Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 07:45 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

This thread is to share the wisdom in the teachings of different religions, spiritual paths, philosophies, and the wise, that provide tools for mental health and happiness. The Desiderata would qualify perfectly.
Feel free to share your piece of wisdom that has inspired you, helps you towards spirituality, that have had a positive impact in the way you think and behave, and that keeps you in a state of happiness and peace, even if only momentarily.
Please provide attribution if you know the source. The words are inspired by Divinity even as they are written by human hands. We will recognize that.

There are 6 qualities of character that one needs to have obtained before one is ready to seek moksha, freedom from fear and anxiety over uncertainties.
One of them is Titiksha, forbearance.

Withdraw from your Ego. The Ego is a construct born of delusion and ignorance.
Endure sorrow and setbacks.
Reject revenge.
Do not surrender to victimhood with lamentations.
— Vivekachoodamani, by Shankara. Verse 24, 25.

I think these instructions are tough. Moksha, while available to all of us, needs work, need striving.
Recalling this verse helps me to keep my ego in check, separate from my Self. The moment I am mindful of that my negative emotions drop. I am then able to deal with the situation with positive energy without any residual effect.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:13 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
A lot of people like to wear sunglasses. Maybe they're not just sunglasses.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:09 AM

427 posts, read 127,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
A lot of people like to wear sunglasses. Maybe they're not just sunglasses.

What do you mean? You think cb2008 is recommending the wearing "rose-tinted sunglasses"? Even if it is true, why isn't it mentally healthy to do that: An optimistic perception of something; a positive opinion; seeing something in a positive way, often thinking of it as better than it actually is.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:47 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Withdraw from your Ego. The Ego is a construct born of delusion and ignorance.
The ego needs to be strong and regulated in order to be mentally healthy. It’s when it is artificially elevated (delusion) or abandoned (poor self-esteem) when problems arise with one’s mental health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Spirituality is mental health
From my perspective, it’s more about relationships, values and finding life purpose for one’s self (rather than telling others how to think/believe re: spirituality/religion). That said, it requires a strong, regulated and healthy ego to accomplish such (and to accept others believe what they want to believe - particularly when we don’t see the logic in such).

Old 01-23-2023, 10:51 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The ego needs to be strong and regulated in order to be mentally healthy. It’s when it is artificially elevated (delusion) or abandoned (poor self-esteem) when problems arise with one’s mental health.

From my perspective, it’s more about relationships, values and finding life purpose for one’s self (rather than telling others how to think/believe re: spirituality/religion). That said, it requires a strong, regulated and healthy ego to accomplish such (and to accept others believe what they want to believe - particularly when we don’t see the logic in such).
Good post.

I have know people whose spirituality does contribute to their mental health. But I also have known people who become obsessed with spirituality (in its many forms) and who are anything but mentally well.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:

The ego is a figure of speech. Even your therapist will tell you that. How do you consider it mentally healthy to regulate and strengthen something that is an abstraction and not real like your body is?

How are your relationships going? What are your values and purpose in life? Explain how your ego, that fictitious high-esteemed personality you created, succeeds at enabling you to live your life.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:56 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
What do you mean?
It means what you think it means.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:02 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
The ego is a figure of speech. Even your therapist will tell you that. How do you consider it mentally healthy to regulate and strengthen something that is an abstraction and not real like your body is?
Everyone has an ego (and it strongly affects mental health); hence one simply can’t abandon it in order to be ‘spiritual’ (and expect to be healthy as well). I’ve never been to a therapist, but I can tell you regulating such (i.e. a healthy self-esteem, so to speak, vs. an over-inflated or poor one) is a basic point to psychological health (regardless of any spiritual belief) in the same way being too kind/generous or greedy/miserly can be as well. Hence the point of balance (and education) in life vs. ‘belief’, at least from my perspective.

Quote:
Explain how your ego, that fictitious high-esteemed personality you created, succeeds at enabling you to live your life.
I have enough (healthy) self-esteem (and purpose/personal relationships) relative to my very-real personality to not be threatened by what strangers think they know about me - or about my atheism, as a whole, for that matter. Conversely, one who does not is going to take things personally/become angry (which is a way of trying to protect their, perhaps over-inflated, ego). How is that going to enable them to live their life well?

Old 01-23-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Everyone has an ego (and it strongly affects mental health); hence one simply can’t abandon it in order to be ‘spiritual’ (and expect to be healthy as well). I’ve never been to a therapist, but I can tell you regulating such (i.e. a healthy self-esteem, so to speak, vs. an over-inflated or poor one) is a basic point to psychological health (regardless of any spiritual belief) in the same way being too kind/generous or greedy/miserly can be as well. Hence the point of balance (and education) in life vs. ‘belief’, at least from my perspective.

I have enough (healthy) self-esteem (and purpose/personal relationships) relative to my very-real personality to not be threatened by what strangers think they know about me - or about my atheism, as a whole, for that matter. Conversely, one who does not is going to take things personally/become angry (which is a way of trying to protect their, perhaps over-inflated, ego). How is that going to enable them to live their life well?

Ok, you have an ego and the healthy self-esteem to go with it. You have an ego and you have a body. What are you? Do you feel that you are the ego or is it a separate thing: a sense of self-esteem and purpose in life?

Old 01-23-2023, 01:56 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Everyone has an ego but it is not a physical thing that can be located in any part of the body. One cannot abandon that which only exist as an illusion. Ego can be damaged, hurt, bloated, diminished. The authentic Self remains the same, unchanging, stable. Getting in touch with that Self centers the being in reality. What gets hurt is the ego, not the Self which is always healthy, always content. Understanding the difference, withdrawing from the ego and embracing the Self, is what is mental health is all about. One way of getting in touch with one's authentic self is through spiritual inquiry.

This thread is not discussing atheism.

Last edited by cb2008; 01-23-2023 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality