Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2021, 12:06 AM

18,189 posts, read 16,752,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
God will show us all, soon.

I wonder if he really believes that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 05:55 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,881,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I wonder if he really believes that....

100% positive

Old 12-14-2021, 08:18 AM
Status: "My worldview is based on the inerrant word of God." (set 26 days ago)

18,738 posts, read 6,816,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You JWs need to stop violating the TOS about claiming other Christians are NOT real Christians!!!
pot....kettle....

Big time.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
100% positive

I am absolutely mystified as to why. According to most scholars:

There are no existing eyewitness or contemporary accounts of Jesus. All we have are later descriptions of Jesus’ life events by non-eyewitnesses, most of whom are obviously biased.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...oesnt-hold-up/

And that's just for starters. Why would you believe 100% that a person for whom there isn't an iota of historical evidence is actually showing up at some point in the future?

Old 12-14-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I am absolutely mystified as to why. According to most scholars:

There are no existing eyewitness or contemporary accounts of Jesus. All we have are later descriptions of Jesus’ life events by non-eyewitnesses, most of whom are obviously biased.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...oesnt-hold-up/

And that's just for starters. Why would you believe 100% that a person for whom there isn't an iota of historical evidence is actually showing up at some point in the future?
My scholars can beat up your scholars. My scholars say the Gospels are eyewitness accounts, as well as testimonies we find in the letters of Paul, Peter, John, James , etc.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:10 AM

16,581 posts, read 4,866,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My scholars can beat up your scholars.
No they can not.

Quote:
My scholars say the Gospels are eyewitness accounts, ...
Eyewitness accounts do not copy other peoples work. They do not write using techniques of fiction, nor do they invent joke names.

Quote:
... as well as testimonies we find in the letters of Paul, Peter, John, James , etc.
That will be the ambiguous brother of the Lord reference; a later, faked epistle; and a later interpolation. Whereas I can use Paul to show he knew nothing about a historical Jesus, and Hebrews to show some of the earliest Christians thought the sacrifice of Jesus was in heaven.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:45 AM

63,405 posts, read 39,647,364 times
Quote:
pot....kettle....
Big time.
I have never said anyone was not a true Christian because having faith in Jesus as our Savior has nothing to do with what you believe ABOUT Him. We can have faith because our salvation does not have anything to do with us. It is all about what Jesus accomplished. The only ones who distinguish among Christians are those who think they are the elect and others are not.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
My scholars can beat up your scholars. My scholars say the Gospels are eyewitness accounts, as well as testimonies we find in the letters of Paul, Peter, John, James , etc.

Thank you for a good laugh.

The majority of New Testament scholars agree that the Gospels do not contain eyewitness accounts; but that they present the theologies of their communities rather than the testimony of eyewitnesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...of_the_Gospels

Old 12-14-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No they can not.

Eyewitness accounts do not copy other peoples work. They do not write using techniques of fiction, nor do they invent joke names.

That will be the ambiguous brother of the Lord reference; a later, faked epistle; and a later interpolation. Whereas I can use Paul to show he knew nothing about a historical Jesus, and Hebrews to show some of the earliest Christians thought the sacrifice of Jesus was in heaven.
yawn. Come up with a new argument. Your tired old arguments are pointless here.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you for a good laugh.

The majority of New Testament scholars agree that the Gospels do not contain eyewitness accounts; but that they present the theologies of their communities rather than the testimony of eyewitnesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...of_the_Gospels
Define "New Testament scholar", and explain why they should be believed. And since you said "majority", please provide a listing of all scholars and which way they view it. Nevermind that the popular argument is a logical fallacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality