Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2021, 05:59 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've been practicing apologetics for 25 years, including debating atheists, as well as viewing other debates of Christians/atheists. There isn't much you have said that's new.
That wasn't the question. So thank you for your non-answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 08:01 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
including debating atheists,

And losing most of them...?

Old 12-15-2021, 12:12 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
How about you try to approach this from an actual intellectual position, instead of merely arguing emotion or opinion?
Some of us do, but you just dismiss valid objections as "tired old arguments". It is about time YOU tried to approach this from an actual intellectual position, instead of merely arguing emotion or opinion.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:23 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Some of us do, but you just dismiss valid objections as "tired old arguments". It is about time YOU tried to approach this from an actual intellectual position, instead of merely arguing emotion or opinion.
Still waiting for those "valid objections". I have given you answers. You continue to rehash the same old arguments that have been dealt with long ago.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Still waiting for those "valid objections". I have given you answers. You continue to rehash the same old arguments that have been dealt with long ago.
We all rehash. Including -- as much as anyone -- you. There are days that go by on this -- and every other "religious" forum I've ever been a part of -- without any 'new' thinking. After all, you folks have been peddling the same old fables for 2,000 years.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We all rehash. Including -- as much as anyone -- you. There are days that go by on this -- and every other "religious" forum I've ever been a part of -- without any 'new' thinking. After all, you folks have been peddling the same old fables for 2,000 years.
And let's be honest. This forum is stale.

There is a group of people that hate religion and everything that has to do with it. They bash anyone religious, especially the "fundamentalists".

Then there is the group of people that actually believe the Bible is authoritative and we are religious. We disagree with you and the others.

Both sides give their opinions, both sides repeat the same arguments. No one really listens. And it continues on. Fact of the matter is, I've answered every objection I've seen. But no one cares to listen, and they simply dismiss it, the same way you think I dismiss you. The fact is, I rarely respond to you for that reason -- that you are unreasonable and unwilling to have a reasonable discussion.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Still waiting for those "valid objections".
Jesus being born twice.
The alleged external evidence for Jesus.
The Epistle to the Hebrews saying Jesus was sacrificed only once, in heaven.
The gospels being rewrites of the earlier gospels, so not eyewitness accounts.
Fatigue in the gospels, so not eyewitness accounts.
Plagiarism in the gospels, so not eyewitness accounts.
The gospels written in a format used for fiction.
Made up joke names in the gospels.

Quote:
I have given you answers. You continue to rehash the same old arguments that have been dealt with long ago.
Dismissed long ago, but never answered. And by others, I do not think you have addressed me on the points I have made.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:

There is a group of people that hate religion and everything that has to do with it.
This is not only false, but ironically your usual rehashed persecution complex.

Quote:
They bash anyone religious, especially the "fundamentalists".
Because 9/11 was a good thing? Lying about science is a good thing?

Old 12-15-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Jesus being born twice.
huh?
Quote:

The alleged external evidence for Jesus.
Explain how the Gospels are not evidence enough.

Nevermind the church he founded, and the way the world was changed as a result. Even the fact that it's now 2021 AD demonstrates a shift.
Quote:
The Epistle to the Hebrews saying Jesus was sacrificed only once, in heaven.
He was sacrificed once. But no, Hebrews does not suggest that it happened in Heaven.
Quote:
The gospels being rewrites of the earlier gospels, so not eyewitness accounts.
By Matthew, Mark, John, who were all eyewitnesses. Luke may not have been but he interviewed men who were. His account of the early church in Acts demonstrates he rubbed shoulders with the apostles.
Quote:
Fatigue in the gospels, so not eyewitness accounts.
Please elaborate
Quote:
Plagiarism in the gospels, so not eyewitness accounts.
You mean them repeating the same stories told by the apostles as they preached about Jesus? That's what they were. They recorded stories told and they compiled the stories that were preached by the apostles, with each presenting some new material.
Quote:
The gospels written in a format used for fiction.
They were historical accounts.
Quote:
Made up joke names in the gospels.
You mean the names of men who were disciples?
Quote:

Dismissed long ago, but never answered. And by others, I do not think you have addressed me on the points I have made.
I've answered the vast majority of these questions you claim were dismissed, and asked you to elaborate on the ones I didn't understand. Now, you can whine about it and claim that they are not sufficient answers, but it's not honest to say I didn't answer them. Truth be told, there will never be sufficient answers for you because I don't believe you're interested in truth.

This is what I was referring to. Nothing we can say will actually be enough. You've made up your mind and you have an impossible standard.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:

There is a group of people that hate religion and everything that has to do with it. They bash anyone religious, especially the "fundamentalists".

Then there is the group of people that actually believe the Bible is authoritative and we are religious. We disagree with you and the others.

Both sides give their opinions, both sides repeat the same arguments. No one really listens. And it continues on. Fact of the matter is, I've answered every objection I've seen. But no one cares to listen, and they simply dismiss it, the same way you think I dismiss you. The fact is, I rarely respond to you for that reason -- that you are unreasonable and unwilling to have a reasonable discussion.
No.

1. You've answered every objection...to your satisfaction. Well gee, you're impressed with yourself. Let us all applaud.

2. I read every post of yours. There's nothing new that I haven't heard for 60 years. We've heard all of your arguments before, and yet you seem to think that you're so profound that you're going to change reasoning that we have used for years. There's nothing profound about your posts (nor for most of the posts on this forum). And some of us aren't looking to be profound; we have a different purpose in being here.

3. Actually, you respond to me almost every time I respond to you. Don't keep breaking that commandment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality