Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2021, 12:17 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God is not insecure. He does not punish anyone out of any sense of insecurity.
So he does it for the fun of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 12:40 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Punitive justice is a human construct born of our impotence to prevent or restore the damage wrought by evil. It is to soothe our wrath, vengeance, and insecurity in an attempt to prevent future occurrences as a deterrent. God's Divine justice is NOT impotent and is not based on wrath, vengeance, or insecurity.
Quote:
What Bible verse says that?

I literally just said God does not judge based on insecurity. So when you ignore my statements and say this, it tells me that you don't actually read what's posted. So why should anyone pay attention to your nonsense?
I was pointing out that the use of punitive justice automatically presumes impotence, wrath, vengeance, and insecurity so it can NOT be true of God's Divine justice. I was in a sense agreeing with you about God's lack of insecurity while disagreeing with you about the existence of eternal punishment.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:50 PM

299 posts, read 104,097 times
Quote:
The issue is that you have too low a view of God and too high a view of humanity. You can't fathom an all-powerful, all holy God that demands justice.
BF, you really need to work on scaling back your use of the straw man. No one has raised any doubt that God demands justice, so you shouldn't suggest that they've done that. What some of us doubt is whether a proper understanding of justice includes retribution - punishment inflicted with no happy result in mind except the suffering of the subject.

Taking pleasure from the pain of others is called schadenfreude, or in extreme cases, sadism. Do I have too low an opinion of God if I say he lacks these attributes?

Old 11-24-2021, 12:53 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
BF, you really need to work on scaling back your use of the straw man. No one has raised any doubt that God demands justice, so you shouldn't suggest that they've done that. What some of us doubt is whether a proper understanding of justice includes retribution - punishment inflicted with no happy result in mind except the suffering of the subject.

Taking pleasure from the pain of others is called schadenfreude, or in extreme cases, sadism. Do I have too low an opinion of God if I say he lacks these attributes?

Old 11-24-2021, 12:59 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
It is black and white . It’s either/or. Either God achieves Its goal or it doesn’t . Again, all the commentaries you can provide are just excuse making , nothing more . They don’t change the reality that God doesn’t accomplish what It set out to do .
God's "goal" as you put it, is simply to be glorified in and by His creation.

You can call perfectly reasonable explanations "excuses" if you want to, but to me that only shows a lack of willingness to do any serious deep thought on your part, which is disappointing.

Quote:
You are merely throwing stuff against the wall now and hoping something sticks . There is no basis at all for this speculation.
Well, it is just speculation. I believe I have a basis in making it, but it really doesn't matter.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Logically if your god is all knowing, free will can not exist. If it knows what you are going to do, you can not choose to do something else.
There is nothing illogical about God being omniscient and humans having free will.

It is possible that you are either misunderstanding what omniscience means or misunderstanding what free will means.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:11 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

You can call perfectly reasonable explanations "excuses" if you want to, but to me that only shows a lack of willingness to do any serious deep thought on your part, which is disappointing.
It is ironic that the guy that admits he is not allowed to disagree with his church claims to be disappointed when I don’t accept what his church writes

Gods goal is stated plainly . That It wants all men to be saved. It’s not guesswork or speculation, it’s written plainly in the Bible . So either that happens , or it doesn’t .

The passages you quote are merely Christians trying to justify hell, without thinking too much on the problem of hell. That is what is disappointing. That people simply accept what they are told , and then from there work to justify what they are told they must believe . The church is faced with a conundrum. A loving God who says It wants to save everyone versus a teaching of the church that not everyone gets saved . So this must somehow get worked out in their minds . They do so by offering all sorts of reasons why God didn’t really mean It wanted to save everyone, or excuses why God just can’t save everyone . But in the end they are just excuses for why church teachings don’t mesh with Gods biblical claim It wants to save everyone . There is nothing impressive in this, it involves no real independent thinking . It only involves people accepting without question that what they are told they must believe is true, then working to justify that in their minds by all these various excuses for God .

The deep thought would be to question why God fails at accomplishing what It says It wants to happen, and what that says about your version of God and your theology . But you aren’t allowed to do that .

Old 11-24-2021, 01:25 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Well, it is just speculation. I believe I have a basis in making it, but it really doesn't matter.
An awfully lot of posts for something that "really doesn't matter".

Old 11-24-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It is ironic that the guy that admits he is not allowed to disagree with his church claims to be disappointed when I don’t accept what his church writes
I'm not saying you should accept it as in believe that it's true, but the explanations (excuses as you call them) are perfectly reasonable and work just fine within the framework of the dogmas.

Quote:
Gods goal is stated plainly . That It wants all men to be saved. It’s not guesswork or speculation, it’s written plainly in the Bible . So either that happens , or it doesn’t .
Interesting that you describe that verse as a "goal" of God's. I would not phrase it that way, and I don't see God as having "goals". Having a "goal" implies that the goal can either be met or not. God does not have a "goal". God has a will and a purpose.

Yes, there seems to be a problem here because we know two seemingly contradictory things:

1) God wants all men to be saved
2) Not all men are saved

There's nothing wrong with doing our best to try to intellectually reconcile this apparent problem. I happen to think Fr. Callan in the commentary I quoted several posts ago does a nice job of doing that. I'm sorry that you see it as "excuse-making".

If you feel that this apparent contradiction is enough justification to abandon Christianity, then that's your prerogative and I find it unfortunate. It's not so with me.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
An awfully lot of posts for something that "really doesn't matter".
I was referring specifically to my personal speculations regarding the feasibility or logic of annihilationism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality