Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 12:51 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
These are the sorts of notions, born from religion, that breed the division rather than inclusion I was referring to earlier. Most the time I feel like blurting "enough already!"
So blurt whatever you want. These are particular facts that were written as a response to someone else's assertions. If you have a problem with a dialogue about Judaism, infused with Jewish sources then maybe a discussion about Judaism isn't the right place for you.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:05 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
regarding off-putting comments, at the top of the list would be comments framed such as bold above:
"I have had a fair amount of experience with Jewish people."

can you not hear how this sounds? it makes me cringe even typing the below as an example. maybe show some awareness of how you talk regarding "inhumanity" to others and acting in ways that are "inclusive." the language you use reeks of, well i'll leave it at that. it reeks.

"i have had a fair amount of experience with black people. some are still friends. some are more offensive when it comes to expressing their identity as black. for no real good reason as far as i can tell, they'll let it be known they are black at the drop of a hat. This is a bit off-putting. often in circumstances that really don't have anything to do with heritage or race."

there is a reason that statements in the format of "some of my best friends are black" is extremely problematic. The use of this phrase is so problematic it is usually construed as ipso facto evidence of bigotry.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:51 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Others I have known who are on the more religious side are much less "defensive" and far more "offensive" when it comes to expressing their identity as Jewish. Often in circumstances that really don't have anything to do with our heritage or religion. For no real good reason far as I can tell, they'll let it be known they are Jewish "at the drop of a hat." This to me is a bit off-putting, and rather than share the many examples I have personally witnessed, I'll just leave it there.
I’m not sure what you mean by this. In what circumstances do you feel people share their Jewish identity for no good reason, and why does this bother you?

Old 03-18-2022, 03:19 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
regarding off-putting comments, at the top of the list would be comments framed such as bold above:

can you not hear how this sounds? it makes me cringe even typing the below as an example. maybe show some awareness of how you talk regarding "inhumanity" to others and acting in ways that are "inclusive." the language you use reeks of, well i'll leave it at that. it reeks.

"i have had a fair amount of experience with black people. some are still friends. some are more offensive when it comes to expressing their identity as black. for no real good reason as far as i can tell, they'll let it be known they are black at the drop of a hat. This is a bit off-putting. often in circumstances that really don't have anything to do with heritage or race."

there is a reason that statements in the format of "some of my best friends are black" is extremely problematic. The use of this phrase is so problematic it is usually construed as ipso facto evidence of bigotry.
You are taking things out of context and making a general conclusion about them.

"Some of my best friends are Black". Well, some of my best friends happen to be Black. Is that a problem? No. The problem is that some people will say that when it's not at all true, and then make assumptions about Black people. I got in a conversation about exactly that with another white person one day. He said exactly that. And I knew it wasn't true. So I asked him to name some of his close Black friends. The best he could come up with was that he would chat with the Black woman at the grocery register where he shopped. He didn't even know her name. I asked him to name a Black person that he had invited to his home. He came up with 'the maid'. I asked him to name a Black person whose home he had been in. He never had. That's when the statement "some of my best friends are Black" becomes a problem if it's not true, or even if it is true and the person then makes assumptions like, "So I know all about Black people".

Same with Jewish thing. I was the principal of a school a 5 minute walk from one of the largest Jewish temples in the D.C. area. Why was it there? Because a lot of Jews lived in that particular area, and so it served those locals who were Jewish. Once a year our admin would visit the Jewish temple during the day to chat with the rabbi and other Jewish people who were in leadership roles (formal or informal) at the temple. In turn, they would come down and visit our school. I knew a lot of Jewish kids. I was once invited to an all-Jewish Thanksgiving dinner...all-Jewish except for one person...me. It was fun. I learned a lot. It would have been a problem if had walked away from those experiences saying, "Some of best friends are Jewish (and a couple were), so I know all about being Jewish".

Who is the poster that I have had to correct repeatedly about misstatements about Buddhism? YOU. Because you talk about what you don't know about.

What I suggest you do before you write another of these rants is ask yourself this: do I chide -- almost exclusively -- atheists? Because that is your typical pattern. Why is that your relatively persistent pattern? THAT reeks.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:09 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:

If what I wrote "reeks" of anything, it reeks of the truth about what my personal experience has been...

I made a point of expressly explaining this was my personal experience rather than my preferred focus on the facts more generally speaking. Part of that truth is to describe all the "good, bad and ugly" as I always try to do in an objective manner. People like you are only accepting of the good and utterly unable to consider the bad. Criticism, and this too is part of the experience I can attest to. Especially my experience in this forum. Most especially with you in particular.

How does this sound? Sounds like what it is. Nothing more and nothing less. If my personal experience is not what you want to hear, then maybe this is not the forum for you.

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-19-2022 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-19-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I’m not sure what you mean by this. In what circumstances do you feel people share their Jewish identity for no good reason, and why does this bother you?
Should I get into specifics? I doubt what I'm talking about is foreign to anyone who has been in the company of someone who wants to draw attention to who they are, what they are, what they believe. This doesn't apply to all Jewish people like I noted before. You would hardly know some of the Jewish people I know to be Jewish, because they are not the sort of people who are self-centered like that. A self-centeredness that can easily be seen in people who are not Jewish too!

Take for example sports fans (like me). Some sports fans can hardly do anything without bringing up sports, tell you who their favorite team is even if you didn't ask. Even if you are not interested. To the point of painting their face with their team colors. Other sports fans are not all about sports or their favorite team. Same sort of thing. Nothing more and nothing less.

Take as another example people who can hardly keep from letting you know they are Christian. "Bible thumpers" as they are sometimes called. Also not flattering, but we all know who I'm talking about. For them, it's all about their religion, and if you are with them, you're going to know it.

For those who tend to be a bit "heavy" when it comes to this sort of thing, well of course they will take offense. Why? Because they know I'm describing them. Others who know exactly what I'm referring to are perhaps more likely to ask questions like you have done. Rather than be offended.

Does it bother me that people paint their face with their favorite team colors? Not really generally speaking, but I can't deny there comes a point when people tend to overdo and impose their self-centeredness in ways that don't really fit with the circumstances. "Uncalled for" as some might put it.

Reminds me of the threads about imposing prayer on people who are not really there for purposes of prayer. Same sort of thing. I don't lose sleep over it, but I prefer people who don't impose themselves on others in these ways. Again more inclusive rather than exclusive. That's all.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:34 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, you can't recognize an anti-Jewish screed, when, when you see one? Good grief!
Lenin, btw, was not a practicing Jew, had no interest in Judaism or his Jewish heritage on his mother's side. This whole "the Jews did this to us!" narrative in relation to the 1917 revolution in Russia has no credibility outside of Russia, except in warped little backwaters looking for excuses to pile on Jewish people.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-19-2022 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-19-2022, 10:34 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
No, it didn't. Check Masechet Avodah Zara 8b. The Sanhedrin had no power to try capital cases under Jewish law.
So how could they stop using a power if they did not have that power in the first place? That the Jews stopped doing something around 30 AD does not mean the Romans stopped them.

Quote:
So still, not an accepted mode of execution for the Jewish court system.The Hasmonean family monarchy was improper for other reasons...
Correct. That is why I said it must have been the Romans if the gospels are based on actual history.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:38 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
So blurt whatever you want. These are particular facts that were written as a response to someone else's assertions.
Particular facts that were written as a response to someone else's facts. I would search for my reference, but it is family time.

Quote:
If you have a problem with a dialogue about Judaism, infused with Jewish sources then maybe a discussion about Judaism isn't the right place for you.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
So blurt whatever you want. These are particular facts that were written as a response to someone else's assertions. If you have a problem with a dialogue about Judaism, infused with Jewish sources then maybe a discussion about Judaism isn't the right place for you.
That blurt about "enough already" is about as thoughtful and appropriate a comment I can think to post and reiterate as often as seems necessary. Enough already far as I'm concerned!

PS: Does the title of this thread mean this thread is about Judaism? Even if it is, does the subject of Judaism not allow any comments other than complimentary or as you prefer?

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-19-2022 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality