Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 12:10 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The fact that all of those things are ALLOWED in a country that is majority Christian, or has historically been majority Christian says more than you suggesting that these things are representative of the whole.

Seriously. This is not the government doing it. It's a few bad people doing it. Our government allows those groups to exist that are being attacked. Now go and try to be an opposition group in a country that is controlled by another religion. Tell me how it works out.
You are disagreeing by admitting it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 12:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
The fact that all of those things are ALLOWED in a country that is majority Christian, or has historically been majority Christian says more than you suggesting that these things are representative of the whole.

Seriously. This is not the government doing it. It's a few bad people doing it. Our government allows those groups to exist that are being attacked. Now go and try to be an opposition group in a country that is controlled by another religion. Tell me how it works out.
So you only wish to discuss countries not people. How free are people in Uganda? How free were non whites in South Africa until very recently.

How is freedoms ib Belerus? How free were people in Pinochet Chile or Argentina in the past.

Your point i think is Christia are not overly sensitive because they allow felliw Christains to verbally or kegallt attack non Christains?

I do agree with you that in Christain majority countries Christains are alliwed tp spread hate towards non Christains. Is that even something to be proud of?

Old 01-19-2022, 12:16 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So you only wish to discuss countries not people. How free are people in Uganda? How free were non whites in South Africa until very recently.

How is freedoms ib Belerus? How free were people in Pinochet Chile or Argentina in the past.

Your point i think is Christia are not overly sensitive because they allow felliw Christains to verbally or kegallt attack non Christains?

I do agree with you that in Christain majority countries Christains are alliwed tp spread hate towards non Christains. Is that even something to be proud of?
I'm just saying that in a country of 330 million people, yes, there are some bad people. And some bad people will do bad things. And we all condemn that when it happens.

But our nation, founded by Christians and historically identifying as Christian for a couple of centuries, allows for freedom to worship as one pleases. I'm sorry if my post was a bit unclear. What I meant was that one is allowed to be of a different religion than the predominant Christianity. That sort of freedom is not allowed in other countries.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:28 PM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
I'm just saying that in a country of 330 million people, yes, there are some bad people. And some bad people will do bad things. And we all condemn that when it happens.

But our nation, founded by Christians and historically identifying as Christian for a couple of centuries, allows for freedom to worship as one pleases. I'm sorry if my post was a bit unclear. What I meant was that one is allowed to be of a different religion than the predominant Christianity. That sort of freedom is not allowed in other countries.
1. It's so nice of you to "allow" the rest of us to worship (or not) as we please.
2. That sort of freedom is allowed in many countries. I've spent a great time in Thailand, and visited many places of worship other than the dominant Buddhist religion. I've traveled in Malaysia, and while the dominant religion is Islam, people worship Indian religions, christianity, and various Chinese religions. Similar in Singapore. It isn't just if it's "allowed".

Old 01-19-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Until very recently Christainity was allowed in Iraq. Until the end of WWII Jews were treated better in Iran than in Europe and North America. How about the treatment of Native Amrricans practicing their own religions yntil very recently.I

It is apparent that those living in Muslim majority countries have less rights and freedoms than those living in Christain majority countries. That is if you only looknat the time period from the 1970s to today. Does that really decribe the basic difference between the freedoms of different religions or the state of many factors in those countries?

Old 01-19-2022, 02:27 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. It's so nice of you to "allow" the rest of us to worship (or not) as we please.
2. That sort of freedom is allowed in many countries. I've spent a great time in Thailand, and visited many places of worship other than the dominant Buddhist religion. I've traveled in Malaysia, and while the dominant religion is Islam, people worship Indian religions, christianity, and various Chinese religions. Similar in Singapore. It isn't just if it's "allowed".
Not allowed to rep you again, so here.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:46 PM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Not allowed to rep you again, so here.
Thank you!

Old 01-19-2022, 03:02 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
All those who are providing extreme examples from non Christians to disprove the OP should then looknat the most extreme examp les from Christains within their own cou ntry then

1 Christians marching dowb th e street chanting "Jews will not replace us"

Christaibs opposi ng the use of Yoga to dea l with problems in a school because it is from the devil

3 Christian s staring that Muslims should not ne in the Hoyse of Representativex

4 or that M uslims are not Americans nor are those who are from Asia.

5 Christians walking out from the p rayer opening of a meeting because it was delivered by a non Christian

6 Christian preacher burning a copy of t he Quranh

7 Christian stating on his radio shos that atheists are parasites and do no good for their country.

Now most peolle will agree that these ars extreme views by a small humber of Christians but is that not the same as what happened by Muslim extremists.

Forgot to add rhe Ann Colter, a Christian wanted your army to convert the Iraqis to Christainity. And yet the Deputy PM ofIraq at thevtinevwas Christian.

And some ofvthe same posters who defended Christians in this thread have also attacked atheists posters for the words or actionz of some atheists.

I could of as easily listed examples of those of other religions, ethnic groups or of atheists doing extremists things to. But i listed only Christians doing that as a response to posters like MysticPHd and BaptistFundie who used Muslim extremists to show that Christians are not the most sensitive.
None of the examples were remotely similar in extremity or violence to those perpetrated by Muslim extremists.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:31 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
I know who the most sensitive group is, but I'm not going to say it here because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings

Old 01-19-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
None of the examples were remotely similar in extremity or violence to those perpetrated by Muslim extremists.
Violence during the Irish Troubles extreme enough?

The massacre of natives who followed The Ghost Dance?

The massacres committed by the Generals in Argentina, Chile under Pinochet, those in Central America or by The Lords Army in Africa?

Just how many thousands need to die by Christians before ir counts as bad as hundreds by Muslims?

And you bring up the horrible deeds by the Taliban however remember they were strongly supported by your country in rhe 80s same as the terror done by the Shah.

My main point is you bring up what is done by extremists on one sidw but not the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality