Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 03:52 AM

87 posts, read 66,175 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm under a great deal of stress in all 4 areas of my life: health/relationships/money/career atm. I suspect this is being exacerbated by COVID (I'm sure we will come to recognise COVID as a collective traumatic experience).

My therapist says I have chronic stress. Which I expect is not made any better given I already have issues with epilepsy and depression. Another therapist previously noted that I tend to be excessively hard on myself and have a huge inner critic.

A friend suggests that I carry a "worry coin/stone" in my pocket and whenever I am overthinking things use it to rub on. (Aside from the fact that I am usually not aware that I'm overthinking an issue, until someone points it out) I wonder if such an object does actually work to relieve stress? [I know aromatherapy does work but most of the facilities are closed due to lockdown restrictions].

If you use one yourself, please could I know your experience (perhaps even suggest what I should get)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 06:33 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
I would not attribute mystical powers to such things, but giving yourself a focus for your stress or anxiety has been known to work for some people. I've read testimonials for kneading clay or squeezing foam balls and things of that nature.

My wife has an anxious constitution and in her youth, used to compulsively twist a strand of hair into a knot over and over again. To this day, her thumb on that hand has limited range of motion and is at an odd angle from her other one. So a caveat would be, whatever you choose to take your nerves out on, maybe throw some variations in there at times so you don't harm yourself physically.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:01 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
Hi,

I'm under a great deal of stress in all 4 areas of my life: health/relationships/money/career atm. I suspect this is being exacerbated by COVID (I'm sure we will come to recognise COVID as a collective traumatic experience).

My therapist says I have chronic stress. Which I expect is not made any better given I already have issues with epilepsy and depression. Another therapist previously noted that I tend to be excessively hard on myself and have a huge inner critic.

A friend suggests that I carry a "worry coin/stone" in my pocket and whenever I am overthinking things use it to rub on. (Aside from the fact that I am usually not aware that I'm overthinking an issue, until someone points it out) I wonder if such an object does actually work to relieve stress? [I know aromatherapy does work but most of the facilities are closed due to lockdown restrictions].

If you use one yourself, please could I know your experience (perhaps even suggest what I should get)?
I'd suggest that as a question in a psychology forum, because there is nothing mystical or religious about such a thing.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:06 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I would not attribute mystical powers to such things, but giving yourself a focus for your stress or anxiety has been known to work for some people. I've read testimonials for kneading clay or squeezing foam balls and things of that nature.

My wife has an anxious constitution and in her youth, used to compulsively twist a strand of hair into a knot over and over again. To this day, her thumb on that hand has limited range of motion and is at an odd angle from her other one. So a caveat would be, whatever you choose to take your nerves out on, maybe throw some variations in there at times so you don't harm yourself physically.
I agree with this.

I have a problem with low-level tachycardia. When it happens I usually sit in my recliner till it ends. Aside from a medication, a technique that sometimes helps is that I focus on a Buddha statue and concentrate of relaxing my mind and body. It's nothing religious. Just something to focus on. Sometimes works, sometimes not.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:42 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'd suggest that as a question in a psychology forum, because there is nothing mystical or religious about such a thing.
The forum includes "spiritual", not just "religion".

Old 12-18-2021, 05:11 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
There was a thread on the use of stones and cystals in the Pagan forum not long ago. Not exactly what you asked about, but you might find that interesting.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/paga...-crystals.html

Old 12-18-2021, 05:35 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Valocordin works very well.

Otherwise, whatever you BELIEVE into WILL work. It's question of FAITH, not some magic features of this or that.

Also, turn off TV, get off all social media and, if possible to survive, kill internet. Don't even go here. Forums are not the healthiest place to recover from stress.

You need to shut down all irritants. Also, change your diet. No stimulants, low sugar, as much raw foods as possible. No meat, meat is toxic after animal slaughter. If you could, go about a month raw eating only.

But, best treatment is to remove yourself from the world for a month or so.
Oh, and stay away from toxic people.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:48 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,042,443 times
Quote:
Hi,

Why don't you go for curing the problem and not the symptoms? If you have a problem over-thinking something, then stop over thinking them. Covid doesn't have to be a problem that causes this sort of reaction. What is the root cause of all these problems? Work on that and you won't need rocks and little voodoo dolls to worry for you.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:03 AM

250 posts, read 148,202 times
I'm having trouble with those same four areas. Something's got to give, right?

I think a coin or stone might help some with your anxiety. It's as simple as getting a dollar coin or smooth thin stone from anywhere and rub on it from time to time as you feel the desire. It can be a good outlet. I have an old coin that a relative used in war time long ago as a stress reliever. So much in fact, I cannot get it identified as it's nearly perfectly smooth. I can imagine it helped him. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:08 PM

269 posts, read 329,476 times
Quote:
I wonder if such an object does actually work to relieve stress?
Only if it's a mojo bean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality