Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 02:23 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Define God.
This could be a start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XERGzdFh-ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
No, I don't see the issue. Other than you continuing to conflate and/or misapply terms.

Ditto. I clarified that by the time something gets labeled a theory in scientific parlance, it has been supported by an overwhelming body of knowledge following multiple lines of evidence, and comes as close to established fact as we can generally get. Other examples include the "theories" that the earth and other planets revolve around the sun, that gravity keeps humans and rocks from floating off into space, that the earth's surface has undergone considerable remodeling over millions of years, that living things are made of cells, and that germs cause disease. If you want to argue that evolution is "just a theory" (and therefore pure speculation), you might as well argue that the sun orbits the moon, that you are held to the ground by stickum on your shoes, or that my headcold was caused by alien ray guns.

Whether you want to call those conclusions Scientific Theory or Fact, the point is we know how these things work, with an extremely high degree of confidence. They are not hunches, educated (or uneducated) guesses, or speculation. And that applies to evolution perhaps more than any other "theory."

Why are they different? Apparently I missed that HUMAN evolution is the important qualifier? Sorry, but any comments about evolution in general apply equally to human evolution, which followed (and continues to follow) the same processes and pressures as the evolutionary pathways for other living things.

I said credible scientists, and that their broad agreement was to the fundamental theory of evolution. The Discovery Institute is best known for pseudoscience, and is a long ways from "credible."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Scie...from_Darwinism
So you can't put it in a simple YES or NO answer.

Are you saying that the theory of human evaluation is not a theory, it's a 100% fact?

Old 12-07-2021, 03:23 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Are you saying that the theory of human evolution is not a theory, it's a 100% fact?
This is very tiresome. Scientific theories are comprised of multiple100% FACTS. Theories are more solid than mere facts! In the case of evolution, there are multiple facts across multiple disciplines over decades and longer. It is not a single fact. It is more certain than that. It has no impact on the existence of God.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:42 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:

Are you saying that the theory of human evaluation is not a theory, it's a 100% fact?
It doesn't matter.
We could have another entire thread now about debating the definitions of theories and facts. It's really missing the point and focusing on the wrong thing. Don't get hung up on the definitions.
Evolution is as clear as the nose on your face.

I recommend a visit to the Natural History museum in DC.
It's really fantastic.
I challenge anyone to visit and see it all laid out clear as day and walk out not accepting how blatanty obvious evolution is.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:46 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is very tiresome. Scientific theories are comprised of multiple100% FACTS. Theories are more solid than mere facts! In the case of evolution, there are multiple facts across multiple disciplines over decades and longer. It is not a single fact. It is more certain than that. It has no impact on the existence of God.
Thank you, Mystic. This is, indeed, very tiresome. I was just debating whether to even bother responding, and now I won't (bother).

In any event, GoCardinals appears to have little interest in the underlying issue (our state of knowledge about human evolution)... which he raised in the first place, as a presumably flimsy/unsupported hypothesis being used to brainwash our children. I agree it has little/no impact on the existence of God... other than perhaps what she did (or did not do) with her time and talents, if she does exist.

With that, happy to see this thread return to the question at hand.

[ETA: Thanks also to Cruithne, for pointing back to the real issue... and to the noses on our faces, which evolved over time! ]

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 12-07-2021 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It doesn't matter.
We could have another entire thread now about debating the definitions of theories and facts. It's really missing the point and focusing on the wrong thing. Don't get hung up on the definitions.
Evolution is as clear as the nose on your face.

I recommend a visit to the Natural History museum in DC.
It's really fantastic.
I challenge anyone to visit and see it all laid out clear as day and walk out not accepting how blatanty obvious evolution is.
again, basic evolution vs human evolution. Two different subjects.

All you need to say is, Human evolution is a scientific fact, if you thing you are not hung between the definition of theory and fact.

I personally don't have any intention to influence anyone's beliefs.

There is a group who supports the scientific community that believes in the theory of human evolution, and there is a group who supports the scientific community that does not believe in the theory of human evolution. (Heck, two highly trained and well qualified physicians may not agree to treat one same patient, the same way. Isn't this a common trait among the scientific communities?)

Both groups have free choice to believe whatever they want to support and believe, and I don't have an issue with it.

Lets put an end to this argument right here.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Thank you, Mystic. This is, indeed, very tiresome. I was just debating whether to even bother responding, and now I won't (bother).

In any event, GoCardinals appears to have little interest in the underlying issue (our state of knowledge about human evolution)... which he raised in the first place, as a presumably flimsy/unsupported hypothesis being used to brainwash our children. I agree it has little/no impact on the existence of God... other than perhaps what she did (or did not do) with her time and talents, if she does exist.

With that, happy to see this thread return to the question at hand.

[ETA: Thanks also to Cruithne, for pointing back to the real issue... and to the noses on our faces, which evolved over time! ]
Heela BTW your post explaining theory earlier was excellent. I was going to comment on it before the thread moved on.

I just wanted to highlight that whether it's referred to as a theory or fact, it's clearly proven.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:35 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

All you need to say is, Human evolution is a scientific fact, if you thing you are not hung between the definition of theory and fact.

There is a group who supports the scientific community that believes in the theory of human evolution, and there is a group who supports the scientific community that does not believe in the theory of human evolution. (Heck, two highly trained and well qualified physicians may not agree to treat one same patient, the same way. Isn't this a common trait among the scientific communities?)

Both groups have free choice to believe whatever they want to support and believe, and I don't have an issue with it.

There is no such thing as a separate theory of human evolution. There is THE Theory of Evolution that applies to all life, period. Get an education.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4max View Post
Many say God exist; many say He doesn’t. Voltaire, a French philosopher, argued: “If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him”. That is a powerful thought, except for one thing, if God did not exist, neither would man; for, God, it is said, created mankind. So there was no possible way for man to invent God. But, the point in Voltaire’s argument is that the fear of God, rather than His existence, promotes a safer society everywhere. And when one looks at this marvelous world with everything it is made of to enhance and sustain life for all living creatures, which couldn’t possibly come into existence by accident, anyone gifted with a bit of reasoning, just can’t help concluding that a Supernatural Being, none other than a God, is responsible for all this. That, by itself, should be enough evidence for someone to at least believe that a God exists even though they wouldn’t honor Him. But regardless, many say God doesn’t exist. Would it be because such individuals are excessively sapient or excessively mindless? In either case, it would be wiser to not criticize their belief before one would get to know the motive and motivation behind their concept.
The thing is, if God exists for you, it doesn’t matter if someone says He doesn’t exist. And if He doesn’t exist for you, it doesn’t matter if someone says He exists. For, God Himself couldn’t care less whether or not one believes He exists. For, although one may think God doesn’t exist, He knows they exist and His proof is that He created them. He doesn’t have to prove Himself to anyone by making them see Him physically so that they may believe in him. If one believes a spiritual world exists, one may as well believe that God exists. Just because a child doesn’t know his father doesn’t mean the father doesn’t exist. For, Jesus said unto Thomas. “… because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”

But wait, if one says God doesn’t exist, what’s the need to tell them what Jesus, His son, said?

To those who may say God doesn’t exist because they can’t see Him, I understand, but I would invite them to understand that God is a Spirit and He is invisible. And if they were to see God in His splendor, they would drop dead, for the human eyes can’t see God’s face. Moses also was itched by the desire to see God. And although God warned him, and after he persisted, God let him see Him from the back as he took shelter in a cave (Exodus24:9-11).
To those who may say God doesn’t exist because He doesn’t answer their prayers, I would invite them to understand that it is only through their faith God will answer their prayers; for God is not moved by tears or by vain words, but by faith only.
Indeed, God doesn’t exist where He is not invited to exist; and He exists where He is invited to exist. The point is if God doesn’t live in someone, He doesn’t exist for that person. And if God lives in someone, He exists for that person. However, many say God doesn’t exist either because they have an easy life filled with pleasure, enjoyments and privileges, or because they are having a bitter life filled with pain, suffering, and misfortunes which leaves them no moment to think otherwise. Whatever may be the case, If not while one is still alive, but when one is dead, one will come to know for sure whether or not God exists. For, He is there alive and visible in the world of Spirits.
So, if one says God doesn’t exist, I agree. And if one says God exists, I agree. I have my reasons
The bolded, I complely agree with. The rest of it, not so much.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:18 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

So why do you keep posting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality