Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 03:52 PM

663 posts, read 306,164 times

Advertisements

Really, The JWS are a fraction of Christianity STILL of those claiming Jesus (Yeshua) as the Christ (anointed of God).

The Great Converting of the rest is over. Even predictions stopped. They failed basically and in loosing people as much of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 04:19 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I believe the " prosperity gospel" is a cancer in the body of Christ.

To presume that material wealth is a blessing is nonsensical on its face.
I don't disagree, but I can't help but be put in mind of what Tevye said in Fiddler on the Roof: "It's not a shame to be poor, but it's not a great honor, either."

Old 03-10-2022, 04:37 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
The original post looks like a veiled advertisement for the JWs.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The original post looks like a veiled advertisement for the JWs.
If it is, it's a pretty lame ad. Besides, JWs, for all their many faults, don't lionize wealth, which they see as worldly and probably a snare.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:02 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I can't get onboard with any religion that teaches its adherents to shun non-believers.

My wife was raised a Witness - her mother, if she was completely observant, would not speak to or interact with her. Thankfully, her mom and step-dad are not that observant. However, they risk being "disfellowshipped" themselves if someone from the congregation knew they were still associating with my wife even after she left the church.

No bueno.

Its Gods law--- If one is called a brother( baptized) and they become unrepentent. The bible says--do not even eat a meal with suchlike ones. It teaches to reprove with severity. The only opinion that counts is Gods opinion on his matters. 1Corinthians 5:9-13-- titus 1:13
The elders hate having to disfellowship one. It breaks many hearts. But its the unrepentent ones choice, its their fault alone, yet they point the finger every where else. Its actually for their own good. If they love their family they would repent. The selfish do not repent and blame everyone else.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't disagree, but I can't help but be put in mind of what Tevye said in Fiddler on the Roof: "It's not a shame to be poor, but it's not a great honor, either."

Wisdom has much greater value than material things. Prov 2:7, 4:7-- The bible teaches the days are coming they will throw their silver and gold into the streets. Ezekial 7:19

Old 03-10-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Wisdom has much greater value than material things.
On this, we can agree. Although one needs enough "material" (food, water, clothing, shelter) to be able to develop wisdom. The Bible does not teach that money is the root of all evil, but rather, the love of money.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
On this, we can agree. Although one needs enough "material" (food, water, clothing, shelter) to be able to develop wisdom. The Bible does not teach that money is the root of all evil, but rather, the love of money.

It also serves as a protection the bible teaches. But it meant a little not alot of money. Jesus promised his Father would provide-sustenance, covering, spirituality if one put the kingdom First and sought his(Jehovah) righteousness first as well in their lives-Matt 6:33-Matt 6-- a promise every JW knows is truth.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:28 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Its Gods law--- If one is called a brother( baptized) and they become unrepentent. The bible says--do not even eat a meal with suchlike ones. It teaches to reprove with severity. The only opinion that counts is Gods opinion on his matters. 1Corinthians 5:9-13-- titus 1:13
The elders hate having to disfellowship one. It breaks many hearts. But its the unrepentent ones choice, its their fault alone, yet they point the finger every where else. Its actually for their own good. If they love their family they would repent. The selfish do not repent and blame everyone else.
I know the scripture they use to justify it. Doesn't make it any less cult-like and cannot tolerate any religion that advocates for such. Sorry, not sorry.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I know the scripture they use to justify it. Doesn't make it any less cult-like and cannot tolerate any religion that advocates for such. Sorry, not sorry.

So then its not the religion you are saying no to. It is God you are saying no to. In the OT the unrepentent were stoned to death, is that more of your like? Be happy God changed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality