Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 10:03 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
that is a plain contradiction, you can't have it both ways.
And you seem to be under the impression that Gods will is being done in the earth, yet Jesus taught us to pray thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven, which would be a redundant prayer if Gods will was already being done on the earth.
I don't know why so many seem to forget or ignore the FACT that we have been given DOMINION here on earth by God's Sovereign Will. God has a goal He wants us to achieve and He sent His Son in Jesus's name to guide us to it as the Comforter (Holy Spirit), but the keyword there is GUIDE, NOT enforce or coerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 11:38 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Just like you are now where God wants you to be, because he put you there.
Lol ... are you sure god wants me to be an atheist? I'm here because its the role he assigned me? I'm not sure he would appreciate getting blamed for me!

Old 03-03-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Nothing happens that God did not predestine. This is not only logical given His omniscience and omnipotence, but something that is thoroughly supported in the Bible.
The eternal debate between Calvinists and Arminians shows no sign of abating, and they both quote chapter and verse to "prove" their position.

In reality the Bible is inconsistent on this score and it's a question of what you choose to cherry-pick or distort as to what your position is.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
How in the world is Love a choice?

No one chooses who they want to fall in love with - that spark is either there or it isn't. You can't make yourself fall in love. Some people try to claim they've "learned to love" a spouse they've been married to for a long time - but I believe that's more psychological addiction rather than love.
It depends on your definition of love.

In English we only have one word for it, and it covers a lot of use cases.

Many languages have different words for, e.g., erotic love, infatuation, mature love, platonic or brotherly love, etc.

Since life is full of ups and downs and people DO grow/regress/change to an extent -- sometimes by growing apart -- that "spark" that you have no control over can and, I'd argue to an extent should, be replaced by just a cold hard decision, based on loyalty and devotion and promises made. Of course it can't be abusive or exploitive or dismissive, the dedication can't be one-sided. But love isn't all fun and heart pitta-pats, either. Sometimes it's just hard work. Sometimes that hard work pays off, other times not. The reader's mileage may (really, will) vary.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Wanna bet?

Old 03-03-2022, 12:00 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm curious to know if there are religions that consider a person predestined for certain roles in life from the time they are born.

How do those beliefs factor into family dynamics? And to what degree is free will a factor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
A version of this question is being asked anew every other day here, it seems. It IS an important question.

My $0.02 is that we absolutely have free will to make any decisions we want. But at the same time, God already knows what we will decide, as there are no time boundaries for Him. So, while we are making our decisions freely, everything unfolds in accordance with His plan for us. The Plan already knows what we will decide at various stages of our life. Predestination, if you will.
I guess we don't really know but my ideology is kind of inline with you.

And taking a step further on - perhaps we are already pre-destined to hell or heaven, too.
God already knows, but the trick is, we don't.

All we can do is try and hope for the best.

The last two dialogues (question and answer), IMO, sums up the entire existence of mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEUnb2mE_nw

Old 03-03-2022, 01:59 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

And taking a step further on - perhaps we are already pre-destined to hell or heaven, too.

The last two dialogues (question and answer), IMO, sums up the entire existence of mankind.

There is nothing in scripture that says anyone is predestined to go to hell. Every scripture concerning predestination is in reference to Christ and mankind in christ.

Thus it was predestined from eternity past that all of humanity will be in Christ. For as the scriptures proclaim every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is lord to the glory of God the father.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
It's a matter of belief. If you believe in predestination then you believe that everything that happens to you is predestined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm curious to know if there are religions that consider a person predestined for certain roles in life from the time they are born.

How do those beliefs factor into family dynamics? And to what degree is free will a factor?

Old 03-03-2022, 02:38 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol ... are you sure god wants me to be an atheist? I'm here because its the role he assigned me? I'm not sure he would appreciate getting blamed for me!
How do you know God isn't going to call you to faith?

Old 03-03-2022, 03:36 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

What's the point of life if we're just going to wind up in either heaven or hell, whichever one we are predetermined to be in?

I have always thought that life on earth has a purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality