Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2022, 01:58 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It sounds like who a person is has nothing to do with what they think, what they belief or how they behave or treat others. I am confused on what is left for that person to be who they really are. I will not ask what you mean by who a person is as you normally do not answer or explain yourself. Perhaps that is what you mean by who a person is do they answer questiins or not.
what is left is you.
the you that is doing, the you that is experiencing. the you that has or loses this or that, the you that chooses this or that, the you that thinks or dreams or believes this or that.

that you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 02:01 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what is left is you.
the you that is doing, the you that is experiencing. the you that has or loses this or that, the you that chooses this or that, the you that thinks or dreams or believes this or that.

that you.
And my education, life experiences, family and pets do not affect any of these? Because your claim is not sgrreing with your explaination ofvwho is?

Old 03-20-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
https://www.psychmechanics.com/how-our-past-experiences-shape-our/https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/10/18/are-our-personalities-determined-by-genetics-or-do-our-experiences-shape-us/[/url]url]https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev.psych.51.1.1

It seems that others agree with me that parents and experiences affect our personalities which I always thought of being part if who we are. Personality beliefs and behaviours are what I will be using for who we are until someone can correct me with reason and rational arguement.
i have worked in healthcare and medical centers for over 20 years. One of my favorite posters (the walls are lined with posters in the large medical center and dozens of buildings on the campus) is the one that shows an array of regular people, different ages, looking at you directly, and the poster says, "I AM NOT MY DIAGNOSIS." it still brings tears to my eyes.

so no, a behavior is not who a person is.
a diagnosis is not who a person is.
a personality is not who a person is.
beliefs are not who a person is.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
And my education, life experiences, family and pets do not affect any of these? Because your claim is not sgrreing with your explaination ofvwho is?
they are not who you are. you were you before any of them appeared in your life, and you will still be you when all of them vanish. they are experiences you are having. you are still you even if you have different experiences.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:42 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
they are not who you are. you were you before any of them appeared in your life, and you will still be you when all of them vanish. they are experiences you are having. you are still you even if you have different experiences.
Whatever you say cause U do not understand you and oribably never will, forunately

Old 03-20-2022, 04:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
True. We are the sum of everything that we have experienced.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed. It has not really changed my position but it has compelled me to add more details to my statement.

My statement was made in the context of what I thought Learme and I were discussing which was drawing conclusions or A + B = C. C is the sum, or the conclusion, or position, or opinion, or belief, etc... What is A + B? The things we experience. From what I gather from his concrete theory, C stays constant after some point because it has been applied and has brought some sort of satisfaction. I appreciate the attempt to elucidate me that I am not my behavior or the things that happened to me, but that is not what I was thinking about when I wrote that.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:35 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
i have worked in healthcare and medical centers for over 20 years. One of my favorite posters (the walls are lined with posters in the large medical center and dozens of buildings on the campus) is the one that shows an array of regular people, different ages, looking at you directly, and the poster says, "I AM NOT MY DIAGNOSIS." it still brings tears to my eyes.

so no, a behavior is not who a person is.
a diagnosis is not who a person is.
a personality is not who a person is.
beliefs are not who a person is.
Indeed, that is a powerful message.
The essence of person is what still remains when their body has succumbed to the disease.
We recognize that even when it is not possible to point to a material fact that proves it.
When i saw my mom in a hospital bed overseas, after more than a year interval, she had shrunk to the size of a child. Unrecognizable. But when she smiled up at me in joy upon seeing me, that was my mom, i saw all of her.
She died a few weeks later.
If a person is the sum of his experiences, do we see the experience as a material fact? No. What we recognize is his personhood. We recognize what remains.
This line of thought is distant from the OP’s argument about recognizing who is telling the truth, as if we can divide people into truth tellers and liars. Truth is not that easy.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:44 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
post 624 put forth the view that "we are the sum of everything that we have experienced" :

and i said no. i am still me regardless of what i experience. regardless of the choices i make. regardless of the experiences or illness or good fortune or relationships that i have.

those are things i do or have or experience. but they are not me.

i am not the sum of anything. they are not me nor do they add up to me. they are not the me that does them or has them or experiences them. i am still me regardless of what i do or have or experience.
Tzap, you still haven't answered the question.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thank you to everyone who has contributed. It has not really changed my position but it has compelled me to add more details to my statement. My statement was made in the context of what I thought Learme and I were discussing which was drawing conclusions or A + B = C. C is the sum, or the conclusion, or position, or opinion, or belief, etc... What is A + B? The things we experience. From what I gather from his concrete theory, C stays constant after some point because it has been applied and has brought some sort of satisfaction. I appreciate the attempt to elucidate me that I am not my behavior or the things that happened to me, but that is not what I was thinking about when I wrote that.
his cement theory is that "pretty much everyone doesn't change their core beliefs after their 20s."
i'd say three things:
(a) it is wildly inaccurate to say "pretty much all of us" do that.
(b) i believe it is true for him (the author) or else he would not have come up with the odd notion in the first place, his words here: cement, intractable.
(c) that it shows a remarkable stagnation if someone hasn't changed their core beliefs since their 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
...My Cement Theory applies to pretty much all of us after we get through our "formative years." I loosely say that's once we get through our twenties. ... What I've been describing is the confirmation bias that "cements" our thinking, opinions and beliefs to the point of intractable as we get older. Our core beliefs that we "cement" once we get past our twenties.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-20-2022 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-20-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Indeed, that is a powerful message.
The essence of person is what still remains when their body has succumbed to the disease.
We recognize that even when it is not possible to point to a material fact that proves it.
When i saw my mom in a hospital bed overseas, after more than a year interval, she had shrunk to the size of a child. Unrecognizable. But when she smiled up at me in joy upon seeing me, that was my mom, i saw all of her.
She died a few weeks later.
If a person is the sum of his experiences, do we see the experience as a material fact? No. What we recognize is his personhood. We recognize what remains.
This line of thought is distant from the OP’s argument about recognizing who is telling the truth, as if we can divide people into truth tellers and liars. Truth is not that easy.
that is lovely. yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality