Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 06:26 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'd caution you and yours to be a little more careful about describing some of these differences the way you do. Always strikes me as all too much thinking you have the "chops" or whatever ability to see things the way other people like me tend to see things. Nothing having to do with having chops in any case. Please. The facts of these matters is one thing. These sorts of comments are quite another...
Yeah, insult aside, you don't have to connect the dots for the good of your belief system. I have no such concern. The universe is what it is.

Lets look at the facts ...

we are part of a larger more complex system.

then we discuss ..

Do we have a classification that we can use to compare that system. I know you would prefer thinking that I don't know what you know, but comparing and unknown to a known is known as a measurement. Two bruad classifications are alive and not alive. With a tweener. The base unit is a cell. Just use that.

If you have the chops (I personally don't care here. If you have them you know the observations I use are basic) and we are in a belief site where we can just compare your claim to mine, then chops are not a concern. We can discuss what happens when you don't offer a belief and the one that is offered has a mechanism, explanation, is repeatable, and make predictions.

You known, since you imply you have the chops and want to focus on "facts".

Last edited by Arach Angle; 05-06-2022 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 06:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Well, if you call gravity and electromagnetism organizing principles, OK. And yes, biological self-organization is well described in Kauffman's At Home in the Universe.

Oh, you mean from the humans on this planet? Yeah.

Yeah, the standard model really tied together all the plethora of elementary particles.
"This whole hotchpotch of subatomic particles first appeared in the 1950s and '60s. 'Had I foreseen this I would have gone into botany,' was how Enrico Fermi reacted."
Then as Leon Lederman later said in one of his books when things were a little better understood....
"We will chronicle the construction of the standard model, which contains all the elementary particles needed to make all the matter in the universe, past or present, plus the forces that act upon these particles."
Of course, he was leaving out what makes up dark matter, which is yet unknown, not to mention dark energy, which is a near total mystery.
yes, I restrict my belief to the earth. That way I can just point to it and ask people "What do you think?" My belief is that the biosphere matches alive more than not alive. That is it. I have no emotional attachment to it past listen to people tell me where it is wrong and or comparing it to their belief.

humans and animals are "nodes" of complexity in the system. Like your brain is a node in you. I mean you are aware. You tummy is part of you and is not aware. In fact, using composition only, we are just a collection of atoms, one might say awareness shouldn't exists. As the "aliveness" grew in size and complexity it would probably have to make adjustments to allow for growth. Much like "aliveness" adjusted from single to multi celled organisms.

To the last part. The field theories tied it all together even more for me. I kind of saw it before but gravity waves sealed the deal for me. We are all on the same "space-time" frame work. Again, much like all those proteins are the same cell. Space-time may not be fundamental but we are all the exact same fields.

Space-time is having a human experience in our neck of the woods.

Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes, I restrict my belief to the earth. That way I can just point to it and ask people "What do you think?" My belief is that the biosphere matches alive more than not alive. That is it. I have no emotional attachment to it past listen to people tell me where it is wrong and or comparing it to their belief.

humans and animals are "nodes" of complexity in the system. Like your brain is a node in you. I mean you are aware. You tummy is part of you and is not aware. In fact, using composition only, we are just a collection of atoms, one might say awareness shouldn't exists. As the "aliveness" grew in size and complexity it would probably have to make adjustments to allow for growth. Much like "aliveness" adjusted from single to multi celled organisms.

To the last part. The field theories tied it all together even more for me. I kind of saw it before but gravity waves sealed the deal for me. We are all on the same "space-time" frame work. Again, much like all those proteins are the same cell. Space-time may not be fundamental but we are all the exact same fields.

Space-time is having a human experience in our neck of the woods.
I fear you are spiting into the wind with some people, Arach. They simply do not entertain the levels of abstraction that you so easily accommodate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality