Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 06:34 AM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
The link contains characteristics attributed to one god Allah, which is communicated by calling their God by those names. While Christians may call God by one name, I think it is understood that he is those things even if it is not as explicit as the other religions. For example, God (the merciful).

Brhman seems entirely different because we are part of it. Not sure if this is correct to say, but if somebody said "Brhman is merciful", then it can be concluded that everything is merciful. My experience with Christianity is that God is all of those things in the link but we humans are not.

bold above
we are part of Divinity. given that Divinity is both transcendent and immanent (both "out there" and also "in here" within us). Divinity is not apart from us. Divinity is a part of us. Divinity is not separate from us. We are an expression of Divinity. regardless of how we may be "acting" at any given moment. We can not ever be separate or apart from Source.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-30-2022 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 06:44 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above
we are part of Divinity. given that Divinity is both transcendent and immanent (both "out there" and also "in here" within us). Divinity is not apart from us. Divinity is a part of us. Divinity is not external to or separate from us. We are an expression of Divinity. regardless of how we may be "acting" at any given moment.
This sounds very similar to what Cb calls Brhman.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
This sounds very similar to what Cb calls Brhman.
my understanding is that Source and Divinity yes are as she describes

Old 04-30-2022, 07:19 AM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Wow, that was a slick segue into politics. I am under the impression this is a discussion about religion and concept of divinity within Hinduism. And you?
I'm not discussing the politics and don't wish to. I'm asking whether Hinduism is any more immune than any other religion to being (ab)used by outsiders who find it a useful tool. I gave a concrete example that might involve governmental (ab)use of Hinduism as a majority religion. I was prompted by the thought that it may be that the concept of divinity in Hinduism (as something other than a righteous judge / punisher) provides some immunity from this. That is all. You don't have to talk about anything you don't wish to though.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:26 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
The link contains characteristics attributed to one god Allah, which is communicated by calling their God by those names. While Christians may call God by one name, I think it is understood that he is those things even if it is not as explicit as the other religions. For example, God (the merciful).

Brhman seems entirely different because we are part of it. Not sure if this is correct to say, but if somebody said "Brhman is merciful", then it can be concluded that everything is merciful. My experience with Christianity is that God is all of those things in the link but we humans are not.
. All the religions mentioned worship divinity. The attributes of the divinity are recalled, meditated upon, prayed to and becomes worship. Hinduism considers this act of chanting these names, as is the chanting of the rosary, this worship with body and mind as karma. All religions use the rosary to meditate.

Brhaman has no parts, is undivided. The upanishad asserts what Brhman is, and that our self is the same, Tat tvam asi - that (the Cosmic Consciousness) is you (the self, micro consciousness). This truth is asserted in 5 different ways, called Maha Vakyas, Great Statements. These are not edicts. It welcomes you to experience the truth of these statements by doing your own observations, clear your own doubts, and internalize it and make it your own truth. That journey is the spiritual seeking.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above
we are part of Divinity. given that Divinity is both transcendent and immanent (both "out there" and also "in here" within us). Divinity is not apart from us. Divinity is a part of us. Divinity is not separate from us. We are an expression of Divinity. regardless of how we may be "acting" at any given moment. We can not ever be separate or apart from Source.
Yes. Thank you, Tzap.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm not discussing the politics and don't wish to. I'm asking whether Hinduism is any more immune than any other religion to being (ab)used by outsiders who find it a useful tool. I gave a concrete example that might involve governmental (ab)use of Hinduism as a majority religion. I was prompted by the thought that it may be that the concept of divinity in Hinduism (as something other than a righteous judge / punisher) provides some immunity from this. That is all. You don't have to talk about anything you don't wish to though.
I suggest that what you are trying to understand is better suited in Buddhism, books on World History, Ancient Indian history, or P&C.
Religion does not DO anything, it teaches. People do things. If you can remember these two things i think you may obtain clarity.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I suggest that what you are trying to understand is better suited in Buddhism, books on World History, Ancient Indian history, or P&C. Religion does not DO anything, it teaches. People do things. If you can remember these two things i think you may obtain clarity.
good answer, good response.

there are people who do bad things. to conflate people doing bad things with religion being bad ("used, abused by those who find it a useful tool"), is like saying commerce is a bad thing because there are people in commerce who lie cheat and steal. like saying marriage is a bad thing because people in marriage lie cheat and steal. like saying males are bad because males lie cheat and steal. like saying computer programming is bad because there are computer programmers who lie cheat and steal.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:08 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
. All the religions mentioned worship divinity. The attributes of the divinity are recalled, meditated upon, prayed to and becomes worship. Hinduism considers this act of chanting these names, as is the chanting of the rosary, this worship with body and mind as karma. All religions use the rosary to meditate.

Brhaman has no parts, is undivided. The upanishad asserts what Brhman is, and that our self is the same, Tat tvam asi - that (the Cosmic Consciousness) is you (the self, micro consciousness). This truth is asserted in 5 different ways, called Maha Vakyas, Great Statements. These are not edicts. It welcomes you to experience the truth of these statements by doing your own observations, clear your own doubts, and internalize it and make it your own truth. That journey is the spiritual seeking.
Thank you for mentioning Maha Vakyas. It is clear it fits in with what you are saying. I like the idea that one of the goals of spiritual seeking is to find that which unites even those points that seem completely unrelated.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning Maha Vakyas. It is clear it fits in with what you are saying. I like the idea that one of the goals of spiritual seeking is to find that which unites even those points that seem completely unrelated.
yes.
all paths lead to the same destination. many paths one mountain.
different maps may show different terrain but lead to the same place.

when a person goes deeply enough into any wisdom tradition (paths of religion and spirituality), they see this.
divinity is not proprietary. nor is access to divinity proprietary.
the paths which do not proselytize, which do not seek converts, recognize this.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-01-2022 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality