Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2022, 11:50 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Am I understanding you correctly? Are you always arguing that critical thinking, objective reason, the pursuit of truth is pointless? We should all just watch sports instead? Or whatever our favorite past time that requires no such burning of brain cells or judgement?

Go 9rs and damn the truth of these matters because we can't all agree what it is? That it?

Am I getting this right?
You keep talking about "The truth of these matters", "pursuit of truth", "deciding who is right and who is wrong", etc, etc, etc
But this is bogus from the get-go.
Because there is no "objective truth" (even if only by near universal consensus) to be decided in about 99% of all the matters/issues one will be faced with. All there is, is opinions and preferences.
Once you get hip to THAT base "truth" you will come to greater understanding of this whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 11:59 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Nothing cannot "behave" in any way. If nothing could have the capacity for any type of behavior, then it's not nothing.
Have you read Lawrence Krause. The Universe From Nothing?

It is not hardbto read and your public library should have a copy. Mine does.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:12 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Again, how do you know?
It is irrational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

He is able to write whatever he wants. Doesn't make any of it true.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:26 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

Just as you write what you want, and that doesn't make any of it true.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:02 PM

10,031 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Would you consider a void or a vacuum to be nothing.
My understanding is that even sound can't travel through a void / vacuum.
The Bible does Not teach a Universe from Nothing but that God sent His spirit forth - Psalm 104:30.
In other words, God provided the 'power and strength' needed to create the material realm - Isaiah 40:26

Old 01-29-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It is irrational.

He provides a detsiled ecplaination of what physics describes as nothing and also how rhe Universe may have come into being.

Of course it is much easier to make claims thst something is false ir impossible than to read a book about what you claim is nonsemse.

Snj. I do not ubderstand it and refuse to read about it therefore it must be irrassionable.

Neither myself nor the author makes s clain about truth. Only religions and politicians claim to have the truth and its irratiinal that allbreligiobs are true when they do not agreewith each other.

Seeing as you expressed a desire to maintain a closed mibd obviously your posts are of uninformed opinion and nothing more

Old 01-29-2022, 11:49 PM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
It is irrational.
Yes, the world outside of what we know (such as the quantum world, or Einstein's theory of relativity) often appears irrational to us. That does not mean they are false.

And my argument is rational. If there is absolutely nothing, then that logically means there are NO rules to say how absolutely nothing must behave.

Quote:
This is also true of your posts.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:16 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Most people who are convinced their "facts" are actually facts use what they consider credible sources that corroborate them. What then is to be done when the credible sources conflict? False is false and true is true, the problem is our fallibility in ascertaining which is which. Ad Populm is roundly dismissed as a fallacy.

Everyone who is convinced they are correct is of the opinion that their sources of corroboration are true, not false, and the contrary ones have been roundly debunked. They are usually certain of it and believe it should be obvious to anyone. What to do? What to do?
I'd say the problem is the fallibility on the part of some far more than others. Take a simple example, and you tell me. An example often used in this forum...

Those who are convinced the earth is round versus those who are convinced the earth is flat. Why should the more intelligent among us not recognize what evidence is based on fact and what evidence is not? While I understand there are always those who will believe anything, I'm always a little mystified by all the comments posted in this forum that seem to suggest judgement along these lines can't be properly made. As if we all don't know there are those who will believe just about anything without proper justification while there are others that are a bit more discerning about what is the truth of these matters and what is something else entirely.

Again I'm always a bit suspect of those who argue these challenges regarding facts vs what is not to be angling for that "wiggle room" to argue, hold opinion and beliefs that simply "don't hold water." That's the problem when it comes to justifying their opinions and beliefs. Their problem but also everyone's problem when unjustified beliefs unduly and harmfully impose on others who don't hold the same unjustifed beliefs.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:37 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Interesting to read some of these comments and consider how the opinion and/or belief is established. The logic and reason. Justification. Obviously horribly flawed according to some. The perfect proof according to others.

I think most people are pretty well versed on the basics regarding creationist theory. All too much about that theory that is very difficult to take seriously far as I am concerned. Much in fact that even creationists tend to avoid or dismiss for obvious reasons that modern day science has helped us to better understand (dubunk).

Interesting and important to note, however, that those who seem wanting to argue creationism anyway don't seem to know much about the alternative theories. There is clearly a "firewall" of logic and reason when it comes to how creationists consider alternative theories.

Then again, it's not really easy for anyone to grasp what infinity really means. Or something with no beginning or end. Come up against the question(s) like what was there before then? And then before that? On and on, and rather than realize what seems "impossible" for many, what do we do?

Well the answer is god of course! Just like we've been doing to fill our gaps of knowledge ever since we decided our gaps of knowledge NEED to be filled with something. Can't just admit we don't know.

Godda be God...

Old 01-30-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Would you consider a void or a vacuum to be nothing.
My understanding is that even sound can't travel through a void / vacuum.
The Bible does Not teach a Universe from Nothing but that God sent His spirit forth - Psalm 104:30.
In other words, God provided the 'power and strength' needed to create the material realm - Isaiah 40:26
I am not a physist, best to ask physics questions to one.

Nor do i care what the Bible states it is not the only Holy Book nor the only religion, nor is rhe Big Bang or Creationism the only possibilities.

Nor does your statement explain a single thing about how the Universe came into being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality