Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 10:21 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You're a funny guy.

My observations come from science, the limitations of science, and observation. You though need to follow what other people say. And that's why you keep throwing out links from others, because you're unable to speak and think strictly from and by yourself. I don't need to read any more religion from the evolutionists. Their actions show their faith and religion. They know nothing more than anyone else, but are sure to shortcut their perceptions in their deluded pursuit of self-grandeur.
I'm not a guy. It's okay you're only about the third person in as many weeks.

No. Your observations do not come from science.
You don't even understand DNA mutation.

"I don't need to read any more religion from the evolutionists."

You claim your observations come from science yet you don't want to read the science and refer to science as religion.

LOL.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 10:22 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Oh, it's always so sad to see the evolution religionists whimper and fuss when the limitations of science are presented to them, and the room isn't filled with Yes-people.

P.S. DNA mutation is real and scientific, such as radiation causing mutations. But that's caused by external factors. You can't use that to validly support evolution either. Face up to the games and tactics.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-08-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-08-2021, 10:44 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
We should believe in the 21st Century the same uninformed superstition that people believed 3,500 years ago. Because, yeah, our knowledge and understanding of the universe in which we live hasn't advanced at all ... not one iota.

To claim that we should believe in some ancient book because a singular tribe perched precariously on one of earth's backwater locations called the book "sacred" or "holy" is folly in the extreme. [...truncated...]
Yesterday in another thread, some of us were confirming our shared experiences in being turned away from religion (and/or becoming solidified in our disbelief) by the theists posting here, more so than any atheist could ever accomplish.

For me, one aspect of this has been full realization of the NEGATIVE role played by the various "sacred/holy texts," on which so many of those theists rely for their insights and truths (using those terms very loosely). These texts were obviously written by humans, and no more "holy" than Harry Potter (except to the humans who declared them to be so; how's that for some convenient, self-fulfilling labeling?). If Yahweh inspired the random collection of books in the Bible, or Allah revealed the Quran to Muhammad via the archangel Jibral, or Joseph Smith transcribed golden plates with the help of Moroni (yet another angel)... then we might as well accept that Lord Voldemort inspired the HP series, as revealed through JK Rowling.

I have reluctantly come to accept that the protected status granted these texts (i.e., hands off, don't you dare criticize, suspend all disbelief ye who enter here) has not been good for society. Ironically, perhaps also not good for the religions that embrace them, because it has handcuffed them to ancient superstitions and myths, and impaired their own ability to evolve and remain relevant. It would have been much healthier (for all of us) had they been read and understood as any other human literature, valued for the pearls of wisdom they surely contain, but also recognized for their understandable limitations, given the time(s) in which they were written.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 12-08-2021 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-08-2021, 11:03 AM

1,799 posts, read 562,326 times
Quote:
You don't have to believe in God, or any religion, to see the flaws and holes with the theory of evolution.

The biggest flaw with the evolution theory is that DNA has no creative means in it; no way to advance in complexity. There's no vehicle for genetic material to learn, grow, and advance. It's strictly a copying and replicating mechanism. It doesn't matter how many thousands, millions, or billions of years you throw at it. If the mechanism isn't there, it isn't there.

Most try to confuse and use natural selection - which is scientific and proven - to support evolution. But natural selection does not equal evolution.

Another scientific law, that does reflect the reality of nature, is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. And that shows the complete opposite response of evolution, and the tendency over time for matter and objects to lose information, and to decay.

To believe and have faith in evolution is the exact same as having faith in the existence of God. We have no concrete proof on either side. So it will take belief in either instance. At least with spirituality though, one has the chance or potential of sensing or tapping into what might be there, whereas evolution can only be believing what other people say. There's no way to tap into or sense evolution. Even if you believed in it, it would at best be incredibly slow and imperceptible. Spirituality/cosmos would be dynamic and active.
Please explain what experiments you ran to determine the bolded above.

Also, anyone who tries to use the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics show very clearly that they have no real understanding of what it says. Here is your chance to learn some real science today . Don't waste it

https://www.thegreatcoursesdaily.com...ove-evolution/

https://biologos.org/common-question...rove-evolution

Since it is entirely probable that you WILL waste the opportunity to further your scientific education today, I will give you the conclusions of both .You are wrong. Thats what they say in a nutshell. That you don't know what you are talking about. Will this stop you from repeating your wrong claims later, even though you have the opportunity to learn the truth today? Probably not. The truth isn't really important to you guys.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:14 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
One would see how quickly we would utterly reject the idea that a being named Yahweh manifested himself on earth as his own son just so he could sacrifice himself to himself to forgive humanity via a loophole he himself is creating merely because a woman made from a rib was convinced by a talking snake to eat a magical fruit from a forbidden tree.

Yeah ... if you tried to spread that nonsense in today's world, everyone would slam the door in your face.
I agree that it requires a cognitively immature consciousness to accept such primitive reasoning. But the primitive nature of the stories and reasoning is to be expected given the evolutionary stage at which they were written. But should we utterly reject the idea that a Cosmic Consciousness manifested Himself on earth as a human during that savage era so He could transfer His perfect consciousness into the human collective consciousness? We had been given more than sufficient time to evolve from our savagery but had not been able to attain anything remotely close to acceptable, let alone perfection, on our own because of our innate primitive savagery?

Old 12-08-2021, 11:15 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
You obviously didn't read what I said, and as usual, morphed and modified it into something complete different to then use against me.

I'll restate, and simplify it to the easiest of child's understanding possible, just for you : I pointed out that this other guy has to depend on links and info from others. I never do that; never use other people's information. I always use my own contributions here. Good luck to you though, trying to function and make it through the day...
I read it 3 times.

Perhaps you don't communicate as well as you think you do.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:22 AM

16,772 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Oh, it's always so sad to see the evolution religionists ...
There is that use of 'religion' as an ad hominem.

Quote:
...whimper and fuss when the limitations of science are presented to them, ...
When did that happen?

Quote:
and the room isn't filled with Yes-people.

P.S. DNA mutation is real and scientific, such as radiation causing mutations. But that's caused by external factors. You can't use that to validly support evolution either. Face up to the games and tactics.
We can also explain epigenetics in the science forum.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:29 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Yesterday in another thread, some of us were confirming our shared experiences in being turned away from religion (and/or becoming solidified in our disbelief) by the theists posting here, more so than any atheist could ever accomplish.
Right exactly. I've always been an atheist but everytime someone says something to the effect of 'believe this or you'll go to hell', I think to myself - is this supposed to be persuasive?. Who wants a religion that scares people into believing that people burn for eternity? If I were to pick a religion, this would be the last one I'd choose.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:00 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,291 times
Quote:
I'll restate, and simplify it to the easiest of child's understanding possible, just for you : I pointed out that this other guy has to depend on links and info from others. I never do that; never use other people's information. I always use my own contributions here. Good luck to you though, trying to function and make it through the day...
Maybe you should try it. Are you seriously suggesting that you possess sufficient education and internalized knowledge to cover all the bases, on all topics, at all times, without relying on "other people's information?" If so, that's impressive. Impossible, but impressive. Even the few sentences you have contributed to this thread, filled as they are with misunderstandings and errors, confirm that is simply not true. Just as it would not be true for anyone on this planet.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:09 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times
LOL All these discussions off-topic aren't helping the thread, but the reactions certainly are amusing, so thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality