Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 12:18 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You don't have to believe in God, or any religion, to see the flaws and holes with the theory of evolution.
Evolution doesn't claim to be perfect - or 100% complete.

One of the ways believers try to weasel out of evolution's truth is to claim that it can't be true unless it is 100% complete.

Then the believer defaults back to the Bible as being true until proven false.

It's an extremely disingenuous way of debating.

And why I used to tell everyone who debated evolution with believers to stop doing it. Because I know all the tricks. Each and every time, the "evolutionist" ends up on the back foot defending evolution almost desperately to the believer.

The believer will demand that the evolutionist describe in meticulous detail how evolution works - and since the "evolutionist" isn't a scientist, he will inevitably make a mistake - which the believer will latch on to as proof that evolution is a load of nonsense.

No, instead, we're supposed to believe that an all-powerful god created humans fully formed from a pile of dirt and a rib. Seriously? The story is so absurd that the ONLY reason why anyone believes in it today is because kids get indoctrinated with this stuff at such a young age and adults encourage it. In truth, it would be no different than encouraging a belief in Santa Claus right up through adulthood. If there's no one to shake a person from ancient, unproven, and totally impossible belief systems, that which is learned in childhood will continue raging though to their deaths. A shame, really.

Quote:
The biggest flaw with the evolution theory is that DNA has no creative means in it; no way to advance in complexity. There's no vehicle for genetic material to learn, grow, and advance. It's strictly a copying and replicating mechanism. It doesn't matter how many thousands, millions, or billions of years you throw at it. If the mechanism isn't there, it isn't there.
The only "creative means" religion has is magic.

And to say that it is only a copying mechanism ... that's simply untrue. And it exemplifies another common probelm with these debates. Rarely does the believer really understand evolution to begin with and therefore can't really produce a cogent argument against it.

Evolution is pretty well filled with the way in which organisms grow, learn, and advance. This just seems like a case of ignoring the inconvenient facts while cherry picking the flaws.

Quote:
Most try to confuse and use natural selection - which is scientific and proven - to support evolution. But natural selection does not equal evolution.

Another scientific law, that does reflect the reality of nature, is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. And that shows the complete opposite response of evolution, and the tendency over time for matter and objects to lose information, and to decay.
Look out, everyone. Right here on our humble forum, Thoreau, all by himself, managed to debunk and disprove evolution. So much for all of those Ph.Ds, high IQ geniuses, and decades of experimentation, field work, and peer reviewed journal articles.

This guy here knows it all. Might as well just pack it in.

However, notice how Thoreau gives no alternative. So I guess this is just another person defaulting to religion - the same sorry argument that says, "All I have to do is debunk evolution - because that proves religion." Somehow.

So ... with the lack of any believable alternative - one that doesn't have me believing in talking snakes and women being created as an afterthought to please Adam, I'll stick with the 99.99% consensus of the scientific community.

Because, while yes, science doesn't get everything right on the first try, the scientific method is constantly rehaping the knowledge we have as new facts are discovered.

Unlike religion which never changes - except when it has to - namely when science begins disproving fundamental aspects of religion, which is all about magical thinking. Then religion sometimes must change its tune without losing its own identity. Unfortunately, with Christian apologists running around vomiting out junk science, even magic can seem like credible science to some. Again ... it's tragic.

Quote:
To believe and have faith in evolution is the exact same as having faith in the existence of God.
Ugh, I get so sick of hearing this.

I'm even more sick of explaining why this is ridiculously untrue. I used to have a text document with the argument against this trope - and whenever someone posted this, I would just copy/paste my word document and post that.

Believers would then claim, "You're just being repetitive!" Yep. Because the presented argument is repetitive. It's not my responsibility to write the same rebuttal in a new and different way each time someone says evolution is just like religion.

Ugh ... now I'm beginning to remember why I stopped posting.

So I'm just going to say - No. No, it's not "the exact same thing as having faith in the existence of god." The comparative evidence ALONE debunks that idea.

It's like saying: "Suspect A was caught at the crime scene standing over the body with the murder weapon in his hand and his DNA all over the body. But believing in Suspect A's guilt is exactly like believing in the guilt of Suspect B who lives 5,000 miles away from the crime scene in another country who was at work at the time of the murder with 205 people vouching that, yes, he was at work all day, and who doesn't even know the murder victim or even has a passport which would allow him to enter our country."

Yep, they're both the same. Might as well throw Suspect B in prison because he's just as guilty as Suspect A.

Quote:
We have no concrete proof on either side.
There is loads of concrete proof for evolution. No, it isn't 100% complete. There will be more tweaks and improvements as more facts come to light.

But evolution is so soundly proven that it is actually more heavily vetted than the theory of gravity. The odds that science will ever discover something that will completely unravel evolution is so small it's not even worth talking about.

And even if that were to happen - why should we then fall back to magic? Because there is absolutely nothing anywhere in the universe that suggests magic was the cause for anything. So why should we give the origin of life a pass and then fall back on the usual God of the Gaps fallacy: "Well, gee, we haven't figured it out yet so it must be god's magic spell that did it - and not just any god, but Yahweh, Lord God of the Hebrews because ... yeah ... Yahweh left his fingerprints on the universe's doorknob."

Quote:
So it will take belief in either instance. At least with spirituality though, one has the chance or potential of sensing or tapping into what might be there, whereas evolution can only be believing what other people say.
What makes you believe that evolution and spirituality are mutually exclusive?

Why does one have to cancel out the other? Just because I don't believe in any ridiculous stories about Yahweh and Adam and Eve, original sin, or the Bible does NOT mean I cannot be a spiritual person. For instance, no I don't believe in Heaven as it is described from a Christian point of view, but that doesn't mean I don't hope for or even believe in an afterlife ... right?

Why must an afterlife always be presided over by an angry, jealous, and wicked god who only allows those who kiss his boots thorugh the proverbial Pearly Gates? Only one religion teaches that. One. Out of the hundreds of deities and thousands of denominations. Why should I believe that one must chuck his or her brain into the trash in order to be spiritual? Why should I have to believe without evidence in magic, simultaneously disbelieving factual information in order to gain some sort of epiphany?

Why should I believe that a god like Yahweh - or indeed ANY god - would create a universe wherein evolution is undenyably and evidentially true when, in fact, it's not? Why would a god do that? Why would ANY god create a universe that provides evidence for that which isn't true? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever - and I believe that any god presiding over this universe is, at the very least, logical given the logical, organized, and systemic way the universe operates. It isn't filled with chaos.

The universe doesn't have ice cream cones the size of galaxies, cosmic space squirrels living in condos on Mercury. There aren't upside down sea horses floating through space eating photon particles for breakfast or alien magicians doing card tricks with wafers made out of neutron star dust and on and on. There's not some random, "anything goes" structure to anything that we have observed.

And yet we must forgo any sort of logic and ignore everything science is telling us in order to be spiritual? I don't believe that for a nanosecond. In fact, it makes far more sense that one must be in touch with the universe scientifically before a person can even understand his spirtual connection.

Quote:
There's no way to tap into or sense evolution. Even if you believed in it, it would at best be incredibly slow and imperceptible. Spirituality/cosmos would be dynamic and active.
That's like turning the channel away from a documentary because it's slow and pedantic to a mindless reality televison show because it's fast, the scene changes every 5 seconds, and there's always some bizarre camera angle to keep everything interesting.

I guess if you want to learn something, one stays with the documentary. If you want mindless entertainment, turn it to the reality show.

Because apparently we're stuck in our binary thinking again. Something can't be slow and even imperceptible and still yield truckloads of interesting and useful information. In fact, I don't even see the relevance here as to whether or not something is slow or dynamic, imperceptible or obvious.

After all, it took millions of years to create the Himalayan mountains. Should we then dismiss them as boring and uninteresting because we can't set up a lawn chair and watch the mountains change by the minute? Must we say that one cannot have a spiritual connection to the mountains because they aren't dynamic and exciting with new things happening every moment?

Just some thoughts to gnaw on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 12:35 PM

11,100 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Yeah, sure, right, uh-huh. This thread is about evolution. LOL. The mods could step in at any moment and remove all the long-winded texts. It sure is funny though, all the defending of the evolution faith, with ever-growing amounts of texts to somehow get ahead, while falling further behind. LOL. Beautiful.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-08-2021 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 12:40 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
LOL All these discussions off-topic aren't helping the thread, but the reactions certainly are amusing, so thanks
Ahhhhhh, so you're a provocateur? Flinging BS (Boiled Spaghetti) against the proverbial fridge door for amusement, just to see what sticks? Well played! It's not always easy to appear outwardly ill-informed, while being secretly clever on the inside. LOL indeed.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4max View Post
Just because a child doesn’t know his father doesn’t mean the father doesn’t exist. For, Jesus said unto Thomas. “… because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.†(John20:29).

There likely IS some being or power but the trick is to not fall into the trap of automatically calling it "God" because you're then trying to lead a person to conclude it has to be the Judeo/Christian god. This being, being deistic (not willing to participate at all in any earthly activities) likely doesn't know of, care about, or participate in any particular religion especially Christianity. This being simply lets things be and if there IS an afterlife a man's spirit just goes on to whatever is waiting for it. No "heaven" no hell no anything based on man-made constructs of what they think the afterworld is like, including ridiculous ideas of punishment or reward.

We have no reliable record of a Jesus ever saying the bold above. The gospels are NOT reliable records. They were written a hundred years later by Greek scholars who were NOT eyewitnesses nor did they likely ever speak to any eyewitnesses as all of the eyewitnesses were dead by that time. These gospels are fiction made up out of the minds of the writers who wrote them.

This particular verse was created by the churchmen as a sort of apology for not having a shred of evidence to support the existence of Jesus, but because they still wanted the pagans to believe he existed they concocted this angle to make it seem like it was a godly virtue to believe in Jesus without having a single piece of evidence he was real. It was a brilliant strategy and it worked beautifully on the dumb pagans who fell for it.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:59 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
LOL All these discussions off-topic aren't helping the thread, but the reactions certainly are amusing, so thanks
You engaged in the topic.
Maybe practice what you preach?

Old 12-08-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You engaged in the topic.
Maybe practice what you preach?
LOL You guys are hilarious today. A simple review of pages back will see whoever steered the ship (topic) off-course into evolution land, and it wasn't me. But I doubt you'll have the guts to check it out for yourself.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-08-2021 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
LOL You guys are hilarious today. A simple review of pages back will see whoever steered the ship (topic) off-course into evolution land, and it wasn't me. But I doubt you'll have the guts to check it out for yourself. So keep up with the self-inflicted stumbling.
I didn't say it was you that started it.
I said you engaged in it.

A simple review a few pages back you will see that you engaged in the topic. Remember?

Perhaps a dictionary definition of engage will help:

'participate or become involved in'

Old 12-08-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I didn't say it was you that started it.
I said you engaged in it.

A simple review a few pages back you will see that you engaged in the topic. Remember?
Whatever you say Mr./Mrs. Engager. But I can see the mods possibly coming in soon to sweep away all of this off-topic nonsense. Keep it up if you want though. It's a pure waste of time, but have fun with it!

Old 12-08-2021, 01:14 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
LOL You guys are hilarious today. A simple review of pages back will see whoever steered the ship (topic) off-course into evolution land, and it wasn't me. But I doubt you'll have the guts to check it out for yourself. So keep up with the self-inflicted stumbling.
OK, I've got the guts. GoCardinals (another theist) first raised the ugly specter of evolution, as an example of that nasty scientific brainwashing to which our children are subjected (you know, "other people's information"). After several of us responded, most concluded that this had, indeed, blown us far enough off-course that the thread should return to the original topic. Whereupon you dropped the following, filled with misinformation and unsupportable claims.....

Quote:
You don't have to believe in God, or any religion, to see the flaws and holes with the theory of evolution.

The biggest flaw with the evolution theory is that DNA has no creative means in it; no way to advance in complexity. There's no vehicle for genetic material to learn, grow, and advance. It's strictly a copying and replicating mechanism. It doesn't matter how many thousands, millions, or billions of years you throw at it. If the mechanism isn't there, it isn't there.

Most try to confuse and use natural selection - which is scientific and proven - to support evolution. But natural selection does not equal evolution.

Another scientific law, that does reflect the reality of nature, is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. And that shows the complete opposite response of evolution, and the tendency over time for matter and objects to lose information, and to decay.

To believe and have faith in evolution is the exact same as having faith in the existence of God. We have no concrete proof on either side. So it will take belief in either instance. At least with spirituality though, one has the chance or potential of sensing or tapping into what might be there, whereas evolution can only be believing what other people say. There's no way to tap into or sense evolution. Even if you believed in it, it would at best be incredibly slow and imperceptible. Spirituality/cosmos would be dynamic and active.
...and this...

Quote:
You're a funny guy.

My observations come from science, the limitations of science, and observation. You though need to follow what other people say. And that's why you keep throwing out links from others, because you're unable to speak and think strictly from and by yourself. I don't need to read any more religion from the evolutionists. Their actions show their faith and religion. They know nothing more than anyone else, but are sure to shortcut their perceptions in their deluded pursuit of self-grandeur.
... and this...

Quote:
Oh, it's always so sad to see the evolution religionists whimper and fuss when the limitations of science are presented to them, and the room isn't filled with Yes-people.

P.S. DNA mutation is real and scientific, such as radiation causing mutations. But that's caused by external factors. You can't use that to validly support evolution either. Face up to the games and tactics.
... and now that people dared to correct that misinformation and address those claims, you are hiding behind "Off topic, wasn't me! LOL"

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 12-08-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Whatever you say Mr./Mrs. Engager. But I can see the mods possibly coming in soon to sweep away all of this off-topic nonsense. Keep it up if you want though. It's a pure waste of time, but have fun with it!
Yah. I know it's a waste of time.
I've been around here long enough to know that evolution deniers aren't going to consider any actual evidence.
Your statements were worth refuting though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality