Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 12:57 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

I am trying to understand if this is possible.
Quote:
Religion is any cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, ethics, or organizations, that relate humanity to the supernatural or transcendental.
If there is no god, supernatural or transcendental entity, can a system defined as religion exist?
if one does not believe in the supernatural and the transcendental can one still be religious?
On the other hand one can believe in the supernatural and the transcendental and not belong to any religion.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 01:15 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
You can certainly have spirituality to relate/connect humanity with the supernatural/transcendental, without the demands and compromises of religion. It's the purely natural, personal, and inward way, instead of the outwardly way of dictates and rules from other people.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-01-2022 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-01-2022, 01:34 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

If there is no god, supernatural or transcendental entity, can a system defined as religion exist?
if one does not believe in the supernatural and the transcendental can one still be religious?
On the other hand one can believe in the supernatural and the transcendental and not belong to any religion.
What do you think?
There is an ongoing debate about whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy. And I guess part of that debate is does there have to be an actual god involved.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:43 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
A good question however some definitions may need to be tweeked in abswering that. According to Wikipedia there are some non theist religions. Ill post the link but have no persinsl.opinion on this topicfor a variety of reasons

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontheistic_religion

Old 04-01-2022, 01:44 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:

What do you think?
I think you're conflating the "supernatural or transcendental" with god. To transcend the human condition, the mundanity of life, etc., doesn't require a god. If something outside of nature existed, it would not have to include god, either. Most people who dabble in such hobbies are theists, but not all are.

I don't recall if it was you or someone else discussing this topic in recent days where I mentioned that Buddhism, Taoism, and a handful of other modern religions are either silent about deities, or deity-optional (usually depending on variations in sects or personal practices).

More primitive proto-religions like animism don't have gods as such, but spirits that inhabit various objects or aspects of nature. These spirits can be the spirits of ancestors or just tree spirits, cloud spirits, lake spirits or or the like. They are not gods in either name or in anything like the concept of the monotheistic gods. A lake spirit's power and influence would be confined to its lake, for example.

From there, things evolve to polytheism, with some pantheon of gods sharing power and influence with humans, sometimes even intermarrying with humans, in-fighting among themselves, etc.

From there, monotheism develops. With a single god, that god has ALL power and authority, but also, inherently must claim to be the One True God, which means all other gods must be false. The thinking of theists today tends to assume monotheism (usually for the Abrahamic deity or the quasi-pantheon of the Trinity) without any regard for the many other god concepts and religious concepts that don't even HAVE or require gods.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:18 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
The only religion with the living God is the religion with the Spirit of God through Jesus Christ, so there are countless religions without God ........ I used to go to a dry of the Spirit of God church, and I left as I learned everything they had ...... Still, God has to exist as there won't be an earth or a universe without the Living God

Old 04-01-2022, 02:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The only religion with the living God is the religion with the Spirit of God through Jesus Christ, so there are countless religions without God ........ I used to go to a dry of the Spirit of God church, and I left as I learned everything they had ...... Still, God has to exist as there won't be an earth or a universe without the Living God
Does Judaism not have the same God as you believe in and it soes not go through Jesus Christ. Please explain how if it is the same God only one is living?

Old 04-01-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:

What do you think?

Apparently yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The link that was posted stated:
"Atheists now legally protected in US under religious freedom bill signed by Barack Obama"

So...I added additional information and perspective.

Even the lawyer defending the case I noted said, “Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion.”
"It is difficult”, continued Fahling, “not to be somewhat jaundiced about our courts when they take clauses especially designed to protect religion from the state and turn them on their head by giving protective cover to a belief system, that, by every known definition other than the courts’ is not a religion, while simultaneously declaring public expressions of true religious faith to be prohibited.”

As per a official legal ruling organization of the U.S. Government...Atheism is a Religion.
Which would figure...because it is.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:07 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Never heard of pastor or priest who is atheist? They like the "smells and bells" of religion. They like the community, and frankly, the paycheck. Certainly there are people, and systems that cater to those that desire those things.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Never heard of pastor or priest who is atheist? They like the "smells and bells" of religion. They like the community, and frankly, the paycheck. Certainly there are people, and systems that cater to those that desire those things.
Apart from atheist, the believers and spiritually inclined find the “smells and bells” very much part of their religious experience and a step towards spiritual evolution. We dont know what people have in their minds, we can barely decipher what is going on in our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality