Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 09:52 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You all would do well to listen to cb...you just might learn something worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 10:11 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There are as many perceptions of divinity as there are minds. In absolute term Advaita IS nothing but the pinnacle of logic and reasoning.
I get an ongoing kick at how theists describe atheists and vice versa...

Isn't this just like human nature? Not giving credit where due to other ways of thinking and why not make other ways of thinking seem well below "the pinnacle of logic and reason" while we're at it?

Who really knows the ultimate truth about such things? What is sound logic and reason? What is not?

Depends on who you ask of course!

For all variety of reasons not necessarily having anything to do with logic or reason. Seems we should all at least be able to recognize this simple fact about ourselves. If not, file under "Concept of Ignorance."

Old 01-18-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

Did you really think that is what is being said? Even I understand the point made in my third language. Where is the shake head emoji when one needs it?
Clearly it is either misunderstanding or the ongoing inclination/intention to misrepresent the comments and opinions of others when real understanding, logic and reason doesn't suit one's point of view.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have read all her posts since she came onto this subforum.
When I see evidence that her belief system has beneficial societal outcomes, I'll take her more seriously. Right now my impression of Advaita is based on the quality of her posts. That has led to my negative viewpoint at this time.
I've been watching a bit of football lately. Getting into the playoffs and all...

Ever notice how the cheerleaders only cheer for their team and never the other? Even the cheerleaders know what they're doing along these lines, but some cheerleaders in this forum seem oblivious.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:26 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've been watching a bit of football lately. Getting into the playoffs and all...

Ever notice how the cheerleaders only cheer for their team and never the other? Even the cheerleaders know what they're doing along these lines, but some cheerleaders in this forum seem oblivious.
Oblique.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:31 PM

884 posts, read 357,042 times
In the tentative hope of a productive discussion, let me try something.

Over in the philosophy forum, the OP of this thread liked a post saying that, I quote: "Probabilities are never at 100% or 0%."

Is the OP willing to apply that to Advaita, and accept the probability that Advaita is the Truth is not 100%? I will happily accept it is not 0% either.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:

That isn't what I notice about the cheerleaders...not mostly.
I doubt very few could recite one of their cheers...even after years of watching them.
The TRUTH of the matter, is...they are hired by a team to cheer them on...not some other team. I thought that was a given, and obvious.
I don't see them as very similar in nature to the members and the interaction here.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:52 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post

Over in the philosophy forum, the OP of this thread liked a post saying that, I quote: "Probabilities are never at 100% or 0%."

Is the OP willing to apply that to Advaita, and accept the probability that Advaita is the Truth is not 100%? I will happily accept it is not 0% either.
I'll second that!

Old 01-19-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post

I think there might be a problem with the premise right from the start...

Probability is simply how likely something is to happen. So for all you fellow craps players, for example, there are different probabilities that any combination of dice will be thrown. Between 100% or 0%. Correct. However, the probability the dice will reveal one of the combinations from "snake eyes" to "midnight" or "box cars" is 100%. So not true probability cannot be 100% or 0% too.

I could go on with other examples, but I think trying to apply a probability to a belief related to Advaita is something like trying to apply logic and reason to song and dance.

Good luck with that...

Old 01-19-2022, 09:13 AM

884 posts, read 357,042 times
Quote:
I think there might be a problem with the premise right from the start...

Probability is simply how likely something is to happen. So for all you fellow craps players, for example, there are different probabilities that any combination of dice will be thrown. Between 100% or 0%. Correct. However, the probability the dice will reveal one of the combinations from "snake eyes" to "midnight" or "box cars" is 100%. So not true probability cannot be 100% or 0% too.

I could go on with other examples, but I think trying to apply a probability to a belief related to Advaita is something like trying to apply logic and reason to song and dance.

Good luck with that...
The context of the "Probabilities are never at 100% or 0%" line, not by me, was in applying probability to epistemology. And in that context I think it is a valid a line of thinking. Probabilities can obviously be 100%, but the probability that the results of your investigation into the workings of the world, is actually the workings of the world, it pretty much never 100%. There is always a probability that the equipment you use/your senses/perceptions are inaccurate.

Advaita is one take on reality, compared to numerous others. So there is a probability that Advaita's version of reality is actually the correct version of reality.

The 100% probability is that one of all the possible versions of reality is the correct version of reality. That would be 100%. That is the trivial solution.

The OP clearly believes Advaita's take on reality is correct, and other takes (like reality is not the oneness, or mind body duality) are wrong. So what is the chance they are correct on this, and what is the chance they are wrong?

I'm not asking for a set of probability calculations, just checking whether the OP understands they can't know with 100% certainty that Advaita's take on reality is the actual version of reality.

Last edited by Peter600; 01-19-2022 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality