Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 10:55 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
There will always be something of an issue when everyone involved in a discussion is using there own definitions of these words. An issue somewhat resolved if everyone simply agrees to use the common dictionary definition which I have always pretty much known to be as follows: "Spirituality involves the recognition of a feeling or sense or belief that there is something greater than myself, something more to being human than sensory experience, and that the greater whole of which we are part is cosmic or divine in nature."
bold
yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 04:34 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
believing in some thing more is, by far, more observationally supported than not. "believers" will always out number "belief in nothing more" because it is just plain old common sense.

As soon as we have to answer to atheism, by being careful what we say so heist can't use it, and social change against religion, we are religion.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:44 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
There will always be something of an issue when everyone involved in a discussion is using there own definitions of these words. An issue somewhat resolved if everyone simply agrees to use the common dictionary definition which I have always pretty much known to be as follows:

"Spirituality involves the recognition of a feeling or sense or belief that there is something greater than myself, something more to being human than sensory experience, and that the greater whole of which we are part is cosmic or divine in nature."
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Out of that list, I only think of religion. I don't have any experience with psychics or tarot. For me, spirituality has always been associated with a certain kind of feeling and then behavior that follows so it wouldn't be just any religious person. It would be somebody who has demonstrated kindness, understanding, and patience to almost anyone that comes their way.
And that kind of person would be a cosmic person, out of this world - divine (to me).

Old 05-24-2022, 08:05 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
And that kind of person would be a cosmic person, out of this world - divine (to me).
To you? As in other than per the dictionary definition?

Divine: 1 : of or relating to God or a god divine will. 2 : being in praise of God : religious, holy divine worship. 3 : like a god The pharaohs of ancient Egypt were considered divine.

Or the same thing?

Old 05-24-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
To you? As in other than per the dictionary definition?

Divine: 1 : of or relating to God or a god divine will. 2 : being in praise of God : religious, holy divine worship. 3 : like a god The pharaohs of ancient Egypt were considered divine.

Or the same thing?
I feel that my definition has a similar sense; I used the words cosmic and divine. To put another way, here is a definition of a house: "a building for human habitation, especially one that is lived in by a family or small group of people." I am sure if I gave a picture of my house, there might be people who say "That isn't a house. A house "to me" would need this or that." Our ideas of what constitutes a house will have differences, but there would also be some similarities. That is where the dictionary comes in and this is its limitation.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I feel that my definition has a similar sense; I used the words cosmic and divine. To put another way, here is a definition of a house: "a building for human habitation, especially one that is lived in by a family or small group of people." I am sure if I gave a picture of my house, there might be people who say "That isn't a house. A house "to me" would need this or that." Our ideas of what constitutes a house will have differences, but there would also be some similarities. That is where the dictionary comes in and this is its limitation.
No doubt there are the limitations, and switching to the house analogy has me a little more confused than less so. I was hoping for more the yes or no answer with whatever further clarification you wanted to offer. Let me see if I can overcome my confusion for the sake of better understanding you...

Do you believe in the existence of a divine thing or things that are supernatural?

The "same sense" of or relating to a god or a divine will? As in something supernatural?

Old 05-25-2022, 10:10 AM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
No doubt there are the limitations, and switching to the house analogy has me a little more confused than less so. I was hoping for more the yes or no answer with whatever further clarification you wanted to offer. Let me see if I can overcome my confusion for the sake of better understanding you...

Do you believe in the existence of a divine thing or things that are supernatural?

The "same sense" of or relating to a god or a divine will? As in something supernatural?
Supernatural is a pointless word. Supernatural is a word specifically created by and for our ignorance, LearnMe. It is convenient as a means of dismissing things we do not YET understand. EVERYTHING is natural whether or not we understand it. Our vaunted human imagination has created and will continue to create awesome and majestic creations to fill that void. They may or may not have anything to do with what might actually fill the void. Personally, I look forward to seeing what is actually there.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Supernatural is a pointless word. Supernatural is a word specifically created by and for our ignorance, LearnMe. It is convenient as a means of dismissing things we do not YET understand. EVERYTHING is natural whether or not we understand it. Our vaunted human imagination has created and will continue to create awesome and majestic creations to fill that void. They may or may not have anything to do with what might actually fill the void. Personally, I look forward to seeing what is actually there.
Help me out then...

What word(s) should I use to properly distinguish between the belief in what you believe, for example, and people like me who don't?

For you it's a belief in "God" and/or "Jesus." For others it's spirituality. Supernatural, or what then?

I think describing anything as something we do not YET understand is simple and plainly understood by all of us well enough, but what of these alternative ways of describing what we don't YET understand? What do you call those who insist what we don't understand is somehow God like? Divine?

To distinguish between those of us who fully recognize what we don't YET understand but don't believe what we don't understand is anything other what we will eventually understand just like we have come to understand all other natural wonders we once didn't understand but now do?

You tell me?

Maybe I should just simply ask if someone is an atheist or not. Or is that too a "pointless" word according to you?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:13 AM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Help me out then...

What word(s) should I use to properly distinguish between the belief in what you believe, for example, and people like me who don't?

For you it's a belief in "God" and/or "Jesus." For others it's spirituality. Supernatural, or what then?

I think describing anything as something we do not YET understand is simple and plainly understood by all of us well enough, but what of these alternative ways of describing what we don't YET understand? What do you call those who insist what we don't understand is somehow God like? Divine?

To distinguish between those of us who fully recognize what we don't YET understand but don't believe what we don't understand is anything other what we will eventually understand just like we have come to understand all other natural wonders we once didn't understand but now do?

You tell me?

Maybe I should just simply ask if someone is an atheist or not. Or is that too a "pointless" word according to you?
It seems your confusion revolves around the unconscious assumption that God or the Divine must NOT be natural. There is no requirement for that despite all manner of opinions and assumptions about it. The opinions and imaginings of humanity do not and need not define what we do not yet fully understand. Your grounding in what you consider should be the consensual basis of understanding our Reality is not only NOT consensual, it is unlikely to ever BE consensual.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:

No. Hope that clears up the confusion. In terms of spirituality, though, I think that many people attempt to reach a higher level. That is what I was referring to much earlier.

Quote:
It would be somebody who has demonstrated kindness, understanding, and patience to almost anyone that comes their way.
Maybe you think that is just a nice person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality