Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2021, 12:26 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We have a regular poster on this forum (she hasn't been here lately, though) who was raised in the JW faith and left it. Her user name, L8gr8Apost8, reflects this. Her own mother has shunned her. She belongs to a support group for people who escaped from damaging religious backgrounds and has posted extensively about it on here. She does not condemn those who are still in her former sect, as she understands the mindset that keeps them there.

The increased presence of JWs on this site is due to COVID. They are taught that they are biblically obligated to continually harass others into accepting their religion; hence, the tradition of walking around knocking on people's doors. With COVID, they can longer do that, so they are being instructed to hit forums and message boards instead.
Back in the early days of covid...before vaccine...I started getting telephone calls from them, and they wouldn't stop, despite 3 requests to do so. Finally after a little online research I found the address of their coven (LOL) and the next time they called I told them that if they called again I would come to their address -- and I read the address to them -- and I would be sure they never called again. That did the trick. But how sad that a group will not stop trying to proselytize even after multiple requests. It's a sickness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 01:49 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesdude View Post
thats nice. I have no concern for the reasons jws do what they do. I can tell the legitimacy of the jws by their behavior. As i said, a friend was one, and learning of all they went through was enough to show me the jws are not worth worrying about in terms of being a legit faith of christ. And that has nothing to do with their perceived martyr complex that the wicked world hates them, it has to do with how they treat their own loved ones, and what a hateful and negative faith they are.
JWs are not a legit faith of Christ? A legit faith of Christ will not kill fellow Christians or for that matter others in carnal acts of violence They will not compromise their beliefs to appease governments even when those government turn tyrannical and persecute. They will not use the political or legal process to take away what others consider their rights simply because their lifestyles are different. A legit faith will be comprised of members who want to apply good morals 24/7 and not just on Sundays or feel good holidays. Many faiths today have members where there is no consequence for practices that hurt others. There is a difference, for example, between an adulterer who is truly sorry about what they did versus someone who knows its wrong but feels justified.

It's not about having a martyrdom complex its the fact that we live in a world that either doesn't value Christ's teachings or praise the prince of peace but are ready to make life uncomfortable for others of different beliefs. It's also a world that is increasingly at odds with religious liberty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
we have a regular poster on this forum (she hasn't been here lately, though) who was raised in the jw faith and left it. Her user name, l8gr8apost8, reflects this. Her own mother has shunned her. She belongs to a support group for people who escaped from damaging religious backgrounds and has posted extensively about it on here. She does not condemn those who are still in her former sect, as she understands the mindset that keeps them there.

The increased presence of jws on this site is due to covid. They are taught that they are biblically obligated to continually harass others into accepting their religion; hence, the tradition of walking around knocking on people's doors. With covid, they can longer do that, so they are being instructed to hit forums and message boards instead.
The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom. USCIRF is a bipartisan commission of the U.S. federal government, whose members are designated by the congressional leaders of both political parties, Democrat and Republican, and appointed by the President. The commission issued a report which found persecution of JWs to be a global phenomena. Among the findings:

"One of the reasons Jehovah’s Witnesses are persecuted is their uncompromising position on conscientious objection, based on arguments derived from the Bible. This, the report argues, is misinterpreted, either because of a lack of understanding or maliciously, as anti-patriotism or “rejection of official values.” In fact, Jehovah’s Witnesses are law-abiding citizens, ready to “serve society in a peaceful way,” if they are offered civil service alternatives that are clearly outside of the military system."

Scholars, human rights activists and journalists have come together for the purpose of understanding the root cause of intolerance of various groups including JWs. With respect to JWs the following is noted:

What the Jehovah’s Witnesses defend is the right to live differently, in this world, yet part of a kingdom “not of this world,” as Jesus says in John 18:36. Are our societies prepared to tolerate those who live in a way different from the majority’s, as long as they are peaceful, honest, and law-abiding citizens? That the answer is “no” in an increasing number of countries proves that our world is becoming a dangerous environment for religious liberty."-https://bitterwinter.org/jehovahs-witnesses-the-worlds-most-persecuted-religion/

Biblically obligated? More like teachings derived from the Bible. To know God is to know love. A God who desires everyone to have everlasting life. That's my opinion but you of course are entitled to yours.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:18 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
How do you think your efforts to plant seeds and harvest the truth about all this far as you are concerned is going? I mean with others? Sure seems to me your approach is exactly what is causing the decline in religious association in the more advanced countries where these seeds are no longer taking root like they used to. Not like they used to among those of us a little more discerning about what is truth and what is not.

i plant seeds, God waters them if he sees fit in good hearts. Good hearts have listened to Jesus, Few have done this on earth, Few even know what he actually taught. Thats the reason , FEW will find the road Jesus said.
I have attended a few different brands of trinity religions, Not one taught what Jesus actually teaches. The bible is clear--Its not lip service or singing songs to him, its obeying( John 14:15-24) him that proves ones love for him, not pick and choose-EVERY teaching he gave us, he meant every word--He said over and over to those he helped--Go sin no more--he meant it.
The big problem for most, a man with a white collar assures them they are saved so they do little to learn truth. So they cannot obey Jesus.
We are at the end of these last days, the door( to the ark *****) is about to lock for all.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-27-2021 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 12-27-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Just because folks don't believe the same way you do doesn't mean they live in darkness, or that they're condemned to "hell" after death. That is your belief, not fact.

The true God set before all-Deuteronomy 30:19 = LIFE or DEATH--both will be everlasting. Those that teach a sadist god with a place of a literal eternal suffering do not know him.
It takes believing Jesus but his truth is not taught in a single building on earth called church, Here is what he teaches---Matthew 7:13-14- Enter through the narrow gate, because broad and spacious the path that leads off into destruction, and many are the ones going through it. Where as narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and FEW are the ones finding it.

One is destroyed Jesus teaches, not given eternal life to suffer. the true God = Love, justice, wisdom, power, merciful. Not a sadist. Justice proves that fact

For 70-100 years of a sinful existence, God could not condemn that one to trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of suffering. There is 0 justice, love or mercy in that. It was symbolism.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Thats nice. I have no concern for the reasons JWs do what they do. I can tell the legitimacy of the JWs by their behavior. As I said, a friend was one, and learning of all they went through was enough to show me the JWs are not worth worrying about in terms of being a legit faith of Christ. And that has nothing to do with their perceived martyr complex that the wicked world hates them, it has to do with how they treat their own loved ones, and what a hateful and negative faith they are.

They follow Gods standards. I see you speak of disfellowshipping-- The bible is clear on that--Do not even eat a meal with one who was called brother if they were baptized and then became unrepentent.
Matt 10:24-26--Jesus teaches those of their own household would be their enemies.
1Corinthians 5:9-13 Gods will-- quit mixing in company of one called a brother( baptized) who is unrepentent.
Titus1:13--reprove with severity

those that love God and put him first do his will. Only God is granting eternal life. a family member isnt.

I have seen many cases of this. The unrepentent wrongdoer points the finger every where else but where it belongs at himself. It crushes the hearts of the whole congregation when one falls.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:02 AM

19,996 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
They follow Gods standards. I see you speak of disfellowshipping-- The bible is clear on that--Do not even eat a meal with one who was called brother if they were baptized and then became unrepentent.
Matt 10:24-26--Jesus teaches those of their own household would be their enemies.
1Corinthians 5:9-13 Gods will-- quit mixing in company of one called a brother( baptized) who is unrepentent.
Titus1:13--reprove with severity

those that love God and put him first do his will. Only God is granting eternal life. a family member isnt.

I have seen many cases of this. The unrepentent wrongdoer points the finger every where else but where it belongs at himself. It crushes the hearts of the whole congregation when one falls.
Apart from how JWs choose to interpret these verses contextually, and granting for the sake of argument that this is how god's "unconditional love" should manifest in the world, I give due credit to many Christians that they still have a functioning conscience around things like this.

Oh, by the way, there's this parable Jesus taught once about the prodigal son. You guys should read it sometime and compare yourselves to that guy's brother and his reaction.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Apart from how JWs choose to interpret these verses contextually, and granting for the sake of argument that this is how god's "unconditional love" should manifest in the world, I give due credit to many Christians that they still have a functioning conscience around things like this.

Oh, by the way, there's this parable Jesus taught once about the prodigal son. You guys should read it sometime and compare yourselves to that guy's brother and his reaction.
a functional conscience does not come from throwing Gods will away. The prodigal son repented did you see that? The unrepentent get disfellowshipped. Those verses i shared was for those who are unrepentent.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:31 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Scholars, human rights activists and journalists have come together for the purpose of understanding the root cause of intolerance of various groups including JWs. ...
That's not difficult to understand at all. It's because of their own intolerance.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:26 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohilus View Post
I get the impression that some of the more us-v-them proselytizers don't harangue others for the purpose of actually convincing them of anything as much as for the demonstration - both to their fellows and to their deity - that they're doing what they think they're supposed to do. This might seem a bit odd, for wouldn't being effective rather than going through the motions would be more of a goal? Perhaps, but they seem to operate on a if-you-don't-respond-to-my-finger-wagging-lectures-then-you-deserve-hellfire! level. Also, I think part of this is by (not necessarily conscious) design, for were they more successful then their special little clique of an in-group would become a tad less exclusive, and thereby somewhat less special.
What causes people to do what they do along these lines is not so easy to put in a bottle, but I think part of the inspiration comes from the feeling that you are "doing God's work." I can only imagine how heady a feeling that must be if you really think God is looking down on you and smiling because you are preaching what you believe God wants you to preach. All else doesn't really matter when ultimately you are convinced that doing what you are doing is putting you in God's good graces.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:33 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We have a regular poster on this forum (she hasn't been here lately, though) who was raised in the JW faith and left it. Her user name, L8gr8Apost8, reflects this. Her own mother has shunned her. She belongs to a support group for people who escaped from damaging religious backgrounds and has posted extensively about it on here. She does not condemn those who are still in her former sect, as she understands the mindset that keeps them there.

The increased presence of JWs on this site is due to COVID. They are taught that they are biblically obligated to continually harass others into accepting their religion; hence, the tradition of walking around knocking on people's doors. With COVID, they can longer do that, so they are being instructed to hit forums and message boards instead.
Here's hoping that after all this pandemic business is behind us (if that day should ever come), the JWs will continue to do their thing through social media rather than go back to the door knocking. We must not have many JWs around here, because I haven't seen one at my door in a good many years. Since moving here actually and that's been almost 10 years. There is a JW church not too far from here however. Always looks empty to me, and this too might be because of Covid, but it always looked empty to me (unused) even before Covid. Can't say I have been paying too close attention to what goes on there however. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality