from any source outside the gospels for this alleged resurrection. Modern secular historians don't recognize the resurrection as a historical fact. And there is still this:

The gospels were NOT written by any eyewitnesses to the events. They were written by Greek scholars living in Greece who weren't familiar with Israel and they were writing these accounts 50-100 years after the facts. They were getting their information from myths and legends and stories floating around the Mediterranean for a half century.

This is not evidence, Derek. And you still haven't given me one eyewitness outside the gospels who can testify to the resurrection. Truth is you can NEVER give us one because there isn't any.

Truth also is, if God and Jesus wanted us to believe in the resurrection they would have left us evidence of it so irrefutable that no skeptic in their right mind could deny the resurrection happened.
Ah! An effort to actually use facts, reason and logic to establish the truth of this matter!

Let's see how far that gets you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is where we differ, Bungalove. The experiences were so life-changing precisely because I experienced connection with 100% of Reality. There was nothing separate.
Understood, but of course you can probably appreciate how we all must consider and judge such claims when also of course you also realize there are countless such claims of experiences like yours. Like yours and/or different than yours that millions of other people claim is their experience with God, while the rest of us, even you, really has to wonder. Hard not to wonder when the nature of these experiences vary so widely depending on the person making such claims. From the man shouting on the street corner, to Joseph Smith, to Jim Jones and on and on.

Who to believe and why?

You tell us...

Old 11-24-2021, 11:41 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ah! An effort to actually use facts, reason and logic to establish the truth of this matter!

Let's see how far that gets you...

You mean believers don't like facts?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-24-2021 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-24-2021, 11:41 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Understood, but of course you can probably appreciate how we all must consider and judge such claims when also of course you also realize there are countless such claims of experiences like yours. Like yours and/or different than yours that millions of other people claim is their experience with God, while the rest of us, even you, really has to wonder. Hard not to wonder when the nature of these experiences vary so widely depending on the person making such claims. From the man shouting on the street corner, to Joseph Smith, to Jim Jones and on and on.

Who to believe and why?

You tell us...
You have little recourse but to rely on your own sense and reason based on what resonates with you. Subjectivity about such matters is unavoidable since it is currently out of the purview of science.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You mean believers don't like facts?
You mean you don't know about the problem of confirmation bias?

Don't know my Cement Theory?

Old 11-24-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You have little recourse but to rely on your own sense and reason based on what resonates with you. Subjectivity about such matters is unavoidable since it is currently out of the purview of science.
Is this something you don't think I know?

I've yet to meet a person who does not ultimately rely on their own sense, reason and what ultimately resonates best for them. All a matter of subjectivity as a general rule, but all that said I think there is still what amounts to better reason and logic based on the facts and truth of these matters. Certainly as compared to what others seem to promote instead.

This too like pretty much everything else posted in this forum, including your comments of course, all boil down to subjectivity. Different perspectives and ways of thinking that we should all know by now will not change as a result of what anyone comments one way or another in this forum.

Which reminds me! It's time for me to get on with more productive use of my time now. Thanks again!

Old 11-24-2021, 01:05 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Is this something you don't think I know?

I've yet to meet a person who does not ultimately rely on their own sense, reason and what ultimately resonates best for them. All a matter of subjectivity as a general rule, but all that said I think there is still what amounts to better reason and logic based on the facts and truth of these matters. Certainly as compared to what others seem to promote instead.

This too like pretty much everything else posted in this forum, including your comments of course, all boil down to subjectivity. Different perspectives and ways of thinking that we should all know by now will not change as a result of what anyone comments one way or another in this forum.

Which reminds me! It's time for me to get on with more productive use of my time now. Thanks again!
Why would you presume I think you did not know this when your posts literally drip with such notions? What I seek to do is reduce your certainty about what is fact and the truth of the matter. Despite your confidence, there are few such facts and truth that are devoid of subjective human interpretation, bias, and presumption based ultimately on the perceived state of Reality (which is ultimately unknown).

Old 11-24-2021, 02:32 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
You mean you don't know about the problem of confirmation bias?

Don't know my Cement Theory?

No, fraid not. Sock it to me.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:58 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
That is where we differ, Bungalove. The experiences were so life-changing precisely because I experienced connection with 100% of Reality. There was nothing separate.
Ah, 100% of your Reality, but you can't say definitely everyone's. You can postulate, but that's all. However, I'm quite sure you will claim it was so anyway.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:07 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Good catch. I kind of slipped there and for some reason was thinking prophets...

If I may ask this question instead anyway. Do you recognize the other prophets not mentioned in the Book of Mormon?
Short answer... yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality