Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 11:25 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is also a deliberate misrepresentation of the political abuse of these people, as I have explained to Goldie before. One must ask what sort of a sick and miserable person does that for fun, to try and harass atheists for doing exactly the same thing religious people do?
Even when I was 10 I could only watch Lucy stomping grapes so many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 11:48 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Have you seen "Being the Recardos" yet? Pretty good I'd say. Warning, however. That scene is featured in the movie as well...

Old 01-25-2022, 11:51 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We might also remember to keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with what some people might consider an "extreme position" as long as the position is a right position. Often times the position against wrong-doing is considered extreme by those doing the wrong-doing. It's not a matter of extreme or moderate. It's a matter of right versus wrong. Indeed we should be extreme when promoting right over wrong, but of course we need to make sure we're right about being right. That's why the topic of this thread is a very important one all considered.
But you still do not acknowledge that the "wrong-doing" you note is many (most) times subjective. Almost impossible to objectively determine if one is "right about being right".
What if one group thinks something is terrible wrong-doing that another group thinks is acceptable, even rightfully done?
How "extreme" a position should those that have made the determination of "wrong-doing" take against those doing it? What if they have determined to their full satisfaction that they are "right about being right"...is it then okay to act in a extreme way to stop the wrong-doing?
You keep talking about this fictional "right vs wrong" that it's a matter of.
What if the Religious point to the most epic and prolific books written in the history of humankind and validly claim that the vast majority of the people in this world have determined that they are the objective metric that should be used to determine "Right vs Wrong" and "wrong-doing"...and they will take an extreme position against "wrong-doers"?
You'd be cool with that, right?

Old 01-25-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Have you seen "Being the Recardos" yet? Pretty good I'd say. Warning, however. That scene is featured in the movie as well...
Yes, LOL. As it was in another film a couple of years ago. At least we're on the topic of religion...stomping grapes for wine to be used during mass.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Says the guy that does his "grape stomping" 5x as much.
Y'all are a hoot!
You are so lost in your bias and obsessive compulsions, you no longer even know you're lost.
How about I do it as much as you? Would you be cool with that?

Old 01-25-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
But you still do not acknowledge that the "wrong-doing" you note is many (most) times subjective. Almost impossible to objectively determine if one is "right about being right".
What if one group thinks something is terrible wrong-doing that another group thinks is acceptable, even rightfully done?
How "extreme" a position should those that have made the determination of "wrong-doing" take against those doing it? What if they have determined to their full satisfaction that they are "right about being right"...is it then okay to act in a extreme way to stop the wrong-doing?
You keep talking about this fictional "right vs wrong" that it's a matter of.
What if the Religious point to the most epic and prolific books written in the history of humankind and validly claim that the vast majority of the people in this world have determined that they are the objective metric that should be used to determine "Right vs Wrong" and "wrong-doing"...and they will take an extreme position against "wrong-doers"?
You'd be cool with that, right?
Gldn, for the love of mercy. Here is my last throw before I go today...

I've never suggested the process I'm going on about here doesn't involve the need to address subjectivity. In fact, dealing with subjectivity is where and how we're mostly called upon to judge right from wrong! Even clear objective truths are debated by some, as if subjective. No real difference. Right?

Rather than address all your questions one-by-one and in detail, I will simply reiterate that in each case we are called upon to judge. In large part this requires we "triangulate for the truth." Separate truth from what is not. Best we can we then judge, and though we won't all agree, I am simply arguing for the effort to pursue the truth and right over wrong. In each and every case there may be different points of view.

It's important to get it right, and we don't do so by quickly buckling under the weight of all the challenges and obstacles that we all face trying to get there! What is so very hard to accept about this? I really don't know except again that one theory I've already mentioned.

Best for now until perhaps again tomorrow. Cheers to you too.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Says the guy that does his "grape stomping" 5x as much.
Y'all are a hoot!
You are so lost in your bias and obsessive compulsions, you no longer even know you're lost.
How about I do it as much as you? Would you be cool with that?
You do realize, don't you, that many of our comment counts would be greatly reduced if it were not for all of yours. Right? If anyone's comment count is an issue for anyone other than you, let's at least recognize your significant contributions along these lines as well. Your ongoing "inspiration" for the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong, however. I'm not complaining about anyone's comment count like you always like to do...

Old 01-25-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You do realize, don't you, that many of our comment counts would be greatly reduced if it were not for all of yours. Right? If anyone's comment count is an issue for anyone other than you, let's at least recognize your significant contributions along these lines as well. Your ongoing "inspiration" for the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong, however. I'm not complaining about anyone's comment count like you always like to do...
It's a means of stirring the pot for his entertainment (which he has admitted).

Old 01-25-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:

It's the other way around. And there is PROOF. And that's the TRUTH.
I've never even initiated a thread in the over decade of time I've been here.
I respond to others' posts...and based upon the FACTS and TRUTH revealed by the stats...much less than are there to respond to.
Like you said...let's separate truth from lies.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:19 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Or eating chocolates at the factory.

I did not love Lucy.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-25-2022 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality