Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 11:40 AM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Id like to correct somewhat your assertion. I accept that biogenesis is a possible and maybe the most likely way but believe is nit the best term IMHO.
Did you mean a-bio-genesis or biogenesis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 11:50 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathro View Post
Did you mean a-bio-genesis or biogenesis?
I'm curious why you hyphenate abiogensis all the time. I'm not against it, just wondering. Is it for ease of pronunciation or to emphasize the meaning? Something else?

Old 04-05-2022, 11:53 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps it is a language issue after all. You seem to confuse the evidence we have about HOW things operate with your preferred assumption about WHY they operate. You have NO evidence about WHY they operate.
A valid point, although I suspect it is just semantics. How something operates can be thought of us all the "why" that exists on the matter. The question, "why is the sky blue" is apt to elicit a description of how it is blue, since there is no "why" involved. It's not blue because god wanted it blue, it is blue because of the reflection / refraction characteristics of light in a particle-laden gas at certain times of the day.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:54 AM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm curious why you hyphenate abiogensis all the time. I'm not against it, just wondering. Is it for ease of pronunciation or to emphasize the meaning? Something else?
Just to emphasize between each part. I think since theists have to believe in it they can use something like Theistic Abiognesis just like Theistic Evolution. Belief in god/s does not necessarily eliminate either one of those.

What other term would you use instead of abiogenesis?

Last edited by xd4t5gv; 04-05-2022 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-05-2022, 12:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Just to emphasize between each part. I think since theists have to believe in it they can use something like Theist Abiognesis just like Theistic Evolution. Belief in god/s does not necessarily eliminate either one of those.

What other term would you use instead of abiogenesis.
Let's see..."inconsequential", "nugatory", "piddling", etc.
Things occured by and through God the way they have.
It is what it is and was what it was.
If we never know specifically & in detail it won't matter a bit...except to those awash in headtrips & hubris, looking to feel superior to others & insult them.
Reverence to God...that all things come by and through!!

Old 04-05-2022, 12:12 PM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Perhaps it is a language issue after all.
Yes, you play with it to avoid supporting your position.

Quote:
You seem to confuse the evidence we have about HOW things operate with your preferred assumption about WHY they operate.
And there is the 'blame Harry and pretend it is his misunderstanding instead of providing evidence for your claim' game.

Quote:
You have NO evidence about WHY they operate.
If absolute non-existence is not possible, then existence is the only alternative. And everything that exists has properties and behaviors. That is the WHY, because they must exist.

And the evidence we have about HOW they operate is that they do not need a conscious entity. For over 2000 years, it has always been naturalism. It is you who presumes it does require an intelligent entity, so ONCE AGAIN it is you who needs to provide that extra evidence, AND explain how it works.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:34 PM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Let's see..."inconsequential", "nugatory", "piddling", etc.
Things occured by and through God the way they have.
It is what it is and was what it was.
If we never know specifically & in detail it won't matter a bit...except to those awash in headtrips & hubris, looking to feel superior to others & insult them.
Reverence to God...that all things come by and through!!
I'm glad you believe that a-bio-genesis is true. Thanks for playing!

Old 04-05-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you believe that a-bio-genesis is true. Thanks for playing!
It matters to you...refer to my last post as to why.
I never said I believed it is true...it may be, or maybe not.
Life may have always existed. Not that it matters...well, except to those I noted.
The only thing being "played"...is you playing yourself.
You need to get hip to that.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:50 PM
xd4t5gv

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It matters to you...refer to my last post as to why.
I never said I believed it is true...it may be, or maybe not.
Life may have always existed. Not that it matters...well, except to those I noted.
The only thing being "played"...is you playing yourself.
You need to get hip to that.
You don't have to say it. Biological life either is eternal or it is not. If not, then the only option is a-bio-genesis.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You don't have to say it. Biological life either is eternal or it is not. If not, then the only option is a-bio-genesis.
"Life" may not be just "biological"...things may "live" in some other way or state.
Everything is "energy" anyway...and what we call "life" is just a form of it...as everything is.
But we are probably not aware of the other forms of energy that we would consider to be "alive".
You are too hung up on your narrow sphere of infinitesimal knowledge about such things...that will never be anything but.
Everything, in totality, is just One Thing.
Which is why it doesn't matter. Except to those I noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality