Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2022, 08:22 PM

43,081 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

I believe in miracles, karma, magic, etc. for those things that cannot be explained. But these words are not readily accepted today. They are scoffed at, laughed at and you are mocked for even saying them.

We have words to describe what we cannot explain. These are the accepted words.
coincidence
synchronicity
serendipity

Think about it. Did miracles stop when the Bible was frozen in content ?
I don't think so. We just stopped writing about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 08:40 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Why haven't you?------The Power Mojo I put on you (and others) that compels you to discuss God & Religion every day...that's why. But, do not despair...there is very little you could contemplate and discuss more meaningful than God & Religion. Carry on. Not that you could stop.
oh my gosh i love this post ! ! ! ! !

Old 03-21-2022, 08:44 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Great movie, Jimmy Stewart was goid in it.
I wondered who would 'get it'.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I believe in miracles, karma, magic, etc. for those things that cannot be explained. But these words are not readily accepted today. They are scoffed at, laughed at and you are mocked for even saying them.

We have words to describe what we cannot explain. These are the accepted words.
coincidence
synchronicity
serendipity

Think about it. Did miracles stop when the Bible was frozen in content ?
I don't think so. We just stopped writing about them.
I'm not sure that's true for karma, although I think most people misunderstand karma.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:44 PM

43,081 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure that's true for karma, although I think most people misunderstand karma.
Yeah, I think you're right. I've seen Karma accepted as a form of revenge.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yeah, I think you're right. I've seen Karma accepted as a form of revenge.
In my view it's simply cause and effect, not some cosmic justice system.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:07 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
In my view it's simply cause and effect, not some cosmic justice system.
What is your understanding of karma?

Old 03-22-2022, 01:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The "official" definition:
KARMA - The totality of a person's actions and conduct during successive incarnations, regarded as causally influencing his or her destiny.
In another sense, your intrinsic "vibration" combined with "like attracts like" tends to steer "good" to those who are intrinsically "good," while the opposite occurs for those who are not good. Likewise, associations in the other realm are bound by that same rule. Thus an evil being would be unable to approach that which is intrinsically good, despite their intense desire to do so. Eternal exclusion from that great spirit could be construed to be damnation, too.

"When a pickpocket meets a saint, all he sees are the pockets..."

Old 03-22-2022, 07:28 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Or, perhaps others see something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes they do! That's the problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Just why is that a problem let alon the problem?
God has unambiguously revealed Himself to us, yet many people choose to either ignore it or make up creative alternate explanations. I would call this a problem because it's important for mankind to recognize his place in the cosmos.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Actually, what I stated previously. Karma is simply cause and effect.

It's very much like Buddha's admonition about choosing who one associates with (https://buddhasadvice.wordpress.com/friendships/). It's almost the old 'you reap what you sow' principle.

Some people believe that karma is a system of cosmic justice. The problem with that is that sometimes, perhaps even often, the justice part never actually happens. Instead it's pretty simply that usually if you do good things it is more likely that you will benefit from those actions, while if you do bad things you will eventually pay a price.

I spent a couple of years on a pretty good Buddhist forum (newbuddhist.com). Trying to figure out karma was one of the most discussed topics. But those who try to say karma is that cosmic justice thing...they're just unable to break away from the god metes out justice concept of christianity. Well, in Buddhism there is not a creator god and Buddhism is not a commandment-based belief-system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality