Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 08:08 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Oh dear, but there is PLENTY of references for one, who is interested. Starting with The Book of the Dead and, going through Upanishads, Vedas and what not. I shall even, blasphemous me, dare to mention such names as Blavatska... what makes me totally untrustworthy and, likely, mentally off as, unless it IS PUBLISHED IN GENERALLY ACCEPTED MAGAZINES, IN FORM OF PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES - that is not the truth, that is malarkey and hallucinations of inflamed mind!

So, yes, sorry, my friend, I do not have "research" you will accept as reasonable. We, sort of, spin on different orbits and, as such, our minds do not collide or intersect. Maybe, it shroud be left at that.....
Yes these holy books and religious tomes are all claims, not proof.

I don't think that 100% of everything that hasn't been peer reviewed is "malarky" or conversely that 100% of everything that has been peer reviewed isn't "malarky" as it's not a perfect system and involves, er, people. Also, peer review takes limited time and resources that may have not been allocated as yet.

So then we fall back on the principle that if a truth claim is not hugely consequential (requires your complete devotion and fealty in this life so that you will not burn in hell, say) or fantastical then one might try it and see if it has any utility perhaps.

So I'm more open than you suppose. I just have very clear guides that I follow.

If you make a study of Theosophy and regard it as a personal interest / hobby, then I'm actually interested in what ways you've found it useful. We can have such discussions without wasting time with butt-kicking contests about whether it's TRUE or not because I doubt you can demonstrate that, yes.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:11 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Why is reincarnation so controversial and polarizing?

This concept, in its essence, is very dangerous. It develops procrastination in humans. Why to work hard to progress now, if I can do it next life? It develops laziness and apathy. Pretty much, it is good only for kshatria, as it makes him a good warrior, knowing, that death does not exist. It removes fear of death and, fear of death is great motivator. Those, who fear death and final reckoning, tend to restrict themselves more than those, who don't.
But then again, vicarious attainment idea is no much better.

In one case, responsibility avoidance is excused by "I'll do it later", in the other case - someone else will do it for me.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:31 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:

This concept, in its essence, is very dangerous. It develops procrastination in humans. Why to work hard to progress now, if I can do it next life? It develops laziness and apathy. Pretty much, it is good only for kshatria, as it makes him a good warrior, knowing, that death does not exist. It removes fear of death and, fear of death is great motivator. Those, who fear death and final reckoning, tend to restrict themselves more than those, who don't.

In one case, responsibility avoidance is excused by "I'll do it later", in the other case - someone else will do it for me.
I would argue that the Abrahamic teaching of a sequential afterlife is equally encouraging of procrastination and all the arguments above could be just as well applied to that.

Reincarnation is controversial within the Abrahamic faiths because it conflicts with the afterlife teachings of those faiths.

I also think that if one actually thinks about reincarnation and its actual implications, it's not nearly so comforting as a once-and-done afterlife where "every tear is wiped away" and everything is finally resolved. That to me is much more to look forward to than an infinite regress of reincarnations that are not paradisiacal.

But then again I am accustomed to the Christian afterlife, having been raised in it -- so I could be wrong.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:34 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

Not so sure about that. Many people would look at the concept and say that they should work harder to perfect their actions so that their next birth can be better than their present birth.

I think the reason that it's controversial and polarizing is that it is simply not what the dominant religion teaches.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:14 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:

If one believes in reincarnation, they still have to start from scratch in the next life, so they can’t be complacent.
And how is the fear of death a great motivator?
It just means that time is limited, but we all know that regardless.
Believing in reincarnation doesn’t change a lot.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:39 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
If one believes in reincarnation, they still have to start from scratch in the next life, so they can’t be complacent.
Bingo. It happens regardless.
The goal is to stop the cycle. Follow the 8 fold path to the 4 Noble Truths.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:08 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Well, actually that's not what I've learned about reincarnation. In a sense, it's sort of like playing Monopoly. You go around the board. If it was a good trip around the board you have more money and perhaps more houses and hotels. If it was a bad trip around the board, you have less money and perhaps less houses and hotels. Ultimately, the game is over for you if you mostly advance and "win", or mostly go backwards and "lose".

Just keep one point in mind: if you are Buddhist, you are not required to believe in any one particular teaching.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:47 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:

Well, I don't want to take the blame for recommending this but, get yourself into a life threatening situation. then, circle back and tell us, if fear of death was not a motivating experience. I am talking about REAL threat, not philosophical musings while sitting in a comfortable chair at home. Life perspective change greatly, when the bony hand taps on your shoulder.

And no, "they" do not start from scratch. What was learned during previous existences, carries over. One can always choose otherwise and go against such inclinations but, eventually, school of hard knocks lessons become so embedded that this becomes impossible.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:55 PM

3,125 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Where do all the souls come from?
Other planets ...

Old 04-23-2022, 12:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:

The same could be said for religion in general though!

What if John Lennons song was accurate...a world with NO religion?...(what would the basis be for 'right from wrong' in such a world?) It would not exist...no one would fear being judged at death, for the actions during their lives! In other words, this world would be brutal and violent, only the strong surviving, the powerful ruling over the weak with an iron fist, etc, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality