Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 08:48 AM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times

Advertisements

For me it wouldn’t change anything at all.

For others it will . I once had a pastor who insisted that it was impossible for there to be other life elsewhere, because if there were other intelligent life they would need some sort of Christ for themselves, and the Bible says there is only one Christ . Ergo, in his view life beyond Earth is impossible . So some folks would undergo a major theological overhaul if aliens visit us.

I touched on this subject in a thread in the paranormal section , but I’ll do so here . Any alien life able to get here will likely be so far advanced above us as to be gods to us . As far advanced past us as we are past earthworms. They would have had to solve the problem of faster than light speed , which our current physics tell us is impossible . If some alien race has conquered this problem they are not just a few generations ahead of us, they are of a whole different order technology and scientifically wise . We would be less than dogs to them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 08:50 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
….I.E. aliens etc; are real. Where does this leave the structure of most major religions, most specifically Christianity? I am not attempting to challenge religion here. I believe in the existence of God. I do however can’t help myself but question the ideology behind most major religions as the origin of life.

I have since my childhood felt that we were likely put here by a more advanced life form. And maybe that was God. HOWEVER, if you look at what we are doing today scientifically in the compound effect science has on its self with advancements, there is no doubt that we as humans will be able to create life at some point down the road. Maybe we could travel to another planet and set up life there. Maybe that’s how we all got here?

Regardless I study UFO’s the latest news surrounding this topic and I have ZERO doubt that we are being visited, have been visited for some time. Visitors seem to take the highest level of interest in our nuclear capabilities and abilities to destroy ourselves. Often seemingly issuing warnings. More and more credible sources almost daily now coming out and hinting at this. To the point it’s now like, “just come on and tell us already.”

Where will this leave your thoughts on Christianity etc? Will it change anything in your beliefs?

The lack of any physical or historical proof for jesus or the apostles was all the proof I needed to say it's all mythological. I walked away from christianity and never looked back. But I did pin my hopes that maybe NDE's had some credibility of some proof of an afterlife. But the dubious nature of them (such diversity in experiences) coupled with no scientific evidence added to the fact that only about 5% of those who clinically die say they have some form of OBE while the vast majority who clinically die and are revived say it was nothing, just blackness and no awareness of anything make me disbelieve them now. I'm a razor thin margin away from pure atheism.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:00 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
God made everything. that includes all life on all planets and all universes.
it doesn't change a thing

of course there is life elsewhere.
I think NASA has a better take on it: "Ask most any American whether life exists on other planets and moons, and the answer you’ll get is a confident “yes!” Going back decades (and in many ways generations), we’ve been introduced to a menagerie of extraterrestrials good and bad. Their presence suffuses our entertainment and culture, and we humans seem to have an almost innate belief-or is it a hope-that we are not alone in the universe. But that extraterrestrial presence on regular display is, of course, a fiction. No life beyond Earth has ever been found; there is no evidence that alien life has ever visited our planet. It’s all a story.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:11 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
God made everything. that includes all life on all planets and all universes.
it doesn't change a thing

of course there is life elsewhere.
Opinions vary </Dalton>

Unless man made god in his image, which is the more likely scenario. Man did not create "all life on all planets and all universes". To think of a celestial being in the shape of a man as the creator of all things is the height of arrogance and willful ignorance.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:09 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post

For others it will . I once had a pastor who insisted that it was impossible for there to be other life elsewhere, because if there were other intelligent life they would need some sort of Christ for themselves, and the Bible says there is only one Christ . Ergo, in his view life beyond Earth is impossible . So some folks would undergo a major theological overhaul if aliens visit us.

I touched on this subject in a thread in the paranormal section , but I’ll do so here . Any alien life able to get here will likely be so far advanced above us as to be gods to us . As far advanced past us as we are past earthworms. They would have had to solve the problem of faster than light speed , which our current physics tell us is impossible . If some alien race has conquered this problem they are not just a few generations ahead of us, they are of a whole different order technology and scientifically wise . We would be less than dogs to them .

I have a book recommendation for you.

Strugatski Brothers
roadside picnic(aka Stalker)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

Right on the 2nd premise in your post.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:12 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
….I.E. aliens etc; are real. Where does this leave the structure of most major religions, most specifically Christianity? I am not attempting to challenge religion here. I believe in the existence of God. I do however can’t help myself but question the ideology behind most major religions as the origin of life.

I have since my childhood felt that we were likely put here by a more advanced life form. And maybe that was God. HOWEVER, if you look at what we are doing today scientifically in the compound effect science has on its self with advancements, there is no doubt that we as humans will be able to create life at some point down the road. Maybe we could travel to another planet and set up life there. Maybe that’s how we all got here?

Regardless I study UFO’s the latest news surrounding this topic and I have ZERO doubt that we are being visited, have been visited for some time. Visitors seem to take the highest level of interest in our nuclear capabilities and abilities to destroy ourselves. Often seemingly issuing warnings. More and more credible sources almost daily now coming out and hinting at this. To the point it’s now like, “just come on and tell us already.”

Where will this leave your thoughts on Christianity etc? Will it change anything in your beliefs?

Assuming your premise is true (Which, hey, it could certainly happen), then it has no real effect on my belief system as a Christian. For Christianity should be about humility in the knowledge that God created an unimaginably vast universe, one that existed billions of years before us and will go for untold billions of years longer. And that our role in it is to treat those in our tiny corner of it–and our brief time in God's creation--with respect, generosity, and humility for all we encounter. The operative word, by the way, is humility.

This approach does not preclude belief in other life or other intelligences. Otherwise you're just putting limitations on God and His creation, making Him in your image--not being satisfied with the opposite. Even the literal 'in God's image' notion may be a faulty one. Perhaps it's a figurative one of being sapient, empathetic individuals who, at our best, are attuned to more than our own selfish desires.

Where we get into trouble as a faith is when we think we have all the answers, that we have the secret decoder ring to God, that we live in special times at the end of history. Some sects of Christianity, typically those who believe in a literal Bible that holds every answer to every question or are consumed by eschatology, will be the ones whose faith would be shaken by such a revelation. After all, it doesn't follow the script they've followed all their lives. The rest of us will likely be content with the mystery of creation and the heritage we have as caretakers of it.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 11-14-2021 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-14-2021, 01:54 PM

299 posts, read 103,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
No, not at all; there's no reason why God couldn't create aliens (other life forms than the ones we are familiar with here on this planet) too. I personally don't see it as challenging to any of the beliefs which I currently hold.

Even that wouldn't change it. A pastor of a church I once attended had a student (in a community college course he taught) ask him what if there was proof that God did not exist? He said that God definitely could give us proof that he doesn't exist, that is definitely something he has the right and ability to do. That still leaves us with the question do we trust what science shows us or God's word? God does write that he will bring about delusions for those who do not love the truth (his word). I get the impression that were there to be this proof of God's non-existence, there will be even more who do not believe that the Bible is the true word of God as so many even now (with no real proof of the non-existence of God) think it is man-made rubbish.

This is mind-bending. The claim that "God definitely could give us proof that he doesn't exist . . ." is absurd. Proof means that the thing proved is true with a probability of 100%. If it were proved that God didn't exist, then he wouldn't. And hence there would exist no God to offer proofs of His non-existence. It's the old can-God-make-a-rock? gag told in other words.

If God distributes false delusions, then He offers lies, not proofs. Totally different things.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:53 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:

“ A new research paper written by an American physicist has proposed a theory for how faster-than-light travel could be possible. The research was carried out by Erik Lentz, who did the work at Germany’s University of Goettingen.” - https://learningenglish.voanews.com/...t/5815680.html

Old 11-14-2021, 02:59 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
“ A new research paper written by an American physicist has proposed a theory for how faster-than-light travel could be possible. The research was carried out by Erik Lentz, who did the work at Germany’s University of Goettingen.” - https://learningenglish.voanews.com/...t/5815680.html
The hypothetical solution depends on rearranging both time and space . As I said, any culture that can do this is as far advanced past us as we are past dogs .

Old 11-14-2021, 03:17 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
The hypothetical solution depends on rearranging both time and space . As I said, any culture that can do this is as far advanced past us as we are past dogs .
yes, they are more advanced than we are and yes they do have that greater understanding re: bold above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality