Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 09:51 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A friend sent me a link to a review of a book entitled Sex and Violence in the Bible.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/r...iolence-bible/

I thought it was going to simply be a Bible-bashing book, but a closer look revealed that the author is himself a Christian, as is the reviewer, who like many here hold to the belief that all Scripture is inspired.

I remember being a young teenager and reading my Bible late at night when I couldn't sleep, desperate for comfort and help. I did come across Psalm 91 in that search, but I also discovered all these "dirty" stories in the Bible that they'd never told us in Sunday school. Sex between siblings, prostitution, oh my. Who knew?

As far as violence goes, the imagery of dogs licking the blood of Jezebel has always stayed with me.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 10:57 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If God is everything and everything is God, why bother praying? Doesn't God already know what you are thinking? Otherwise it seems there is some sort of disconnect between you and God that requires or involves some form of communication between you and God. A difference between you and God and God and you rather than all as one. Isn't this incongruous with your belief?
In our body, we have the phenomenon of pain signals or pleasure sensations that communicate the status of the myriad cells and biota that comprise us. Prayer simply plays the same role for our cellular consciousness within the Cosmic Consciousness.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
If God is everything and everything is God, why bother praying? Doesn't God already know what you are thinking? Otherwise it seems there is some sort of disconnect between you and God that requires or involves some form of communication between you and God. A difference between you and God and God and you rather than all as one. Isn't this incongruous with your belief?
I already explained...there is no "disconnect" between anything. Everything that exists (ALL), is just One Thing...and it's God.

But like a child asking "Why?", over, and over, and over again, to everything...you keep interrogating those that perceive God, and express Positive Conscious Energy/Thoughts through prayer.
Here's the Truth Of How It Really Is: It doesn't matter why!!
Why have 9 out of 10 people that have existed in the last couple thousand been able to perceive God?
I don't know...nobody does. But it doesn't matter...they just can...and a few can't.
Like asking, "Why are some living things sighted, and others are not?" Who knows why some living things have been made to be able to see, and others not made with that ability.
Why did a war just start? Why is there ever war at all? Why?-Why?-Why?-Why?-Why?-Why?--Why?-WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!
That's just how things are...and IT IS HOW IT IS.
You and your ilk keep with this puerile inquiry...because you get off on busting on others, hating on them, insulting them, mocking them.
Why are you and your ilk messed-up like that? Nobbody knows that either. You just are that way.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I already explained...there is no "disconnect" between anything. Everything that exists (ALL), is just One Thing...and it's God.

But like a child asking "Why?", over, and over, and over again, to everything...you keep interrogating those that perceive God, and express Positive Conscious Energy/Thoughts through prayer.
Here's the Truth Of How It Really Is: It doesn't matter why!!
Why have 9 out of 10 people that have existed in the last couple thousand been able to perceive God?
I don't know...nobody does. But it doesn't matter...they just can...and a few can't.
Like asking, "Why are some living things sighted, and others are not?" Who knows why some living things have been made to be able to see, and others not made with that ability.
Why did a war just start? Why is there ever war at all? Why?-Why?-Why?-Why?-Why?-Why?--Why?-WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!
That's just how things are...and IT IS HOW IT IS.
You and your ilk keep with this puerile inquiry...because you get off on busting on others, hating on them, insulting them, mocking them.
Why are you and your ilk messed-up like that? Nobbody knows that either. You just are that way.
If this is interrogation rather than the ongoing exchange of opinion, simple Q & A that is quite common in this forum, then I'm King Kong out to "attack" anything that moves. Please...

You say you already explained there is no disconnect and slide right past my question. If no disconnect, then why pray? Yes you have repeated the rest of your "reason and logic" many times, but it's odd how you can contradict yourself and not be aware. No more odd than the rest, and then you wonder about people who ask you why?

Thanks for today's good chuckle in any case. Never mind. At ease. I would hate to push you toward another raging tilt against all questions generated by your kind of thinking. My bad.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
If this is interrogation rather than the ongoing exchange of opinion, simple Q & A that is quite common in this forum, then I'm King Kong out to "attack" anything that moves. Please...

You say you already explained there is no disconnect and slide right past my question. If no disconnect, then why pray? Yes you have repeated the rest of your "reason and logic" many times, but it's odd how you can contradict yourself and not be aware. No more odd than the rest, and then you wonder about people who ask you why?

Thanks for today's good chuckle in any case. Never mind. At ease. I would hate to push you toward another raging tilt against all questions generated by your kind of thinking. My bad.
No...you, as usual, all hung-up on literal interpretations of metaphorical & allegorical Theological writings...put forth the "God already knows what you are thinking" stuff.

I never claimed that. I said what you are thinking IS God...as is anything and everything else. Thus...ones prayerful thoughts (Positive Conscious Energy) is also God.
You are the one that's putting forth the "God knows what you are thinking" stuff...not me.
The "disconnect" is your posing arguments based off of literal interpretations of metaphorical and allegorical works of literary art...even though you already know they are representative in nature, and not even anything you believe in yourself to begin with.
You just pose these "questions" so to mock by way of interrogation: "If God already knows what you are thinking, why pray to him? Hyuck-hyuck, GOTCHA!"
The hate fueled mocking veritably drips from such disingenuous and ignorant questions by those that don't even believe the God they cite exists.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No...you, as usual, all hung-up on literal interpretations of metaphorical & allegorical Theological writings...put forth the "God already knows what you are thinking" stuff.

I never claimed that. I said what you are thinking IS God...as is anything and everything else. Thus...ones prayerful thoughts (Positive Conscious Energy) is also God.
You are the one that's putting forth the "God knows what you are thinking" stuff...not me.
The "disconnect" is your posing arguments based off of literal interpretations of metaphorical and allegorical works of literary art...even though you already know they are representative in nature, and not even anything you believe in yourself to begin with.
You just pose these "questions" so to mock by way of interrogation: "If God already knows what you are thinking, why pray to him? Hyuck-hyuck, GOTCHA!"
The hate fueled mocking veritably drips from such disingenuous and ignorant questions by those that don't even believe the God they cite exists.
With all due respect, you are quite wrong when it comes to all your assumptions and accusations regarding my motives or goals here...

I always tell people I'm not one who enjoys "preaching to the choir," because I am far more interested in people who believe things that I don't. People who think differently than I do. I don't find it nearly as interesting to have someone tell me all the reasons they agree with me. Of course validation is always somewhat redeeming, but not all that interesting to me.

I like to learn new things. Consider ways of thinking different from mine, and of course to do so it's hard not to ask questions. What you see as interrogation. Much if not all I'm about along these lines you find an affront of some sort. Instead of recognizing a path of reason, logic and questions that are born from what you explain, you are forever thinking it's more of a GOTCHA game of some sort. I can see how it might appear that way to you, but I've never felt the same way about anyone who questions me about atheism. In fact, I always invite and I'm glad to entertain the same sort of "interrogation" about my opinions that you find so offensive. In this respect we are very different as well.

Those kinds of differences, about what makes people tick, are of interest to me. That's all. I tell you where the "disconnects" exist from where I'm sitting. You've got a problem with that? Please don't pay attention to me then.

I've got no interest or motive to give anyone heartburn about any of this...

Old 02-26-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
With all due respect, you are quite wrong when it comes to all your assumptions and accusations regarding my motives or goals here...

I always tell people I'm not one who enjoys "preaching to the choir," because I am far more interested in people who believe things that I don't. People who think differently than I do. I don't find it nearly as interesting to have someone tell me all the reasons they agree with me. Of course validation is always somewhat redeeming, but not all that interesting to me.

I like to learn new things. Consider ways of thinking different from mine, and of course to do so it's hard not to ask questions. What you see as interrogation. Much if not all I'm about along these lines you find an affront of some sort. Instead of recognizing a path of reason, logic and questions that are born from what you explain, you are forever thinking it's more of a GOTCHA game of some sort. I can see how it might appear that way to you, but I've never felt the same way about anyone who questions me about atheism. In fact, I always invite and I'm glad to entertain the same sort of "interrogation" about my opinions that you find so offensive. In this respect we are very different as well.

Those kinds of differences, about what makes people tick, are of interest to me. That's all. I tell you where the "disconnects" exist from where I'm sitting. You've got a problem with that? Please don't pay attention to me then.

I see...well, if 10 posts a day for 7 straight years of "inquiry" hasn't supplied what you are lookin for by now..my best assessment concludes it's probably not ever going to.
But please do not ever stop spitting into that strong wind and pounding sand...it would be a great amusement deficit for me.
Carry on.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:28 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:

You are arguing with someone who does not have the intellect to understand the concept of Devil's advocate.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You are arguing with someone who does not have the intellect to understand the concept of Devil's advocate.
Nah. The "Devil" is not at play here...nor any advocate thereof.
What's at play is the Power Mojo I put on the lot of you that compels you to come here for weeks, months, and years on end...putting up thousands upon tens of thousands of posts inquiring about the thoughts, attitude, and actions/inaction of a Entity that you claim does not exist.
What kinda wonderfully illogical, off-the-wall hoot is that?!
Such dutiful service to my entertainment and amusement!!
The power of the Ultimate Reality (ALL) GOD compels you through that Mojo...and you couldn't stop if you tried with every fiber of your being.
Carry on.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:13 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Nah. The "Devil" is not at play here...nor any advocate thereof.
What's at play is the Power Mojo I put on the lot of you that compels you to come here for weeks, months, and years on end...putting up thousands upon tens of thousands of posts inquiring about the thoughts, attitude, and actions/inaction of a Entity that you claim does not exist.
What kinda wonderfully illogical, off-the-wall hoot is that?!
Such dutiful service to my entertainment and amusement!!
The power of the Ultimate Reality (ALL) GOD compels you through that Mojo...and you couldn't stop if you tried with every fiber of your being.
Carry on.
Gldn, my friend, you are a real hoot! You certainly raise the hackles of the atheists here. You seem to have them flailing in every direction. Glad you are enjoying yourself. I am personally too familiar with my previous mindset as an atheist and how impenetrable it can be for God stuff. I am focused on a more serious and heartfelt agenda geared toward correcting and shoring up believers and reaching the agnostics and fence sitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality