Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 08:33 AM

15,837 posts, read 6,905,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The directive had nothing to do with Jesus wanting the gospel spread to other people. It had everything to do with the church inventing doctrine of spreading the faith by proselytizing for the sole purpose of the churchmen keeping their faith from going extinct by forcing members to preach in order to convert greater and greater numbers to the faith and thus increasing the church leaders' wealth, influence and power. Everybody knows by now that the ending of Mark was tacked on by later churchmen for this sole purpose.
What does this have with the topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 09:49 AM

50,336 posts, read 23,925,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
worship of buddha
Buddha being worshipped.
There are beautiful idols of Buddha some people collect and place them in their garden as an ornament. That they do that does not mean Buddhism has no worship. Buddha is venerated, viharaa are built for him and Buddhist worship the idol which [b]they[b] know and recognize as the wisdom of Buddha.
That is Buddhism. A religion.
If the link does not open simply search Buddha being worshipped for images.
The word venerate is defined as "regard with great respect; revere". The first definition I came up with for worship was: "the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity".

I have told this experience before, but it's worth repeating. I was in a temple in Bangkok talking with a monk, lamenting that in the States there are not many Theravada temples to connect with. The monk said (slightly paraphrased...it's been a long time) "See this temple? The candles? The incense? Even the large Buddha statue? All these things have nothing to do with Buddhism. This is all you need to be a Buddhist", and he placed his hand on my head.

So even the fact that some Buddhists may pray to a Buddha statue, even the fact that some may worship at a statue, doesn't mean that that's real Buddhism.

But I'll tell you about a friend of mine. Once I got to know one Thai person in Virginia, I suddenly found myself with several Thai friends. One was a fellow about 30 years old, nice enough guy. He would drop by the house maybe once every couple of months, and I used to cringe when he would come. The reason is that he was a very sick man, with a horrible heart condition. If you sat on one end of a large living room and he sat on the other end of the living room, you could CLEARLY hear his heart beating, and it was far from a good, rhythmic beat. He was always tired with little energy. Clearly destined not to live long, and I was always afraid he might drop dead when visiting. But of course, I always welcomed him. One day after I had known him for about 2 years he stopped by and said he was here to say goodbye. I asked if he was moving to some other city, But no, the night before he had been standing on a chair, dusting the high shelf on which his Buddha statue was placed, lost his balance and fell, and when he did the Buddha statue got knocked off the shelf and broke. "So now I will die" because of the disrespect. In a sense, that was a form of worship -- thinking that because of an accident with no ill intent (and important factor) he would die because of what happened. Of course, he actually did die 2 days later, but do we believe it was because of his accidental breaking of the Buddha statue? I certainly don't. But it's a good example when things go beyond veneration to worship.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:57 AM

29,377 posts, read 9,555,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are many paths (not just Buddhism) which do not proselytize, and which recognize that the sacred, the holy, and the Divine are accessible to everyone; and that there is not only one way that is "right" and "true."
Right again, but not all paths are equal for a wide variety of reasons...

I appreciate Buddhism for the reasons I already described and more, but I'm not a Buddhist for other reasons, and I don't follow many of those paths I think you are referring to for similar reasons. I am quite sure the path to the truth of these matters is not paved by any religion in any case.

Too many "issues" with all of them far as I'm concerned...

Old 04-07-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Right - in fact, only in Christianity and Islam is there proselytizing - so not for Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism...and many less popular sects.
Proselytizing is just one aspect of some religions that can cause someone to feel positive or negative about a religion. Just one aspect of a great many when it comes to all religions that can cause someone to become a follower or not. Too many aspects about all religions that have kept me from being a follower, and this is regardless whether the religion involves a belief in a god or not.

But back to the topic of the thread if anyone cares to get back to it...

Old 04-07-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
worship of buddha
Buddha being worshipped.
There are beautiful idols of Buddha some people collect and place them in their garden as an ornament. That they do that does not mean Buddhism has no worship. Buddha is venerated, viharaa are built for him and Buddhist worship the idol which [b]they[b] know and recognize as the wisdom of Buddha.
That is Buddhism. A religion.
If the link does not open simply search Buddha being worshipped for images.
I have three very small Buddha figurines in my garden. One that I brought back from the temple of Wat Mahathat in Ayutthaya, Thailand.

Pictured here...

https://www.pattayaunlimited.com/ico...ad-and-banyan/

Mine sculpted in the roots just like the original. A truly magical thing to see first hand in a truly magical UNESCO site.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The word venerate is defined as "regard with great respect; revere". The first definition I came up with for worship was: "the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity".

I have told this experience before, but it's worth repeating. I was in a temple in Bangkok talking with a monk, lamenting that in the States there are not many Theravada temples to connect with. The monk said (slightly paraphrased...it's been a long time) "See this temple? The candles? The incense? Even the large Buddha statue? All these things have nothing to do with Buddhism. This is all you need to be a Buddhist", and he placed his hand on my head.

So even the fact that some Buddhists may pray to a Buddha statue, even the fact that some may worship at a statue, doesn't mean that that's real Buddhism.

But I'll tell you about a friend of mine. Once I got to know one Thai person in Virginia, I suddenly found myself with several Thai friends. One was a fellow about 30 years old, nice enough guy. He would drop by the house maybe once every couple of months, and I used to cringe when he would come. The reason is that he was a very sick man, with a horrible heart condition. If you sat on one end of a large living room and he sat on the other end of the living room, you could CLEARLY hear his heart beating, and it was far from a good, rhythmic beat. He was always tired with little energy. Clearly destined not to live long, and I was always afraid he might drop dead when visiting. But of course, I always welcomed him. One day after I had known him for about 2 years he stopped by and said he was here to say goodbye. I asked if he was moving to some other city, But no, the night before he had been standing on a chair, dusting the high shelf on which his Buddha statue was placed, lost his balance and fell, and when he did the Buddha statue got knocked off the shelf and broke. "So now I will die" because of the disrespect. In a sense, that was a form of worship -- thinking that because of an accident with no ill intent (and important factor) he would die because of what happened. Of course, he actually did die 2 days later, but do we believe it was because of his accidental breaking of the Buddha statue? I certainly don't. But it's a good example when things go beyond veneration to worship.
the bolded. So this one kindly monk reassuring cancels all those other Buddhists who do pray in front of a carving of Buddha? Unfortunately you seem to have taken the wrong message, which was you can worship Buddha anywhere. Worship is the key word. Whatever you understand is yours. I do not wish to continue this conversation. Buddhism deserves a lot more respect and reverence than you show, but hey that is your karma.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
the bolded. So this one kindly monk reassuring cancels all those other Buddhists who do pray in front of a carving of Buddha? Unfortunately you seem to have taken the wrong message, which was you can worship Buddha anywhere. Worship is the key word. Whatever you understand is yours. I do not wish to continue this conversation. Buddhism deserves a lot more respect and reverence than you show, but hey that is your karma.
No one is asking you to respond.

But there is a difference between a monk's knowledge of what Buddhism should be and a lay person's understanding of what Buddhism should be. And I'll give you another example of that. At the Thai Theravada temple where I last lived I went to the temple OFTEN, meditated with the monks OCCAISIONALLY, and tutored a couple of the monks in English language skills. That's just a little background. But we developed a close relationship and it encouraged me to ask some penetrating questions. One day I mentioned that I was confused about the spirit houses that all virtually all Thai houses and businesses have, and even the spirit house that the temple had. For those who are not aware, the idea is that when you build a house or a business you take away the natural home of animistic spirits, so you build a house for them and often place food items or flowers there. And my question for the monk was, "Is that Buddhist?" He said no, it was animism, but that common Thai people have long confused and mixed animism with Buddhism.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:24 PM

884 posts, read 353,576 times
Quote:
The monks at the temple I used to meditate at, were very keen to express that the meditation did not require belief in God or the supernatural, and can be just as helpful to an atheist. And it was.

Their respectfulness and dexterity in not trying to pull me down into their beliefs won my respect for them and their religion.

There was something wonderfully human about the way they acted, without a hint of the arrogant divine that unfortunately too many proselytisers manifest, which was great.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
As your posts are your karma.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No one is asking you to respond.

But there is a difference between a monk's knowledge of what Buddhism should be and a lay person's understanding of what Buddhism should be. And I'll give you another example of that. At the Thai Theravada temple where I last lived I went to the temple OFTEN, meditated with the monks OCCAISIONALLY, and tutored a couple of the monks in English language skills. That's just a little background. But we developed a close relationship and it encouraged me to ask some penetrating questions. One day I mentioned that I was confused about the spirit houses that all virtually all Thai houses and businesses have, and even the spirit house that the temple had. For those who are not aware, the idea is that when you build a house or a business you take away the natural home of animistic spirits, so you build a house for them and often place food items or flowers there. And my question for the monk was, "Is that Buddhist?" He said no, it was animism, but that common Thai people have long confused and mixed animism with Buddhism.
I can relate to the responses you received from the Thai monks. When people ask me about my religion I tailor my response to how I asses their level of understanding, comprehension, experience, and sensibilities. If it is someone who finds Hinduism an exotic curiosity, all about kamsutra and what not, and come with wrong preconceived ideas, I tell the absolute minimum: Yes, all Indians do kamasutra, they are all experts. Yes, we have a million zillion gods, but that is for the common people, nothing to do with MY Hinduism. Basically I just want to get rid of them without being rude.

But when someone asks a genuine question with a sound knowledge of Hinduism and the philosophy, and respect and need to know, my responses will be completely different.
I think you got the first kind. The common people are the ones who give alms to the Bhikshus and there is mutual regard for each other. There is no bad religion, only evolution. A monk would know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality