Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 08:32 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Makes me wonder if God zapped Tunguska because the bears were getting a little bit pervy out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 07:02 PM

4,859 posts, read 449,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Hi

I was wondering if I can find any similarities about the Sodom & Gomorrah story between the Quran & Christian scriptures. In the Quran it says that even though his wife did not commit any gay act, God still destroyed her because she was verbally very supportive of LGBT. She used to side with the homosexuals and even worked as a spy for them against her husband.

Here’s the Quranic story: God sent a couple very handsome angels to Prophet Lot’s house to test the people of Sodom & Gommorah. His wife then spread the word about them throughout the town. The lustful men came running to Prophet Lot’s house to fulfill their desires. After they came to his house, Prophet Lot said, if you are interested, you may marry my virgin daughters. The men replied “Don’t be silly, you know we aren’t interested in them. And you know why we are here.” They wanted to have sex with the angels who were disguised as handsome men. Prophet Lot asked them to stop looking at men with lust and forbade them from having sex as God commanded. They did not listen.

God commanded Prophet Lot and his family to leave the city. God then destroyed the city and his wife. He destroyed his wife as well because she was an ally for the homosexuals. Is that similar to what it says in Christian scriptures ?
I'm sorry to say this, but that's all pure nonsense.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:40 PM

50,757 posts, read 24,253,304 times
If the premise of this thread were correct, can you imagine how many Americans would now be pillars of salt?

Old 03-11-2023, 08:37 PM

6,786 posts, read 2,896,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123
Hi

I was wondering if I can find any similarities about the Sodom & Gomorrah story between the Quran & Christian scriptures. In the Quran it says that even though his wife did not commit any gay act, God still destroyed her because she was verbally very supportive of LGBT. She used to side with the homosexuals and even worked as a spy for them against her husband.

Here’s the Quranic story: God sent a couple very handsome angels to Prophet Lot’s house to test the people of Sodom & Gommorah. His wife then spread the word about them throughout the town. The lustful men came running to Prophet Lot’s house to fulfill their desires. After they came to his house, Prophet Lot said, if you are interested, you may marry my virgin daughters. The men replied “Don’t be silly, you know we aren’t interested in them. And you know why we are here.” They wanted to have sex with the angels who were disguised as handsome men. Prophet Lot asked them to stop looking at men with lust and forbade them from having sex as God commanded. They did not listen.

God commanded Prophet Lot and his family to leave the city. God then destroyed the city and his wife. He destroyed his wife as well because she was an ally for the homosexuals. Is that similar to what it says in Christian scriptures ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but that's all pure nonsense.
True. But the same - this is all pure nonsense - can probably be said for the ACTUAL Bible tale of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Old 03-13-2023, 01:14 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't believe God has anything against homosexuals per se. I think that what He hates is promiscuity.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:02 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,663,357 times
77. And when Our messengers came to Lut (Lot), he was grieved on account of them and felt himself straitened for them
(lest the town people should approach them to commit sodomy with them). He said: "This is a distressful day."

78. And his people came rushing towards him, and since aforetime they used to commit crimes (sodomy),
he said: "O my people! Here are my daughters (i.e. the women of the nation), they are purer for you (if you marry them lawfully).
So fear Allah and degrace me not with regard to my guests! Is there not among you a single right-minded man?"

79. They said: "Surely you know that we have neither any desire nor need of your daughters, and indeed you know well what we want!"

80. He said: "Would that I had strength (men) to overpower you, or that I could betake myself to some powerful support (to resist you)."

81. They (messengers) said: "O Lut (Lot)! Verily, we are the messengers from your Lord!
They shall not reach you! So travel with your family in a part of the night, and let not any of you look back;
but your wife (will remain behind), verily, the punishment which will afflict them, will afflict her.
Indeed, morning is their appointed time. Is not the morning near?"

82. So when Our Commandment came, We turned (the towns of Sodom in Palestine) upside down,
and rained on them stones of baked clay, in a well-arranged manner one after another;

83. Marked from your Lord; and they are not ever far from the Zalimun (polytheists, evil-doers).

Old 03-13-2023, 06:09 PM

11,400 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Quote:
I tried to read some passages but it’s very hard for me to understand because it’s written in old fashion English.

The New International Version is written in plain English.

I can't copy the entire passage due to copyright laws, although bible proponents would probably approve of your getting the word over copyright issues, but that is C-D policy.

Excerpt

But Lot said to them, “No, my lords, please! Your servant has found favor in your eyes, and you have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can’t flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I’ll die. Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn’t it? Then my life will be spared.”

He said to him, “Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of. But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it.” (That is why the town was called Zoar.)

By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

Link to entire passage for you to read for yourself.

Genesis 19

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...19&version=NIV

Old 03-13-2023, 06:13 PM

11,400 posts, read 5,955,356 times
Quote:
I tried to read some passages but it’s very hard for me to understand because it’s written in old fashion English.

Lot's wife died as punishment for disobedience to God, not due to her views on homosexuality.

I can't copy the entire passage due to copyright laws, although bible proponents would probably approve of your getting the word over copyright issues, but that is C-D policy.

Excerpt

18 But Lot said to them, “No, my lords,[b] please! 19 Your[c] servant has found favor in your[d] eyes, and you[e] have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can’t flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I’ll die. 20 Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn’t it? Then my life will be spared.”

21 He said to him, “Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of. 22 But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it.” (That is why the town was called Zoar.[f])

23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

Genesis 19

Old 04-12-2023, 09:17 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Lot's wife died as punishment for disobedience to God, not due to her views on homosexuality.

Excerpt

18 But Lot said to them, “No, my lords,[b] please! 19 Your[c] servant has found favor in your[d] eyes, and you[e] have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can’t flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I’ll die. 20 Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn’t it? Then my life will be spared.”

21 He said to him, “Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of. 22 But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it.” (That is why the town was called Zoar.[f])

23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

Genesis 19

Disobedience is a huge sin in dealing with the Old Testament God.
It also so happened to be the Original Sin.
Sometimes the punishment does not befit the crime however.
Destroying the whole townships is a questionable act in itself.
But most Christians would never question this, as He writes the rule book.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:32 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Disobedience is a huge sin in dealing with the Old Testament God.
It also so happened to be the Original Sin.
Sometimes the punishment does not befit the crime however.
Destroying the whole townships is a questionable act in itself.
But most Christians would never question this, as He writes the rule book.
This is an interesting point. My favorite story in the whole Bible is the one where God zapped Uzza for trying to steady the Ark with his hand.

Uzza was kind of in a no win situation on that because he likely would have gotten zapped just the same if the Ark had hit the ground... unless of course God blamed one of the other guys carrying the Ark.

But rules are rules. Touch the Ark...get zapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality