Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 09:34 AM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I certainly contend that it is the quantum foam within which our BEC "bubbles" of consciousness reside. Of course, it is a bit like a Who trying to explain their micro world to Horton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
I'm very aware of quantum foam and Bose Einstein Condensates. Your contention regarding the "residence of consciousness" is utter nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If they "cannot think of" experiments it is because the proposition is itself inherently untestable. Invisible realms and beings are not available for observation except arguably via personal experience, which is not accessible to anyone but the experiencer. This means it's outside the realm of scientific inquiry. That is an acknowledged limitation of science, and why science is silent on such topics.

That is not the same thing as opening a free-for-all where outside the purview of science we blindly afford belief to all comers because now anything goes -- in my view, anyway. I personally don't trust anything with high-stakes claimed implications (one's eternal destiny, etc) unless it is backed by something of the calibre of scientific proof ... therefore, for me, it remains forever outside the realm of something I'd credit.

To put it into concrete terms, I feel pretty safe assuming something I have no proof for, such as, "my new neighbor who just moved in isn't a murderous psychopath who will kill me in my sleep first chance he gets" because that is highly unlikely and defaulting to a basic level of trust has worked very well for me and others in the past -- despite that it is a high-stakes assumption, it's also low-risk. On the other hand I feel no basis to assume that an afterlife exists and that the dogma of any specific religion should be followed to influence my fate in that afterlife ... over any other, or none at all, given that it requires me to abrogate my own self-determination to some faceless hierarchy of religious officiants in exchange for some asserted post-death benefit, and given that thousands of religious sects disagree substantively on how that is even to be done.
The untestability is driven by the level at which our senses and measurements EXIST. It precludes observing the micro (quantum) world which comprises over 95% of our Reality as anything but blurs of energy. We exist at aggregate spherical standing wave frequencies that are too low to observe anything at the quantum level as discernible wholes. Only our consciousness exists at the quantum level which is why it requires that we disconnect from our sensory system to experience any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 09:47 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Why would anyone think Heaven is in our physical world - whether that be on Earth or out in physical space among the stars? That is taking the scientific viewpoint to extremes wanting there to be nothing other than our own existence or reality.

Science already postulates other realities/dimensions. So...why not Heaven being one of them? Maybe aliens are another, and ghosts a third? It certainly seems some places like Skinwalker Ranch, Parker Ranch and other places across the world are places where the laws of physics need to be examined and understood better than we currently do.

Folks who currently believe in nothing but science for their belief system - it is said - will after death, experience a blackness or nothingness but with an awareness they are 'still conscious'. This until they start to question what is going on, and then awareness expands and other experiences can come into their awareness.

As you believe, so it is.
Why not?

How do we distinguish between reality and all we can imagine as such?

If anything goes, then all we do is dream on, and boy howdy how some people love to dream big!

Old 01-17-2022, 12:44 PM

269 posts, read 329,559 times
Quote:
Why would anyone think Heaven is in our physical world...
Because no other world has been shown to exist?
Quote:
Science already postulates other realities/dimensions.
Incorrect. Some scientists have speculated and hypothesized about additional dimensions and even additional entire universes. Such hypotheses are imagined to see where they might lead in order to possibly explain some long-standing problems in science, such as the so-called fine-tuning problem. Alan Guth imagined a sudden burst of superluminal expansion (inflation) in the very, very early Universe, which turned out to explain three very thorny problems -- the flatness problem, the horizon problem, and the monopole problem (which is really the only one he was trying to solve). No one is certain whether inflation occurred, but in providing answers to these problems, it is given a fairly high level of plausibility.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Only our consciousness exists at the quantum level...
...in your untested (and possibly untestable) "Synthesis" speculation.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of NDE accounts.
These are reasonably explained through the brain's physical response to traumatic events in Timothy Ferris's book The Mind's Sky, Human Intelligence in a Cosmic Context.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The untestability is driven by the level at which our senses and measurements EXIST. It precludes observing the micro (quantum) world which comprises over 95% of our Reality as anything but blurs of energy. We exist at aggregate spherical standing wave frequencies that are too low to observe anything at the quantum level as discernible wholes. Only our consciousness exists at the quantum level which is why it requires that we disconnect from our sensory system to experience any of it.
Quote:
...in your untested (and possibly untestable) "Synthesis" speculation.
I have never suggested otherwise. But my Synthesis is entirely consistent with legitimate scientific theories and knowledge of the spacetime field. It simplifies and analogizes this understanding from existing legitimate (if more rigorous) science, NOT wild-eyed bull feces extracted from the nether regions of human imagination.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Science has, so far NDEs appear to be cultural inventions after the event. That means they are not later remembering something, they are trying to make sense of an unusual experience based on their cultural background.
This is the basic communication problem involved with transferring direct experiences into communicable explanations for others. All we have are our language, cultural referents, and knowledge to form the descriptions and explanations.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:29 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
This is the basic communication problem involved with transferring direct experiences into communicable explanations for others. All we have are our language, cultural referents, and knowledge to form the descriptions and explanations.
I don't actually think that's the problem. Over man's time on earth, countless people have had 'experiences' that are just as valid as yours...but not the same.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't actually think that's the problem. Over man's time on earth, countless people have had 'experiences' that are just as valid as yours...but not the same.
I'm not sure I quite understand your objection. Are you suggesting that there are other means of communicating and describing direct experiences that are devoid of language, culture, and knowledge? Psychic perhaps??? I agree that other direct experiences that differ from mine exist.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
...your untested (and possibly untestable) "Synthesis" speculation.
Quote:
I have never suggested otherwise.
Thank you. That's a significant admission.
Quote:
But my Synthesis is entirely consistent with legitimate scientific theories and knowledge of the spacetime field.
But the "legitimate scientific theories" with which you claim consistency are unfinished and incomplete, so it's a trivial exercise to claim consistency therewith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality