Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 06:02 AM

150 posts, read 152,943 times

Advertisements

I’m a Muslimah and just in case you guys don’t know, Islam is strictly a monotheistic religion. We believe in the same God as the Jewish people. The Bible, Torah and Quran all talk about the oness of God. So why do Christians claim that prophet Jesus (pbuh) is God? God has warned us that devil will try to trick us by cleverly trying to misguide us by oness of God. Can anyone please show me which passage in the Bible says that prophet Jesus (pbuh) claims that he is God???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 07:29 AM

5,528 posts, read 3,219,270 times
Unless a holy book is very descriptive, with no ambiguity, and can somehow anticipate future moral questions, there will be a need to interpret it. Each scripture interpreter becomes a little mini-god to their flock, defining what is right and wrong, true and false with some leeway where the scriptures are ambiguous or silent.

I see this as a bigger knock on claims of monotheism than criticism of the trinity. And it's not limited to Christianity. Every religion which relies on revelation has this flaw, where the revelation must be interpreted and different interpreters arrive at different conclusions. This muddies the message and weakens claims of one source of truth.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:40 AM

18,891 posts, read 27,361,884 times
In several places, bible refers to multiple gods. Same old testament, used in Islam or Judaism.

Otherwise, OP, read up on when the concept of Trinity was developed. It was late add on to the original teaching.

Btw, Jews do not believe, god is many.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:50 AM

13,517 posts, read 7,785,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
I’m a Muslimah and just in case you guys don’t know, Islam is strictly a monotheistic religion. We believe in the same God as the Jewish people. The Bible, Torah and Quran all talk about the oness of God. So why do Christians claim that prophet Jesus (pbuh) is God? God has warned us that devil will try to trick us by cleverly trying to misguide us by oness of God. Can anyone please show me which passage in the Bible says that prophet Jesus (pbuh) claims that he is God???
This is a fair question. To me, the passage where Jesus most explicitly claims to be God comes from the Gospel of John, chapter 8, verses 48-59.

In order to understand the references Jesus makes here, you have to put yourself in the shoes of His Jewish audience who were intimately familiar with the story of Moses and the burning bush from the Old Testament (Exodus chapter 3).

In the passage in Exodus, Moses comes across a bush that is on fire, but is not being burned up. Then a voice calls out to Moses from the burning bush. The voice claims to be the God of Abraham and proceeds to tell Moses to return to Egypt to rescue the Hebrews from Egyptian slavery. Moses asks how he can convince the Hebrews that he has truly been sent by God, and God responds: "Say this to the people of Israel: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Here's the passage from the Gospel of John. And note at the end, they wanted to stone Jesus for blasphemy. The Jews obviously understood that Jesus was making a claim of divinity, or else why would they want to stone him?

The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:33 AM

18,894 posts, read 6,906,717 times
Quote:
We are monotheistic because we only believe in one God. It's really that simple. There is only one God.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:55 AM

3,197 posts, read 1,581,826 times
Quote:
You have to first understand the doctrine you are arguing against, not just the straw man argument presented by Islam.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:20 AM

1,446 posts, read 468,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.
To understand you must start from God's first spoken word, first light and that is where the firstborn and heir of all God's creation is revealed. In the first part of what Jesus Christ says it is in perfect alignment with following the instruction God gave the man and woman in the Garden of Eden.

And then when they continue to accuse him citing Abraham and the Prophets, he speaks of Abraham who kept God's word and the gift of seeing past death was imparted to him and Isaac on that mountain, and the Prophets also gave testimony to that, as you can also see in Enoch and Elijah.

And at the Passover the gift of seeing past Death was imparted to all the Israelites that followed God's instruction given through Moses, the covenant of the firstborn. Just as God showed Abraham and Isaac on that mountain, when God swore by himself to fulfill all that he had promised Abraham.

When Jesus Christ says; before Abraham was, I am. He is not someone who comes along lately, just as the seed of the woman who crushes the serpents head is not someone who comes along lately. And scripture makes it clear from the beginning and in many places that it is God who reveals the firstborn. Which is why he said, your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. Just as God shared the beginning of sight with Abraham when God showed him the land and all the life therein (as the sand on the shore and the stars in the sky) in every direction as far as the eye could see. That isn't some passing moment, as it is in relation with the beginning of sight God shared in His first spoken word, first light. And Abraham did rejoice in seeing that day and the Life that is revealed and brought forth from that point forward on earth.

Jesus Christ wasn't claiming to be God, as he referenced God as Father and following His word in loyalty, as he said; If I glorify myself my glory is nothing. It is the satan/serpent who taught self-glorification and the thought of being your own god and being answerable to no one and all in a self-serving manner.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:15 AM

16,616 posts, read 4,901,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
You have to first understand the doctrine you are arguing against, not just the straw man argument presented by Islam.
A difficult position considering Christians have been fighting over this for almost 2000 years.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:57 AM

18,894 posts, read 6,906,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
A difficult position considering Christians have been fighting over this for almost 2000 years.
No. We really aren't. It's been settled for 2000 years. It was taught by the apostles.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:08 PM

16,616 posts, read 4,901,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. We really aren't. It's been settled for 2000 years. It was taught by the apostles.
Yes, ever since Tertullian (remember him and John 20?) made the first clear reference to a trinity almost the same as yours. You have been arguing over it since then, from Origen, through Arian, even Eusebius had to tread carefully.

There is nothing except a later interpolation in to Matthew that is clearly trinitarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality