Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 08:43 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Marriage was actually created as 1 man, 1 woman, and it existed that way in this nation for 200+ years until it was changed.
It was "created" by the USA (USA! USA!) and so the USA can evolve or change it as they please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 08:50 PM

Regarding the question of the Pope's views on the topic at hand ... someone pointed out that the Pope is beholden to Catholic tradition and is quite limited in what he can do to change Catholic practice. The Church is already committed to the infallibility of tradition, including the pronouncements of past Popes.

This particular Pope is more empathetic and compassionate than average and occasionally goes out of his way to say seemingly sensible things that I assume give rand-and-file priests and sympathetic bishops some cover to lean a bit differently and maybe overlook some things but it's like how Biden told his donors that if he was elected, "nothing will fundamantally change". In both cases, nothing has. So ... in my view this whole conversation, while interesting, is a bit of a tempest in a teapot, because nothing Frank The Pope says is going to really allow for a gay person to have a non-toxic experience in that environment.

Their loss.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes fundamentalists always claim marriage is about sex and procreation which it actually originated as an economic arrangement to regulate the inheritance of property and land. It also was fundamentally a secular institution. The secular authorities issue marriage licenses, and authorize the clergy (among others, including secular officials) to officiate at weddings.

Marriage is not a religious institution, it is secular and religion is involved only at the pleasure of the state. If you don't believe me, imagine what would happen if a member of the clergy pronounced someone man and wife without a marriage license issued by the state. It would be both ineffective and illegal.
Because misr weddings they have been to took place in a church they believe it is a religious tradition. Because most humans live in a two adult assiciation they believe i stems from the words in their Bible.I

Two many have no interest in learning anything that does not agee with their beliefs and assumptions they continue believing it is based on their religion, or culture or country.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:15 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Because misr weddings they have been to took place in a church they believe it is a religious tradition. Because most humans live in a two adult assiciation they believe i stems from the words in their Bible.I

Two many have no interest in learning anything that does not agee with their beliefs and assumptions they continue believing it is based on their religion, or culture or country.
Why shouldn't that be what they believe? Especially if that's what matters to them?
Most realize that for most of human history there was no "City/Town Hall" to go get a "marriage license" from...and thus it doesn't "stem from" a Government sanction either.
Obviously, the Christians are going to believe that it is an arrangement that is something from God. In the Book...God takes a part of Adam and makes Eve from it as a wife for him. And there was nobody but them at the time.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Why shouldn't that be what they believe? Especially if that's what matters to them?
Most realize that for most of human history there was no "City/Town Hall" to go get a "marriage license" from...and thus it doesn't "stem from" a Government sanction either.
Obviously, the Christians are going to believe that it is an arrangement that is something from God. In the Book...God takes a part of Adam and makes Eve from it as a wife for him. And there was nobody but them at the time.
Christians should believe that marriage is a Christian origin andvruns by Christian rules? And they should believe that other cultures and religions did not have marriages before they encountered Christains.

Should they not rather know the truth and history of things like marriage, slavery respect for parents and other things in our life?I

In as not the least referring to God orvany Holy books. And you missed the part where it was mentioned that marriages were not originally part of religion but business. Why do you promote the concept of falsehood and lies?

Old 01-29-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Christians should believe that marriage is a Christian origin andvruns by Christian rules? And they should believe that other cultures and religions did not have marriages before they encountered Christains.

Should they not rather know the truth and history of things like marriage, slavery respect for parents and other things in our life?I

In as not the least referring to God orvany Holy books. And you missed the part where it was mentioned that marriages were not originally part of religion but business. Why do you promote the concept of falsehood and lies?
That you talk spew about, "you promote the concept of falsehood and lies"...is not cool.
I noted what the Bible said about marriage...and why Christians would think what they do about it because of that.
How is that a falsehood or a lie?
It does say that God created the 1st two people to ever exist, and put them together as Husband & Wife...does it not?
The Bible is the most epic and prolific book in human history...is it not?
So, of course the Christians use that as the basis by which they assess marriage, and what it should and shouldn't entail.
I realize that the prolific power and influence of Theism, Christianity, The Bible, etc, bothers you.
But I have a idea...maybe if you ask nice...they will pray for your ability to come to terms with that and accept it.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:17 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

Very good point. I've spent time in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and few other places. People got married in those places...and not in christian churches. Even in this country there is no law that says your marriage has to be blessed by a church. You can go right to city hall and get married, no church involved.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Very good point. I've spent time in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and few other places. People got married in those places...and not in christian churches. Even in this country there is no law that says your marriage has to be blessed by a church. You can go right to city hall and get married, no church involved.
What does that have to do with the FACT that hundreds of millions believe The Bible instructs them as to how marriage should and shouldn't be? And also about sexual conduct.
You note "The Law". "The Law" changes from place to place, time to time, and with situations and circumstances.
One can use "The Law"...that's as good a basis as any...but no better or worse than Theological edicts to base a view off of.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems like the Pope is doing the Catholic version of "love the sinner, hate the sin". Don't persecute gays, but don't allow them the freedom to live their lives, either. Ironically, not letting them BE gay IS persecuting them.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:31 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It seems like the Pope is doing the Catholic version of "love the sinner, hate the sin". Don't persecute gays, but don't allow them the freedom to live their lives, either. Ironically, not letting them BE gay IS persecuting them.
I was watching an entertainment program last night and at one point a character chastised another character for listening to a man (the pope) who is supposed to remain celibate tell him (or was it her) about how to lead a successful marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality